Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: getting UK passport  (Read 524 times)

• Liked: 0
getting UK passport
« on: December 19, 2005, 02:03:15 AM »
OK, here is my rather odd situation and was just wondering if anyone else out there has had the same thing before.  i am in US and will be moving to the UK in the next year to be with DF.  I was however, born in Scotland. My dad was in the US Navy and i was born in Dunoon while he was stationed there.  I was born in '75 before the laws changed and therefore should be considered a Brit.  I have been told i can just send off my long form Scottish birth cert and the passport my mum drug me back into the US on and should be able to be issued a British passport. 

I was just trying to see if anyone out there knew of anyone with a similar situation who had done this and if it worked.  Also, if i do get the passport, i know i'll be able to travel in and out of the country no prob, but can i just go out and start working when i get there or is there more i have to do?
Thanks in advance for any advice!!

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
Re: getting UK passport
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 09:00:37 AM »
If you have the passport then you don't have a need for a visa and thus would be able to work.

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 12:08:01 AM »
brilliant! thanks, i was hoping i could just get it and go.  I am trying to find ways to move up the moving date in any way we can.

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 08:49:46 PM »
and this should be a cheapish option for you... no fiancee visa, FLR via, ILR visa fees... that alone would be about $1500 approx... have a great move!
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 12:15:43 AM »
and this should be a cheapish option for you... no fiancee visa, FLR via, ILR visa fees... that alone would be about $1500 approx... have a great move!

Meggles, thanks!  Yeah, the money it would save would be great.  I am hoping once i send off the application and the $150 that is the end of it.  I am keeping my fingers crossed.  I am prepared to go the other route if necessary, but it would sure speed things up.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab