Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: planning on moving to the UK  (Read 562 times)

• Liked: 0
planning on moving to the UK
« on: December 22, 2005, 05:22:12 AM »
Help please.....

Okay I don't know if anyone is familiar with what I'm going through but, I figured I'd post this in hopes that someone can relate and give me a bit of information. ???

Obviously I've decided to move to the United Kingdom.  I'm in a whirl of being so lost that I don't know which way to turn.  I do understand I need a settlement visa because I am married to a British citizen who resides in the United Kingdom.  But, here's where it gets tricky.  I have a 5 year old son whose dad has told me verbally it's okay for us to move to the United Kingdom yadda yadda.  Anyhow, I go to apply for the passports (being the typical American girl who never thought she'd leave America) I've never applied for a passport.  Well they tell me I need to have a form filled out by the other parent in order to apply for my son's passport.  Well I've spoke to his father and he has told me repeatedly for the past 2 weeks that he stopped off got the form I needed had it notarized and has sent it off to me.  What if he didn't send it to me?  Is there anyway I can go about getting my son's passport so I can apply for my settlement visa?  Or do I have to sit here and twiddle my thumbs and wait for him to send this form so I can get his passport?  Also, when I apply for my visa and pay for it do I have to pay separately for my son to have a visa as well or will it be a fee just for my visa alone considering he is a dependent?  If anyone would possibly help I would be very grateful..  Does anyone know the steps I need to take in order to bring my son the United Kingdom to live with my husband and myself.   :)

• Stupid bed!
Re: planning on moving to the UK
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 05:49:35 AM »
Welcome to UKY. As far as I know, you cannot obtain a passport for your son without his father's consent (i.e. paperwork). This protects children from being taken out of the country against one parent's wishes and is, for the most part, a very good law. Unfortunately, you will have to deal with his fatehr on the paperwork. Do you know anyone who lives in the city where he is? Maybe you could have them bring him the papers, watch him sign them, then forward them on to you. Or, they may be a service you can hire to perform this function for you.

Have you looked at the UKVisa site (ukvisas.gov.uk)? You can probably get most of your information there about the requirements to bring you son over as well as any fees. You may also want to do a search on this site for visa information. There's plenty of information here.

Good luck!
Forty is the old age of youth; fifty is the youth of old age
               - Victor Hugo-
Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family
.......in another city.
              -George Burns-
The leading cause of death among fashion models is falling
through street grates.
               - Dave Barry -

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 07:02:45 AM »
Why would your ex lie to you about sending you the form? Is it possible that it just got delayed or lost in the post? Does your ex live close to you, so that if the form doesn't show up, you can go with him to get it notarised so you can make sure he does it?

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 07:28:23 AM »
Your sons Father does have to sign the paperwork before you can obtain a Passport for your son. This is to prevent Kidnapping children and moving overseas with them where it is much harder to get them back.

Your son will have to have his own Passport (Somewhere around$100) which will be valid for 5 years and then you will have to get him another one and so on until he is 16 years old. This is because a childs apprearance can change so much over the years. Once the child is 16 yrs old, he can get his Passport and that will remain valid for 10 years just like any other adult.

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 10:22:03 AM »
Why would your ex lie to you about sending you the form? Is it possible that it just got delayed or lost in the post? Does your ex live close to you, so that if the form doesn't show up, you can go with him to get it notarised so you can make sure he does it?

maybe he is like my ex says one thing and does another just to be an awkward SOB........luckily I had sole custody.

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 10:12:46 PM »
Unfortnuately my ex likes to make up stories because he thinks it appeases me.  I understand there is a cost for my son's passport but, will I have to get a seperate visa for him or will he be included on my visa?  Sole custody is hard to get in the state of Texas unless you have loads of money <sigh> which unfortnately I don't have until I win the lottery lol.

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 10:16:57 PM »
Unfortnuately my ex likes to make up stories because he thinks it appeases me.  I understand there is a cost for my son's passport but, will I have to get a seperate visa for him or will he be included on my visa? 

read this post from garry, he posted something about that http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=6071.msg226846#msg226846

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 04:21:40 AM »
Yup you need the father to sign the form for the passport. You also need him to sign a notarized letter giving permission for your son to move to the UK with you when you apply for your visa (unless you have legal SOLE custody). When I applied for a fiancee' visa I had to pay for my daughter also. When I was married and got my FLR(m) she was included in the fee.

Good Luck with the process...I know it seems overwhelming---but in the long run it is quite easy.

Helena

Sponsored Links