Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: cat coming to heathrow from US - what should I expect?  (Read 1497 times)

• Liked: 0
cat coming to heathrow from US - what should I expect?
« on: December 27, 2005, 05:40:22 AM »
Hi there - I'm moving to London on January 15, and have put my cat through the PETS process, he can enter Feb 5.  I'm coming over though on Jan 15.  So I've emailed a few kennels about boarding and got some big quotes for fees.

Any advice on bringing a cat in?  Is this going to be a complext nightmare, or simple?  Am I going to get killed on fees?  Any advice appreciated.   I haven't booked by airfare or kennel yet - will do that next week.

Cheers

Keith
misterpanda@yahoo.com

Re: cat coming to heathrow from US - what should I expect?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 04:29:01 PM »
Well...  make sure you have your paperwork in order.  Make sure you have it certified by the proper authorities in the US and that the vet dates and times your paperwork when your cat is given the tick treatment before departure.  After that, it was actually a pleasure. 

I called frequently to heathrow beforehand to make sure that I had everything in order.  the airline told me I had to have a reservation but the heathrow people laughed - they're open 24 hours and have to take the animal when it comes in.  The people there are so friendly and helpful and there was no trouble at all.  Also, there is free parking there.  I can get more details if you need it, but call them before and they'll fill you in on what you have to do. 

It takes about 3-4 hours to clear the animal, so plan accordingly.  I called before I left home to check on the process and to make sure my cat was still alive (she was and hadn't attacked anyone!).  The cat has to clear PETS first and then customs.  You also need a customs form as well.  The people at Heathrow faxed that to me and I mailed it back. 

There were no fees when I collected her.  In fact, they didn't even check my id, which surprised me considering it was my brother who brought her over for me.  The only things I paid for was the PETS process before, and the airline fee which was about $200.  They also say (somewhere I read in the process) that the animal has to be accompanied by a person, but I ended up sending her on a different flight from my brother so in reality, the animal doesn't have to be accompanied.

I expected the whole process to be a complex nightmare but it wasn't.  Once the paperwork was done, it was a breeze.  They really know what they're doing at Heathrow and it shows.

My feeling was that they took very good care of my kitty and she was no worse for wear from her journey.  THe paperwork was a headache but it was worth it.  And she didn't have to go into quarantine.   
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 11:01:02 AM by mrspink »

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 07:12:07 AM »
thanks!  couple more ?'s for you though

* do you have a # at heathrow that you called?
* did you do everything yourself, or hire an agent?
* what airline did your pet take?
* is the customs form an "import permit"

I'm still worried - seems to be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many charges, paperwork, etc. 

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 09:00:09 AM »
The Animal Reception Centre at heathrow is 44-208-745-7894/5  or the link is
www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/arc

They have an agent handle the animal and will forward you to the agent.  but they are extremely helpful at HARC.

I didn't hire an agent because I had my brother in Canada to do it all for me (cat was 2 months behind us)  but if I hadn't had a family member, I would have hired an agent. 

I sent her through Canada - air Canada and there were no problems at all.  I''ve moved this cat around a lot and always sent her in the cargo hold (travelling with us and without) and never had any problems

As far as I know, the customs form was a customs form to declare the animal.  talk to the people at HARC, they'll make sure you have the right form.

I looked over all the paperwork again and really, there were no more charges.  Make absolutely sure that all your paperwork is in order though and you will have no problems.  If your paperwork is not in order, you will face charges because the cat will immediately go into quarantine. This is not  at all the kind of government nightmare that you tend to see in North America, I certainly expected it would be and was more than pleasantly surprised.

I was very worried about the whole process also and in the end, it was quite easy, so keep your questions coming, I'm happy to help.

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 06:41:19 PM »
I'm also bringing my cat over from Canada. Right now I'm waiting to hear back on her blood test so I pray all is OK.
I have been speaking to James Cargo at Heathrow which are the people that will check her once she arrives.

I'm doing this on my own and yes there is alot of paperwork and stress but there are alot of people out there will to help.

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 06:42:59 PM »
Well...  make sure you have your paperwork in order.  Make sure you have it certified by the proper authorities in the US and that the vet dates and times your paperwork when your cat is given the tick treatment before departure.  After that, it was actually a pleasure. 

I called frequently to heathrow beforehand to make sure that I had everything in order.  the airline told me I had to have a reservation but the heathrow people laughed - they're open 24 hours and have to take the animal when it comes in.  The people there are so friendly and helpful and there was no trouble at all.  Also, there is free parking there.  I can get more details if you need it, but call them before and they'll fill you in on what you have to do. 

It takes about 3-4 hours to clear the animal, so plan accordingly.  I called before I left home to check on the process and to make sure my cat was still alive (she was and hadn't attacked anyone!).  The cat has to clear PETS first and then customs.  You also need a customs form as well.  The people at Heathrow faxed that to me and I mailed it back. 

Which airport in Canada did your Cat fly from ?

There were no fees when I collected her.  In fact, they didn't even check my id, which surprised me considering it was my brother who brought her over for me.  The only things I paid for was the PETS process before, and the airline fee which was about $200.  They also say (somewhere I read in the process) that the animal has to be accompanied by a person, but I ended up sending her on a different flight from my brother so in reality, the animal doesn't have to be accompanied.

I expected the whole process to be a complex nightmare but it wasn't.  Once the paperwork was done, it was a breeze.  They really know what they're doing at Heathrow and it shows.

My feeling was that they took very good care of my kitty and she was no worse for wear from her journey.  THe paperwork was a headache but it was worth it.  And she didn't have to go into quarantine.   

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 08:38:00 PM »
I had her connect in Toronto and then she flew from there.   In Canada it is easy to have an animal go on the approved route, because you can always get a connecting flight, from Montreal, Toronto, Calgary or Vancouver. 

If you have followed all of the procedures - and make sure the certificate is certified by the proper authorities - there should be no problems.  I had none, once I had everything in order. 

Sponsored Links