Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hairstylist needs help!  (Read 712 times)

• desperate stylist
  • Liked: 0
Hairstylist needs help!
« on: December 28, 2005, 07:07:33 PM »
HI everyone. I'm new here and I'm looking for some help. I will be moving to Canterbury in March to stay with some friends,as of right now its just an extended vacation, but if I love it there as much as I did on my previous vist I would be interested in making the move permanent. I am a hairstylist of 7 years and its what I love and do best. I have been trained and worked in NY and PA in some of the best places, but from the research I have been doing, it seems next to impossible to get a uk work permit to be a hairstylist!I am trying to make a fesh start in life and would really like to make the move, but if I'm unable to get sponsered obviously I won't be able to. Does anyone have any stories or suggestions on steps I would need to take in order to get a job as a hairstylist?Also, should I start the process here and send out my CV( a whole other problem in writing one to English format. :P) or wait untill I'm over there?
Thanks so much anything would be appreciated!
Maire

• Liked: 2
Re: Hairstylist needs help!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 07:27:51 PM »
Hi Maire, we live in Canterbury too!

The short answer to your question is that you almost definitely won't be able to get a work permit as a hairstylist  because hair stylists are not in short supply here.  If you had plenty of money to invest (I think it's minimum of £20 000) you might be able to get a business visa to start your own salon.   Do you have any European ancestry that might qualify you for a passport of an EU member state? Then you wouldn't need a visa.

Sorry that isn't better news but hope you have a good stay in Canterbury, maybe we'll bump into each other somewhere!

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 07:33:16 PM »
I don't have any job hunting advice, but I would think it would not be wise to mention to the IO at the airport that you are "moving" to the UK. You could be denied entry if they think you are trying to settle without a proper visa.
"I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck

• desperate stylist
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 12:04:35 AM »
Thanks so much, its not anything I haven't already figured,hopefully somewhere there is a chance...
And thanks for the reminder that I really shouldn't use the word "move", youre right, it wouldn't go over too well!lol ;D
Maire

• desperate stylist
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 12:51:14 AM »
Hi Maire, we live in Canterbury too!

The short answer to your question is that you almost definitely won't be able to get a work permit as a hairstylist  because hair stylists are not in short supply here.  If you had plenty of money to invest (I think it's minimum of £20 000) you might be able to get a business visa to start your own salon.   Do you have any European ancestry that might qualify you for a passport of an EU member state? Then you wouldn't need a visa.

Sorry that isn't better news but hope you have a good stay in Canterbury, maybe we'll bump into each other somewhere!
Do you happen to know how to go about getting a EU passport? My grandfather and all great-grandparents were born in Italy and/or Sicily..does that count?
Maire

• Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 09:01:02 AM »
I don't know ... contact the Italian embassy nearest to you and ask if that qualifies you for Italian citizenship/passport ... if it does you're in!  Good luck.

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 07:47:06 PM »
Do you happen to know how to go about getting a EU passport? My grandfather and all great-grandparents were born in Italy and/or Sicily..does that count?

If any of your Italian ancestors did not renounce their Italian citizenship before their children were born in the USA, you should be able to claim Italian citizenship.  Here's the link for the New York Consulate:  http://www.italconsulnyc.org/Frame_inglese.htm  The FAQ section should help you out.  Be aware, it's a VERY slow process.  (From someone who's been there.) 
Bored

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 08:16:30 PM »

• desperate stylist
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 12:28:11 AM »
Thanks again guys...I can't believe how difficult its going to be! :P
Maire

• CINDY AND DAVE
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 12:34:54 AM »
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en/home.html

ty this site...this has the laws that apply to imigrating to the UK

goodluck
:) Cindy

• CINDY AND DAVE
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 12:40:36 AM »
http://www.iasuk.org/C2B/document_tree/ViewACategory.asp?CategoryID=1

here is another..im digging thru what i have been using for the last 2 years......my application differs....but the starter info came from here
:) Cindy

Sponsored Links