Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Recourse to public funds?  (Read 1714 times)

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
Re: Recourse to public funds?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 10:09:13 AM »
I believe that tax credits are dependent upon income whereas child benefit isn't.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2006, 10:09:56 AM »
Same here, Pebbles. But that was quite a while ago for us. I don't know if the rules have changed.

Yes its been nearly five years for us.
Do child tax credits or child benefit depend on income?
As I understand it everyone is entitled to child benefit regardless of income. I think tax credits are income based. We dont receive anything but child benefit.

Oh, sorry Cait. I posted before I read your response.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2006, 10:25:38 AM »
Thanks Cait and Pebbles for the info.

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 01:10:00 PM »
Has anyone tried to obtain the disability living allowance?  My husband will be the one trying to claim it for our daughter.  I'm on an ILE but husband and daughters are citizens. 

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2006, 02:20:24 PM »
Do child tax credits or child benefit depend on income?

Tax credits are means-tested.  Yes, they are dependent on income.  Working Tax Credit tops out at about £14,000/pa. - and yes, that's joint income.

Has anyone tried to obtain the disability living allowance? My husband will be the one trying to claim it for our daughter. I'm on an ILE but husband and daughters are citizens.

If you're on ILE, you can claim DLA, or DLA on a minor British national.  But you have to qualify and that's apparently a whole different ball of wax.  But it's deffo something your child would be eligible for if she qualifies for it.  Absolutely.  Your GP would be your first port of call.

As you have indefinite leave to remain, you could also be eligible for Carer's Allowance if you are hte primary carer for a disabled child who is a UK national.

The forms are a book but deffo worth looking into.

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2006, 09:32:06 PM »
::thread highjack::
Thanks expat!  I have the form and you are right, it is more like a book.  Based on conversations with parents of children with the same syndrome she will qualify. Most qualify for the low and some for the medium benefit.    I may wait a few more months though since one of the requirements is that the child be in the UK for 26 of the last 52 weeks.  We have been in the UK since June of 2005.  They also ask if they have lived outside the country in the past 24 months (I think it is 24, I'm too lazy to go downstairs to verify). 
Plus, and this is my problem, actually putting to paper all that is not 'ordinary' about her.   
I'll also check into the carers allowance.   
I just didn't want to try to obtain benefits that we would not be eligible for. 
::end highjack::

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2006, 10:18:11 PM »
even low care/low mobility adds up to about £125/month (there are two 'components' to DLA - care and mobility).  if your child needs a therapy that's not available on the NHS, or that's easily accessible, this can really help!  and if you've had to give up your job or income potential to care for a disabled child, by all means go for carer's allowance.

also, child tax credits are higher if the child is disabled.

hth!  :D

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2006, 07:19:19 PM »
If you go into the inland rev web site and put in immigration there  is a list of there rules it is very interesting and I think everyone who reads it will find it interesting.

I found it to be a real eye opener and it states right at the end if a someone is claiming tax credits then the person who is here on a visa there (immigration status) is not to be taken into account and the claim is to be treated as if the visa does not exist (words to that effect).

I found it by accident but its worth a look.

Sponsored Links