Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Turn in Voters card?  (Read 632 times)

• Have I really been here 4 years?!
    • Cakes by Rach - custom cakes for any occasion
  • Liked: 0
Turn in Voters card?
« on: January 09, 2006, 02:53:31 PM »
Hi, I am new to the forum. My husband I believe has been posting (Jeremai). We are currently in Baltimore MD, and will be hopefully moving to the UK (back to the UK for my husband), at the end of the year. We have asked before about taxes that we might have to pay here, and someone told us that in order not to pay Maryland State taxes, that we basically have to sever all ties with Maryland. I was curious if this included my voters card. Do I have to turn it in? I know that I can still vote in the US for president and things like that via absentee ballet, but I didn't know how exactly that works. right now I am registered in Maryland to vote, but if I am in the UK, what state, if any would I be registered with? Do I just register with the US embassy in London when I get there, and that would change it for me? If anyone could be of some help it would be greatly appreciated.   :)

Re: Turn in Voters card?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 03:45:01 PM »
when i moved to the UK- I became a US Citizen w/o a permant residency/state in the US.  therefore, I cannot vote in any state elections (formerly of NJ).  however, i still vote in federal elections by requested an absentee ballot from the county clerk of the last county I lived in.  hope that helps a wee bit.
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

• Death and taxes: I'd rather pay tax than be dead.
    • British American Tax
Re: Turn in Voters card?
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 09:35:57 PM »
You can register at the Embassy, or whenever you return home for a visit.  You register in the state of your last residency.
Liz Z i t z o w, EA
British American Tax

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab