Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: interesting finds in family research  (Read 10981 times)

• tenez dessus fortement sur vos rêves
  • Liked: 0
interesting finds in family research
« on: January 10, 2006, 09:00:45 PM »
has anyone found anything interesting in family their family history?.  i have recently found out my great grandfather was a deep seadiver in the late 1890s, and unfortunately drowned in hudson bay Canada in 1902, never know I  could have been born Canadian  :D My niece has also traced our family tree back to 1790 where my numerous greats grandfather was a farmer in Cheshire .
its a far better thing i do than i have ever done

Re: interesting finds in family research
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 09:28:35 PM »
I recently discovered that my husband's family and my family are both from the same small area of western Russia.  Granted, this was many generations ago, but we could actually be related! :o

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 09:34:18 PM »
one of my ancestors, an uncle, created something called wave mechanics and won the nobel prize for it..I've no idea what wave mechanics is tho...

edited to say: I did a google search on wave mechanics and found this:

wave mechanics
n. (used with a sing. or pl. verb)

A theory that ascribes characteristics of waves to subatomic particles and attempts to interpret physical phenomena on this basis

« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 09:38:52 PM by EnglandsYank »

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 09:38:57 PM »
According to my moms cousin research, a very long time ago the family had a castle in England.  The castle was lost due to unpaid taxes.

• my name is jonas
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 09:43:01 PM »
one of my ancestors, an uncle, created something called wave mechanics and won the nobel prize for it..I've no idea what wave mechanics is tho....

HOLY COW!!! :o that's amazing!  There's a whole waves & thermodynamics class at my high school.  I didn't take it because it's too freaking hard.  I took the easier physics choice.
had a bit of a wobble.

• my name is jonas
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 09:50:08 PM »
I am a direct descendant of George Cartwright and Dorothy Mollineux.  Their family home was Ossington in Nottinghamshire and they lived there back to the 16th century.  One of them married Thomas Cranmer's sister and they were all apparently militant protestants.

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/articles/tts/tts1902/autumnexcursion1902/ossington1.htm

It's crazy that the familly went to America via the Netherlands and ended up in Mississippi where after five generations, I was produced and moved back to England!

(the mississippi branch seems to be full of criminals and addicts)
had a bit of a wobble.

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 10:01:49 PM »
My mom was an indian geneologist...she traced our line back to Shakespeares Doomsday books of 1086

It talks about the Piping Pebsworth.........

she also traced my dad's line and it seems someone from her line killed someone from his line...

His line was a Texas Ranger and her line was the Renegade........

Go Figure

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 10:03:57 PM »
I've done a lot of family history research (haven't done anything new for years though) and have traced my dad's direct line beyond 1066 and into Normandy. I am hoping to visit some of the places they lived before moving to "America" in 1628 from southwest England.

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 10:23:47 PM »
my great grandfather was Indian (from India) and had to change his last name to something more Westernized so that he could marry a Catholic woman (my great grandmother.)  My last name could have been Singh, hehe :) Also, don't know if this counts, but my other great-grandfather was Chinese and his wife (my other great-grandmother) was Hispanic (from Venezuela)- I am neither.  And this is all on the paternal side of the family- my mother's family is quite boring in comparison :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 10:26:41 PM by Rose »
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 11:24:47 PM »
A book was written tracing my grandfather's family (through his mother) back to pre-1000 AD. (We were an illegitimate branch of the family.)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• tenez dessus fortement sur vos rêves
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 07:53:13 PM »
wow everyone has great fascinating information about their family history knocks mine for 6  lol ;D
its a far better thing i do than i have ever done

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 07:56:34 PM »
wow everyone has great fascinating information about their family history knocks mine for 6  lol ;D

But yours is cool because you didn't know about the Canada connection. Mine goes back a long way, but there are no surprises.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 08:09:53 PM »
Hey, at least you both KNOW your family history!  I don't know anything specific previous to the late nineteenth century.  I know generally what area my dad's family is from in Russia, and that's it.  My mom's side of the family is from Hungary, but all my relatives that hadn't emmigrated disappeared during WWII.  I'd love to have a nice, long history to look at even if it was dull! :D

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2006, 08:15:23 PM »
How do you find these things out and how difficult is it?

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 08:24:12 PM »
Start with your last known ancestor...usually great grandparent, you should know their birthdate and place of birth. You can call this town/city's clerk and request a copy of their birth certificate...this will list their parents names and places of birth, usually...you can go on from there....and so on and so on...it gets addictive!

You can go to state archives etc for research too...if feasible. They have birth/death/marriage/census records. LDS churches sometimes have family history libraries (mormon churches) and they have the ability to borrow records on micro fiche from Salt Lake City. They have the largest collection of family history records in the world...from all over the world!

I am from New England...there are many genealogy groups there to get information from. Also, some information is online. I have found ship's lists etc. online.

It is fun...if you have the time.

Sponsored Links