Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Bringing a cat and dog into the UK  (Read 1221 times)

• Liked: 0
Bringing a cat and dog into the UK
« on: January 11, 2006, 12:49:18 PM »
Hi all,

My partner has just been issued a Fiancée Visa and she is due to arrive on 1st February. She is currently a few months into the process of making her pets ready and legal to enter the UK (we will be bringing them back in March). It is most likely that we will do this with BA to Heathrow, rather than BMI to Manchester (which would be nearer).

I have a number of questions:

1. Can she leave the UK in March on the Fiancée visa and will there be a problem re-entering the UK?

2. What Duty needs to be paid on pets?

3. How far in advance do you need to book with BA? We have had contradictory information on this.

4. How soon after the 6 month process is over do the animals need to be brought back?

5. Is it true that the animals need to be wormed with parasite treatment no more than 48 hours before arriving in the UK?

Any other help would be great. We have done so much work already.

Please help if you can.
Many thanks,
Seamus

Re: Bringing a cat and dog into the UK
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 12:54:05 PM »
You should check the DEFRA website for specifics - it's a complicated, time-consuming, expensive process and NOT one that you want to make mistakes in so I'd suggest going to the official website first! I scrapped plans to bring my cat 'cause it was just too expensive!  :\\\'(

• Stupid bed!
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 02:38:33 PM »
Seamus, somewhere on here is a thread started by a woman in Houston who ships pets for a living. She posted a link to some wonderful "insiders" info. I printed out all of the DEFRA stuff AND her info for my vet. Just use the Search above and you should find it. Good luck!
Forty is the old age of youth; fifty is the youth of old age
               - Victor Hugo-
Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family
.......in another city.
              -George Burns-
The leading cause of death among fashion models is falling
through street grates.
               - Dave Barry -

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 04:22:20 PM »
hi there, my dog just passed the 6 months.  Ive spent hundreds already just getting the microchip, rabbies vacc and blood test.  Another $125 for the crate, oh and theres the matter of $2000 airline ticket on BA from SFO to LHR. (ouch)  So, start your homework now on the defra site and with your vet.  And yes you have to do the tick/worm thingie 24-48 hours blah blah blah!!!!!  It was more time consuming and EXPENSIVE for her to get over there than me!

GOOD LUCK!
Jenn

Sponsored Links