Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Questions regarding passports, working/living in UK, etc  (Read 597 times)

• Liked: 0
Questions regarding passports, working/living in UK, etc
« on: January 12, 2006, 07:16:09 PM »
First, a little background.  I am a US citizen born and raised in the United States.  Both my parents were born in the UK but are also US citizens and have lived in the US for 40 years+.  I still have a number of extended family members who have lived in the UK all their lives.  I also have a british birth certificate in addition to my US one (thanks to forethought from my mom when I was born).  After reading various pieces of information on websites and in print, it seems I would have no problem obtaining a British passport.  I am planning on moving to the UK sometime in the coming year but am unsure what steps to take to get started. 

Is it advisable for me to get a british passport or a visa? 
What about working... would I need a work visa if I get a british passport? 
Would this affect my US citizenship? 
Would I need to be sponsored by a potential employer?
Would I be able to keep my US passport and are there restrictions/limitations to when I need to use it in order not to jeopardize my US citizenship?  How do I establish residency in the UK... is working/living in the UK with a british passport enough? 
Does having a british passport mean that I inherently have "right of abode"?

I have read various articles on all sorts of websites but it is all a little confusing and a bit of a jumble.  I found this site hoping I could learn from and get advice from other US citizens who have moved to the UK.  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time  :)

Re: Questions regarding passports, working/living in UK, etc
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 07:23:29 PM »
1. British passport, without a doubt.
2. No visa of any sort needed- your passport gives you the right to live and work in the UK without any restrictions.
3. No.
4. No.
5. Yes- use your US passport when entering and leaving the US, and you'll be fine.
6. Yes.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 07:29:43 PM »
Rose is spot on. Get the British passport and you can live and work anywhere in Europe.

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 07:33:24 PM »
Fabulous!  Thank you so much... so nice to have an answer so fast.  There is so much information out there it's mind boggling  :o

Cheers :)

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 01:41:23 PM »
Does having a british passport mean that I inherently have "right of abode"?

Small technicality:  By what you've written you have ROA now.  A passport allows you to exercise it.

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 04:09:17 PM »
Thank you for the clarification... that makes sense :)

Sponsored Links