Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: cheese on toast?  (Read 1949 times)

• Liked: 0
cheese on toast?
« on: November 14, 2003, 07:06:08 PM »
at our wedding reception party, i was talking to my husband's uncle, who is British...

we were talking about cheese, and i mentioned that i was from the Land of Cheese (aka. Wisconsin).  we were taking about different cheeses, ways to eat it, etc...

then he says: "have you ever has cheese on toast?"

i was like: "...wtf?! are you SERIOUS?!"

then he goes on about how good it is, like it is some sort of delicacy or something...

i'm like: "dude.  what the hell are you talking about?  cheese on toast?! that's like something you eat in your college dorm or for a snack when the fridge is empty..."

then he says how i should really try it cuz its so good and stuff.

[smiley=laugh4.gif] is this really a "meal" in England?...

i mean, a grilled cheese is one thing, but cheese on toast?  thats the sort of thing i ate when i had my first apartment and was too lazy to fry it up...
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

Re: cheese on toast?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2003, 07:20:28 PM »
You make it on the grill-it's lovely.  Melted cheddar cheese on a piece of bread toasted on one side. Some people add worcester sauce or you can go the whole hog and have a Welsh Rabbit (yum).  

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 07:43:55 PM »
...but its just plain bread and cheese, though, right? ???
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 11:12:22 PM »
I make cheese on toast for my daughter sometimes, and I love Welsh rabbit...it's like a big piece of fondue! ;D

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2003, 11:53:03 PM »
Yum...I love cheese toast. :P

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2003, 12:26:58 AM »
Mmm... good stuff. :)  It SOUNDS plain, but is actually very good.. and surprisingly filling.  I"ll make it if I can't be bothered with something else.  It is a "lazy" food, and not really a proper meal, but a good snack. :)

• and you are?
    • biggest APPLE
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2003, 07:03:45 AM »
What shocks the hell out of me is how many of my kids' friends have Beans on Toast for dinner. Not only that but they have it several times a week!!!

• Banned

• English, living in Lewes, East Sussex
    • Pagination Associates
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2003, 05:56:20 PM »
You make it on the grill-it's lovely.  Melted cheddar cheese on a piece of bread toasted on one side. Some people add worcester sauce or you can go the whole hog and have a Welsh Rabbit (yum).

Another way to do it is to grate the cheese (good strong Lancashire, Cheshire, Wensleydale or Caerphilly are excellent for this), then mix this with about a tablespoon of mayonnaise.  Add mustard to this if you like, or any relish or sauce of your choice.  Spread this on the untoasted side of your bread and place under grill until golden-brown and bubbling.  It's scrummy-yummy, and takes no time to do!  I like to added chopped spring onions (I think you call them scallions?) or chives to the mixture.  I quite often add finely chopped smoked bacon, or ham.  You can also add tomato paste for a pizza-ish taste, or pesto, or, or, or, well, whatever your tast-buds and imagination suggest!

Welsh Rabbit is gorgeous when made with a little Guiness, and surmounted by a poached egg and garnished with cress or parlsey, or a little green salad to salve your conscience!!!
Deo gratias Anglia redde pro victoria

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2003, 10:58:51 PM »

Another way to do it is to grate the cheese (good strong Lancashire, Cheshire, Wensleydale or Caerphilly are excellent for this), then mix this with about a tablespoon of mayonnaise.  Add mustard to this if you like, or any relish or sauce of your choice.  Spread this on the untoasted side of your bread and place under grill until golden-brown and bubbling.  It's scrummy-yummy, and takes no time to do!  I like to added chopped spring onions (I think you call them scallions?) or chives to the mixture.  I quite often add finely chopped smoked bacon, or ham.  You can also add tomato paste for a pizza-ish taste, or pesto, or, or, or, well, whatever your tast-buds and imagination suggest!

you're making me hungry..lol. :P

Welsh Rabbit is gorgeous when made with a little Guiness, and surmounted by a poached egg

I've never had Welsh rabbit. I'll have to try it. (minus the egg of course :-X)

or a little green salad to salve your conscience!!!

hehe ;D

• Banned

• English, living in Lewes, East Sussex
    • Pagination Associates
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2003, 02:00:21 AM »
You know, Melissa, I made myself hungry writing that recipe, and went and made myself some immediately after! :)

A standard recipe for Welsh Rabbit can be found at:

http://www.hwatson.force9.co.uk/cookbook/recipes/starters/welshrarebit.htm

Deo gratias Anglia redde pro victoria

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2003, 04:23:29 PM »

now THAT sounds yummie!  like a lil mini-pizza or something!  mmmmmmm.... ;D

• Liked: 2
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2003, 05:03:52 PM »
would you guys stop talking about yummy cheese things when i am at work with no cheese handy. i am having major cheese cravings now!   :P

• Liked: 1
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2003, 05:31:43 PM »
I love cheese.  You guys should try some of the traditional cheeses in the UK. The ones that melt nicely and don't leave a grease pool in the plate.  Devon and Cornwall are Dairy heaven.  Don't forget real cheddar in Somerset at http://www.slowfood.com/eng/sf_arca_presidi/sf_scheda_presidio_mondo.lasso?idpres=PR_064   Something even a "cheese head" can appreciate!

« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 01:13:10 AM by vnicepeeps »
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2003, 12:35:04 AM »
Last night my sweetie made me his version of cheese on toast.

Very yummy,the only thing that he didnt use was butter,but I will when I make it.Iam real butter person ;D

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2003, 02:05:32 PM »
would you guys stop talking about yummy cheese things when i am at work with no cheese handy. i am having major cheese cravings now!   :P

lol

i know...!  everytime i start reading threads on the food board, i have to go and make a snack! :P

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab