Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How much $$ should be saved before immigrating?  (Read 1787 times)

How much $$ should be saved before immigrating?
« on: August 20, 2002, 08:03:36 PM »
Hi everyone,

I was wondering on an estimate how much money would be wise to save before immigrating to England? I will be comming to London in four years time, so at least I have got the grace of time.

According to my calculations, if I saved 192.00$ a month for four years I could have approxmatelty 10.000$ in the bank. But I mean realistically is this possible?? I think not. I am still a student and must mind the 2.000 dollar student loan that will have to start be being paid back 6 months after graduation. Also, I must account for the normal expensives of life and any possible emergencies.

I mean I will be working 20 hours a week for 8$ a week if I am lucky.

Of course I have to start saving for immigration....and that has plenty of expenses and worries with it too.
What does everyone else think?

thanks,

Samantha**** :)

• I love mankind...It's people I can't stand.
  • Liked: 0
Re: How much $$ should be saved before immigrating
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2002, 08:10:03 PM »
Well let's see.  When I did it, we had to pay for flights and actually getting over there which was about $900-1000 (there were two of us though), then shipping costs were not quite so much because left a lot of stuff behind, but if you want to ship all your stuff over at once you're looking at at least $1000 for that, then my visa which allows me to live and work in the UK indefinately was over $400 and then I think it's really just living expenses when you're there until you find a job and can support yourself.  

But keep in mind it's been like 5 years since I've done this so it might have changed.  Maybe someone who has done it more recently will have better figures.

Hope it helped a little anyway.  Good luck!
Friends don't let friends get "Friends" haircuts!

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2002, 02:24:18 AM »
Yes, I have the same question...what amount would be consider efficient to apply for the visa (either finance(e) and marriage)...

Thanks,
Carol
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

A strong woman has faith that she is strong enough for the journey but a woman of strength has faith that it is the journey that she will become strong...

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2002, 10:30:02 AM »
Hi Hindugirl and Graceful.

I couldn't really say how much it costs to come over here as a student and get by since I haven't done it that way.  But I can tell you that if you are going to be living here in London, plan on it being a lot.  The cost of living here is incredible.  

Rent alone is upwards of about £800 a month for a very small flat on the outskirts of London.  That's right around $1400!!

As for how much you need to have for the marriage/fiance(e) visa, there is no set amount.  I had about a $1000 in my bank account and was granted the visa, so if you go from that, you don't need that much.  More important is what your future spouse has and can provide before you are married.  The longer you plan on waiting to get married after you arrive, the more money you'll need to have saved up to show you can support yourself without working.  We got married about three weeks after I arrived, so that probably has something to do why I didn't need much cash.

Anyway, best of luck to you Hindugirl!  It wont be easy but I'm sure it'll be worth it!

• From Washington to Rochdale and taint going back
    • Girly Girrls Family Pics
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2002, 01:23:07 AM »
As you all may know by now, I put in for my spousal visa just last month and it was about $420 altogether.  I sent mine down to the LA office and they charge a return fee.  I'll have to look up the site again as now that it's all passed, I've not had to think about it.  I'll also look at my packet tonight of things that I sent and will post them that way you can get an idea of what I sent and see where you are on gathering the same.  I got the idea of some of the things that I sent from a woman's site who went through the visa process as a fiance.  To say it helped immensely would be an understatement ;)

Sponsored Links