Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: free birth control  (Read 3027 times)

• Liked: 0
free birth control
« on: November 17, 2003, 04:19:03 PM »
i am currently here in England on a visitor's visa, as i need to go back to Chicago to apply for my marriage visa in December.

anyway, i needed to get on the birth control pill.

i went to a local clinic, after making an appointment.  they hooked me up with a 3-month supply (for free), and were very friendly and helpful.

you also only need to have a pelvic exam every 3 years over here, not yearly.  that was my favourite part, as i really hate those things.

anyway, i was worried that because i am not registered with the NHS that they wouldn't see me, or that they would charge me an arm and a leg, but its not like that at all here.  "We don't turn anyone away", the lady told me...

bless them.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• Philadelphia, PA to York in 2000
  • Liked: 1
Re: free birth control
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2003, 12:24:06 AM »
I still feel strange about that and have this uncontrollable urge to offer them at least some money not unlike my grandmother used to do after visiting her.  [smiley=shifty.gif] I don't think I'll ever get used to it.  Although I am a bit disappointed they don't have the same 'kind' of birth control pill that I was used to in the US (ie: the larger 'oops, I forgot' window).

Btw, from what I understand, they also don't start doing mammograms until much later than the US does.

• So Long and Thanks for all the Fish!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2003, 09:36:54 AM »
and their breast cancer and cervical cancer morbidity rates are comparable to if not better than the US!!

sometimes less interventions/routine diagnostic tests is better!

I read something in the last year or so that said many US insurance companies may start following the UK model of recommending 3 yearly pap smears for low risk women.

and oh yes-- i LOVE the free bc pills!!!  I used to pay 30 dollars a month for the pill my insurance back home and man, some months I would wonder is the sex really worth the same as expanded basic cable??  HAHA!!
Poo? .... Poo!!
Yes, Piglet?
Nothing.  I just wanted to be sure of you.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2003, 11:23:51 AM »
After paying $60 a shot for Depo for almost 2 years, the fact that it's FREE is a blessing!!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2003, 11:54:57 AM »
... some months I would wonder is the sex really worth the same as expanded basic cable??  HAHA!!

LOL! [smiley=laugh4.gif]
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2003, 06:42:57 PM »
I only pay $8.00 a month for bc pills.  I must have some excellent insurance!  
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 10:45:14 AM »
ok. so i don't have to go to a NHS doctor for birth control?

what kind of clinic do i go to?  I need an appointment, right???

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 10:47:57 AM »
I get my Depo shots at my GP's office.  For free, every 3 months.  The nurse does it.

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2004, 10:50:31 AM »
nice peedal.  I may have to look into that!!!  thanks!  do they have the patch here?  that's what i was going to try.

• Finally back in his arms...
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2004, 12:21:44 PM »
Where is it that you can go to get this at? I've been looking into getting back on the pill as my husband and I are not eager to have children anytime soon but as I haven't been issued my NIN yet I didn't even want to try to make an appointment anywhere but if it can be done I would like to know where!!!  ;D

Please any help will be greatly appreciated!!  ;D
So close no matter how far, couldn't be much more from the heart and nothing else matters...

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2004, 12:24:24 PM »
DodgyLilMinx,

You just need to register w/ a local surgery.  They'll ask a couple of questions and may want to see proof of your address. Then you just make an appointment to get the Pill.

Your NIN number has nothing to do with medical care.  It's the equivalent of the US SSN.  See the threads in "On the Job" for info on how to apply for your NIN.

• Finally back in his arms...
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2004, 12:31:06 PM »
Yeah ta lolabola - I've already got that area covered as my Mother-in-law has been helping me out a lot since getting here. And I'm working on getting the NIN sorted out.  ;D

But that's really lucky for me because there is a surgery place not even a five minute walk from my house! I will definitely have to look into that then tomorrow when my husband is off and we can take a walk by there!! Cheers hun!!! x
So close no matter how far, couldn't be much more from the heart and nothing else matters...

• Liked: 2
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2004, 03:25:38 PM »
you can also go to a family planning clinic and get free contraception, whether you are registered with a GP or not.  There is a number in yellow pages for the Family Planning Association you can ring and they will tell you where your nearest clinic is.

• Contraltos do it lower....
    • Forever Autumn
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2004, 03:31:55 PM »
I get my Depo shots at my GP's office.  For free, every 3 months.  The nurse does it.

I was wondering about trying depo myself but have heard some really BAD things about the side-effects.  Have you experienced any bad ones, Peedal?

I agree, FREE is a good thing.  In an age where everything is so expensive, not having to worry about contraceptive is a very nice load off the mind. 
I was born in the Summer and at Night...my mother named me AUTUMN DAWN.  True story.

Jamie's...beyond the stars and past eternity.

EMAIL or PM me for information about gigs or about booking me (solo gig) or the band.

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2004, 04:55:37 PM »
I've been getting the Depo shot since January 2001.  It took until earlier this year before I stopped getting a period at all.  Before that, it was kind of erratic in that it could last 2 days and be very light or last 8 days and be very heavy.  Most women, however, stop getting their period LONG before that - within the first year.  Don't know why it took so long for me.  ::)

I had Norplant for the full 5 years, though, and had NO bad side effects from it.  So maybe I'm not the best person to ask!  :D

- Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab