Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What is this attraction with Brits and Americans ? A few questions.  (Read 43381 times)

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
Re: What is this attraction with Brits and Americans ? A few questions.
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2006, 08:06:10 PM »
I stopped really noticing my husband's accent pretty early. It went from being "an English accent" to "the voice of the man I love".

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2006, 08:17:40 PM »
I don't think it was ever Rich's accent I fell for.  I liked how sweet and honest and shy he was.  I think his honesty was the biggest turn-on of all.  It still is.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2006, 08:19:02 PM »
We still notice each other's accents.  I like the way he says "unbelievable" (sounds like Elvis!) and he likes the way I say "at all."  ;D

• Banned

• Damn it, Spock, breathe!
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2006, 08:49:32 PM »
I like how Brits say "at all," too. It's more like a (short a)-tall.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2006, 09:26:56 AM »
it was dave's accent that made me want to talk to him the night we met. (or rather, made me accept his advances to talk).

it was his accent that i fell asleep to every night over the phone line

but it was the man i fell in love with, not the way he sounds!!!!  Although i still love hearing him croon daaaaaaahling to me.

also, he likes when i get drunk as i 'speak american' again.  :)

• Liked: 12
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2006, 03:11:31 PM »
I stopped really noticing my husband's accent pretty early. It went from being "an English accent" to "the voice of the man I love".

Same here. I forget he has a Scottish accent. He's so great to talk to I don't even think that we have different accents.

I still sound 100% American and he loves me because I'm still the American gal he fell in love with.
Plans on hold 'cuz Brexit

• I'm Josie from the block AKA silvermoondust
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2006, 08:09:25 PM »
We still notice each other's accents.  I like the way he says "unbelievable" (sounds like Elvis!) and he likes the way I say "at all."  ;D

We still notice each other's accents too.

Sometimes he tries to imitate my accent, and it's bad lol he's not great at it. He was horrible at it at first, but as time goes on he's getting a bit better at it, but still, not that good  :P I'm from New York but have a general American accent ( there are some words I tend to say with a New York accent though ) but when he tries to imitate me it tends to come out Southern!
Born and bred NYC-er living in Glasgow
Married to my scrumptious hottie Scottish boy on August 13, 2005.

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2006, 08:14:58 PM »
When Dale & I first started talking we were constantly asking each other to repeat what they said because the accents were too strong. But now its not an issue, I can't remember the last time we couldn't understand one another.

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2006, 12:11:25 AM »
When Dale & I first started talking we were constantly asking each other to repeat what they said because the accents were too strong. But now its not an issue, I can't remember the last time we couldn't understand one another.

Same here!  Several members here have met my husband, and I think all concur he has a very, very broad East Coast Scots accent.  I couldn't understand him often when I first got here.  Once I got off the bus at the wrong stop, and he wound up having to come get me b/c I couldn't understand his directions!

• Then things got just plain Silly!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2006, 04:39:56 AM »
LOL when I first met my englishman I had never heard him speak. So it was a real shocker to me when he opened his mouth and I couldn't understand a word other then "hey"! I think part of that was nerves though, and maybe he was talking faster than need be!  ;D Now I don't usually have trouble understanding him. I didn't fall in love with him for his accent that's for sure, but I love to listen to him talk, just like I love  most everything else about him!
All dreams can come true—if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

I can't change the direction of the wind, I can however adjust my sails to always make it to my destination.

• One day.......
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2006, 07:33:13 AM »
My englishman thinks my accent is cute but makes me sound like a valley girl when he tries to imitate me.  The only time I have a hard time understanding him is when we're on the phone and he's really tired (and it's like 3AM for him, poor guy  [smiley=dozey.gif]).
“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2006, 01:07:18 PM »
For me, it wasn't that Liz is American; it's just that was where she was when I fell in love with her.
The first time I saw her too, I might add.

• Liked: 18
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2006, 02:17:58 AM »

Same here! ;D  As time went on though understanding each other has become much less of an issue...except occaisionally there are some words that just get me every time ;) His parents were even worse, I had no idea what they said 95% of the time. I still cant understand half of what his dad says ;) 

It was funny one nite when we were comparing the way we say waitrose...apparently I say it the bristolian way, wait-rose, not way-trose (I know I am not spelling phonetically correct ;) ) which he finds rather amusing :P somewhere along the line he tried to mimic me saying er it was just too cute! I couldnt stop laughing ;)

I miss it soooo much, I could listen to him talk all day long :) But I think I agree with other posters here, its not so much an accent to me anymore as the sound of the man I love. 

And he almost called today too!!! One of the little rugrats shut off the ringer on the phone, so it had my sister thinking her phone rolled over to her husbands cell (they own a business they run from home), so he couldnt get through :(
Moved to the UK April 2006
Married March 2007
Moved to the U.S. June 2009

Husband accepted new job in UK April 2016
Returning to UK Aug/Sept 2016!

Moved from UK-Germany 2022

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2006, 02:35:05 AM »
Same here. I forget he has a Scottish accent. He's so great to talk to I don't even think that we have different accents.

I really can't tell that my husband has an accent anymore.  Only when he says certain words.  I actually tell him all the time that his accent (he's Scottish) isn't as strong as his friends'. 
I think its actually just that I'm so used to speaking to him, I can't tell that he has an accent.  But, I never really spend time thinking about it anymore either. 

:)

• Liked: 12
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2006, 10:56:52 AM »
I actually tell him all the time that his accent (he's Scottish) isn't as strong as his friends'. 

Same here. My fiance is very clear-spoken, for a Glaswegian. But one of his friends was nearly incomprehensible to me in the beginning! It was so embarassing to always ask his friend to repeat himself constantly when I first met him. I felt like an idiot.
Plans on hold 'cuz Brexit

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab