Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Can I apply as a caregiver?  (Read 594 times)

• Liked: 0
Can I apply as a caregiver?
« on: January 31, 2006, 09:09:07 PM »
OK, yes, here I am again.  My UK fiance is on disability for a birth defect.  Can I apply to be his caretaker/giver?  He can't get around much to do shopping, etc.  He wanted me to apply for it, but I don't know how or if it's even plausible.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Re: Can I apply as a caregiver?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 09:34:00 PM »
OK, yes, here I am again.  My UK fiance is on disability for a birth defect.  Can I apply to be his caretaker/giver?  He can't get around much to do shopping, etc.  He wanted me to apply for it, but I don't know how or if it's even plausible.

No, not until you have been married for 2 years, b/c Carer's Allowance is a public fund. 

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 09:47:09 PM »
sounds about right to me... I'm a social worker for familes with disabilities and I am becoming a pro at benefits. but once you are eligible it shouldn't be a problem... loads of people do it.

two years would have something to do with the FLR, right expat?

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 10:05:57 PM »
two years would have something to do with the FLR, right expat?

yes, b/c you have no recourse to public funds when you're on a visa w/time restrictions - asylum seekers excepted.  so that extends to people here on FLR on the basis of marriage, student visas, work permits, etc.

after you successfully receive ILR, suzie, you're welcome to apply for carer's allowance.

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 04:31:34 PM »
The carers allowance is not worth claiming if your husband get £90 approx  that would make up part of his claim if he got income support and dla as he will lose part of that so that you can have that money they do not tell you that till you have claimed.

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 06:35:33 PM »
Once again, thank you for your help!  :D
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Sponsored Links