Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Seriously considering relocating to the UK  (Read 1399 times)

• Liked: 0
Seriously considering relocating to the UK
« on: February 01, 2006, 09:27:45 PM »
I am a mom of 5 children, 3 of which are special needs. I have recently taken in a British Citizen and her daughter, but because of legalities they must go back to Gloucestershire in a couple of weeks. I can't say how much I have grown to love these two as my own children. I am also not happy here in Kansas and have always had a calling to move to the UK, ever since I was a child. With all that I feel God is leading me, I feel I need to explore what it would take to relocate to the UK--not only to better my own children's education and cultural experiences, but to also be near the ones that I have grown to love as my own child and grandchild.

My husband is a bus driver here in the US, so I would consider him skilled. However, driving is definitely not the same over there. I was a self-employed data entry operator, customer service and contractor representative for 12 years, but have not worked in a year (due to relocation from Mass. to Kansas USA)

Can everyone give me some help on where to start, what to do first, who to contact and what I should do in order to begin the process of moving over there? I would appreciate any help you could give.

Sincerely,
Kelly Berrigan

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
Re: Seriously considering relocating to the UK
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 09:58:23 PM »
Unless you or your husband qualify for a highly skilled migrant visa or can be sponsored for a work permit, it doesn't sound like you have any way to relocate to the UK.  You can't just pack up and move here without a valid reason (like marriage, work or study).  This website is a good resource as is http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/

Sorry I can't be of more help or more encouraging.  Emigrating to the UK just isn't that simple.
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 10:05:28 PM »
Does your church do missionary work?  I know that the Mormon church sends loads of missionaries to the UK.  Maybe other churches do, to?

Also, what is the relationship between you and the woman/child in your home?  Are they your "dependants" or could they be claimed as such?  That may be an avenue to look into.

Much like the rest of the world, the UK doesn't offer an open door policy on immigration.  You must have a tie/connection to the country, and there is often a long waiting period for visas and such.  I hate to sound negative, but with what you've sharred so far, it sounds like it may be a difficult, if not impossible, move for you to make at this point.

I'm sure others here may have further tips and ideas for you.

Good luck, and don't give up looking if this is what you really want!

• Stupid bed!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 10:13:33 PM »
Kelly, you mentioned that three of your children are special needs. That is something you should seriously explore before attempting to move. Depending on what their needs are, you may find that services are better in the US. I am a social worker in the US specializing in Ind. with Developmental Disabilities so am familiar with the services in this country. I'm not as familiar with services and supports in the UK. But, there are other social workers on this forum who are already in the UK and may be able to give you some info.

Good luck!
Forty is the old age of youth; fifty is the youth of old age
               - Victor Hugo-
Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family
.......in another city.
              -George Burns-
The leading cause of death among fashion models is falling
through street grates.
               - Dave Barry -

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 04:52:15 AM »
Hi,
I guess I will answer everything in one post. I took someone in that was being abused in the UK, but was unable to get any help, due to lack of witnesses and money for a good attorney. I ended up falling in love with her and her daughter, and have also had a strong desire to be in the UK, even as a young child. I have been in Kansas but not happy here. If anyone knows Massachusetts, they will know why. In many ways, our British start stayed in massachusetts. I have Irish decendents in Ireland that I have always wanted to look up as well. My heart has been in the UK and I truly believe God is pulling me to continue with this love he has planted in our home.

Unfortunately, Governments don't look at humanity and love, but at politics and legalities.

I am a rape and grief coach, and have been doing missionary type of work for many years. I have offered support and safe harbor to victims for many years and feel this is my calling. It seems that, other countries tend to believe these things only happen here in the US. I would so much like to be there for those that are victims and be an advocate.

I would love to be a missionary and work for a church. I am looking to locate close to Gloucestershire. If anyone has any church contacts, I would be very grateful. I am a good Christian with a strong Christian background in my life. I have worked with youth, special needs children and rape victims/assault for years. I also have strong home-based working skills and the ability to work as much as possible to be an asset anywhere. I just need a sponsor and a way to move there. I have a home here that can be sold, 30k more than what I owe on it..another 10-20k in furniture so I could definitely come with some good income as well.

As for my special needs children, 2 are autistic and one has mild CP. Because of our medical insurance issues here, we don't get very good service. Also, I dont have medical insurance and this has become an issue as well.

I consider the UK my sister country and I feel such a bond to move there. Please, if anyone can help I would appreciate it. If you know of any contacts, I would be extremely grateful.

With Appreciation,
Kelly Berrigan

• One day.......
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 07:22:03 AM »
Hi Kelly, you sound like a very caring and compassionate person with a big heart.  The world could use a lot more people like that in it.  I recently started working as an aide at a school for autism and although the pay is low, the reward for being a part of these special children's lives is great.  I can't offer you any helpful advice but I wish you the best of luck in life and your quest to the UK
“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 09:35:52 AM »
I just need a sponsor and a way to move there. I have a home here that can be sold, 30k more than what I owe on it..another 10-20k in furniture so I could definitely come with some good income as well.

As for my special needs children, 2 are autistic and one has mild CP. Because of our medical insurance issues here, we don't get very good service. Also, I dont have medical insurance and this has become an issue as well.

Kelly you sound a wonderful person, but I'm afraid it's not as simple as 'finding a sponsor', and $40,000 isn't enough to qualify for an investor's visa.

On the off chance you were able to obtain a visa, you, your husband and children would NOT be permitted to use public funds for 4-5 years.  Many resources available here for special needs children and their carers involve accessing public funds, unfortunately.

Housing is also much, much more expensive than Kansas, especially for a family your size and in Gloucestershire, b/c it is considered a very desirable location.  We're talking MUCH more expensive than Kansas.   

You may be unhappy in Kansas, but please understand that unless you can get a work permit for a shortage profession - nursing, social work, some forms of teaching - or qualify for as a missionary, and these visas are often not long enough to allow you to qualify to remain permanently in the UK - your chances of moving here are pretty close to none.

It may be far more feasible for you to explore moving to another region in the US.  I was unhappy in Texas and moved to another state where I found life more suitable.  Have you explored moving to another region in the US?

Best of luck.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 10:02:17 AM by expat_in_scotland »

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 11:45:08 AM »
Ok, I am going to be brutal here, and although I feel for you, I have to have my 'lagal' hat on rather than my 'nice caring person' hat on...

1)  Can you liquify your assets and come up with £100k cash to start a business in the UK?
2)  Can you train as a teacher and then look at getting a job in the UK and then a work permit?
3)  You say you "fell in love" with this lady....are we talking "falling in love" in a 'I could leave my husband and have a relationship with her' kind of way, or is it a "fell in love" in a 'she's like my sister' kind of way? 

As far as I can see, these are your only options.

Victoria

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 11:46:19 AM »
2)  Can you train as a teacher and then look at getting a job in the UK and then a work permit?

I thought of this option for you, too -- but training as a social worker instead of a teacher. You have a background in counseling already, so it seems a natural step.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Banned

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 11:53:47 AM »
Yes, good call.  Social workers are very much in demand in the UK.

Victoria

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006, 12:09:35 PM »
Also, have you actually spent any time in the UK?

Being 'drawn' to a place and living in it long-term are very different. 

You stated in your original post that you relocated to Kansas from Massachusetts only a year ago.  That's quite a big shift and it sounds as if the adjustment has been bumpy.  And this is w/i the US.  Moving to another country requires a far, far greater period of adjustment, tbh. 

It would appear that much of your unhappiness is w/having left Massachusetts for Kansas.  The chances of relocating back to Massachusetts are far greater than moving to the UK in your situation, however.

Good luck.

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2006, 12:13:11 PM »
I thought of this option for you, too -- but training as a social worker instead of a teacher. You have a background in counseling already, so it seems a natural step.
It is hard to find teaching jobs up here in the northeast of England...well, atleast I quickly tired of it after moving over!

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2006, 02:40:39 PM »
I guess no one is understanding me. I was looking for support and any advice. I thought, like the US you could come in on a visa and work. I am quite able to work, and my husband is as well. This seems so complicated.

To answer the question about "falling in love" with the one that moved here, let me be very straight on this...I love her "like she is my own daughter". She calls me mum. I call her my daughter. Any other way is sick. I could never feel that way about a child. She has never felt family love before. He own family was sexually and physically abusive, and she only lived with one foster family, who also used her "background" for some sick things they desired. We only nurtured and loved as family. NOTHING MORE.

Social work is what I am destined for. So is missionary work, since there is so little help in the missionary world for special needs children and their parents, in order to worship.

Understand that, being drawn to a place is how I ended up here. Drawn, meaning from God==not because I want to be there. Trust me, Kansas would NOT have been my dream destination. I don't know how many are Christians but, I do believe in God and that what He did by bringing a total stranger into my life, and letting me show them what true family love is, was God's Will.

For a time, I am renting, not buying. And yes, I could start a business in the UK..from home or otherwise. I started a business from scratch here, and I know I can do it again.

• Banned

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2006, 02:53:24 PM »
Ok...I understood that there was an adult UK national who you were wanting to be with as well....it was this relationship I was asking about.

You are wrong about the US...it is not that easy to just come over and work.  There are more loopholes which need to be gone through to make that move as well.

I think that everyone here has pretty much summed up all your options.  Good luck finding one that suits.

Victoria

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2006, 03:51:06 PM »
I know you really want to relocate and trust me, I can relate.  I found a way (a student visa) to move here when other options didn't seem to pan out.  But, simply wanting to pack up and move here just isn't that easy.  As a Christian too, I can understand feeling that you're being led to someplace in particular but know this, if God means for you to be here, the doors will open and it will be made possible.  If not, the door will close. 

You've been given kind words and support from those of us who have been down this road.  Just read some of the threads on the visa section of this board.  You'll see it's not been easy for many of us.  Of course people want you to follow your dream and your heart's desire but at the same time, the legalities can't be ignored. 
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab