Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Flying my cat ~nightmare story  (Read 4350 times)

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
Flying my cat ~nightmare story
« on: February 05, 2006, 03:37:38 PM »
I had decided to send my cat to live with my sister in Ohio till I got settled in London. I did try to find a local friend to take him in, but everyone who likes cats already has too many or is allergic. I knew he was not going to like flying, but at least my sister had an excellent place/situation for him. (one other cat, calm household, etc)

Took him to the vet Friday to get his health certificate. From there we went directly to the LAX cargo drop off area for Northwest. The place was a warehouse full of forklifts and trucks and very noisy. He was terrified. :( The girls who checked him in inspected the carrier and tie banded the front door to the side of the carrier. I said my goodbyes and off he went. He was to fly to Detroit overnight, change planes, and on to Columbus. There were no direct flights avail, and this was the best route according to the agent who booked him.

Saturday morning I answer the phone to have someone tell me that he was missing. He had escaped the carrier on the plane and they had managed to get him back into the carrier, but he had escaped again in the Detroit cargo transfer facility. He is still missing.  :\\\'(  :\\\'(  :\\\'(

He managed to push the top of the carrier off in the front, and squeezed out of the gap he created on between the top of the door and the roof. He is NOT a slender animal.

The guy from the airline said that my carrier should have never accepted it in the first place since there was no way to tie band it along the sides.  (My kennel looks like this: http://www.jbpet.com/Shopping/product.asp?catalog_name=JBWholesale&product_id=147-0161&category_name=CratesPlastic) I actually own 2 different brands of carriers, and had the slightly smaller one with me in the car just in case the larger one was not OK! I sent him in the larger one so he could stand up and stretch a bit. It never occurred to me that he could push his way out of it. The airline girls who inspected it had no issues with it either.

I am devastated. I feel so guilty for having put him in this situation. I cannot even imagine the terror he must have been feeling to squeeze out of that carrier. I also can't understand how the airline folk allowed the carrier on the plane in the first place, and then put him back in the carrier w/o reinforcing it. How can no one have thought that he would try again? There was no duct tape or wire to be had?? These folk ship animals all of the time and I know he's not the first escapee. Someone must have set more stringent requirements at some point. I would have bent over backwards to have had a better carrier had I known that he could get out of this one!

The airline person tried to reassure me that they have recovered 6 of the 7 missing cats since he has worked there. My sister is going to drive up to Detroit and pick him up when they find him. Right now there is a good chance he is still hiding in the cargo building, and they are going to put food and water out for him at night. If he has escaped to the outside, I am notifying the area shelters because he is microchipped. My son says he has a strong feeling that he is fine and will show up. I can't think straight so I hope he is right.

I guess my advice to anyone flying a pet is to check and double check that the carrier is airline approved as well as escape proof. I really thought mine was fine. Reinforce where you can with tie bands. I hope I don't scare anyone too much with this, but it's something to consider.

These past 2 weeks have really sucked.  :\\\'(
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Re: Flying my cat ~nightmare story
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 03:44:44 PM »
Oh, Courtney! How horrible for you and for your cat!! I'm sure he'll be found, though. But what a horrible ordeal. I can't remember the make of cat carrier I bought (this was over 2 years ago), but I do remember that it came with bands to tie around each side of it so that there was no way something could happen like what happened to your boy. Was your carrier approved by ... well, I don't know. But I do remember that mine had a seal on it that said it was approved by some International Air thing (which could have been made up). Still, I had no problems.

Good point, though, for others planning to ship pets. Do some research to make sure your carrier is approved; then maybe even take it to your vet to have him/her check it out to make sure it's safe and escape-proof.

I hope things work out for you Courtney. Please keep us posted!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 03:46:53 PM »
Oh no! I am so sorry!  :\\\'(
Lots of good thoughts to you and your cat and that you are reunited soon!
Try to hang in there.

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 04:13:32 PM »
Oh Courtney I am soo sorry Hon!

I hope they find him really soon!!!
{{Hugs}}

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 04:23:28 PM »
sorry to hear about your missing cat  :( 

good thoughts to him and you. cats are tough creatures, he'll be found when he is ready  :) great the chip is in him so no problems identifying him.

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 04:32:18 PM »
oh courtney, i am soooo sorry to hear this.  I can only imagine how worried you are.  Keeping my fingers crossed they find him real soon. 

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 04:38:15 PM »
The facility is closed today, so hopefully he will calm down a bit and eat. Someone suggested that I Fedex somewthing I have worn to the facility so they can put out a have-a-heart trap. He might go to something with my scent on it.

I'm so down again. I feel like all I have been doing is complaining lately and it certainly would be nice to have good news to report for a change.  :(

Thanks for your support and for putting up with me.  :-\\\\
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

• One day.......
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 05:46:39 PM »
My cat and I are praying for your kitty's safe return. [smiley=angel.gif]
“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 06:08:45 PM »
Oh how horrible!! I hope he returns safe and sound very soon.
big hugs Courtney xx
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 06:19:46 PM by Pebbles »

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2006, 06:53:55 PM »
Courtney I am so sorry!  I hope they find him soon!

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2006, 08:26:22 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that Courtney,sending an item of yours is a great idea.

• chasing my rainbow, catching it and tying it down
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2006, 10:00:00 PM »
Big hugs to you Courtney, I know you must be feeling so awful - but you really did your best by him, so please try not to blame yourself.

Fingers crossed he'll be fine.

*hugs*
Born to shop..............forced to work

• Then things got just plain Silly!
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2006, 10:21:22 PM »
Oh my gosh Courtney! I feel terrible for you having to go through this! Don't ever worry about venting here, we have all been there where everything seemed to be going wrong! It will get better, I just know it will. I am thinking of you and hoping by the time you read this your kitty has been found! Big hugs to you!!
All dreams can come true—if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

I can't change the direction of the wind, I can however adjust my sails to always make it to my destination.

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2006, 11:15:42 PM »
Courtney, I'm so sorry, hon.  I do hope he is found and soon.  Many, many cyber hugs to you and your son.

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 12:02:07 AM »
Big hugs - I'm so sorry you are going through this.  I'm sure he'll be found and will be fine.  Remember, cats are resilient and resourceful, and it sounds like the airline people are doing everything they can to find him and keep him safe.

Keep thinking positive and I'm sending all the good thoughts I can his way. [smiley=hug.gif]

Sponsored Links