Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Calling all Social Workers  (Read 118911 times)

• Liked: 0
Calling all Social Workers
« on: February 08, 2005, 12:45:57 AM »
Hi, I'm a licensed long term care social worker.  I will be moving to the UK in early March and looking to chat with, exchange info, and just get to know other American social workers working in the UK.  Let's introduce ourselves and exchange helpful info!   :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 01:16:55 PM by cookie70 »

• AAGGGHH!
Re: Calling all Social Workers
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 01:05:13 AM »
My name is Crystal and I will moving to London in July.  I am also a social worker/graduate student.  I have a bachelors in social work and I will have my masters in the same field by the beginning of May.  I didn't think anyone on this site was a social worker and I am so glad to have found some now!   [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]We should all probably exchange info on our dealings with recruitment agencies.  When I get to London in July, I will update everyone on the agency that I used and if they were helpful.  The area of social work that I am interested in is dealings with Children and Families.  I love to work with kids and for some reason I am enjoying dealing with their parents.  (I never thought I would.)  One day I would like to start a small not for profit agency working in international adoption.  Right now I am working in the school system.  I love my field and I wouldn't be doing anything else. 

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 01:52:05 AM »
I love social work as well.  I have been a social worker since 1992 (with time off here and there to further my education, have my own children, etc).  I have mainly worked in long term care, though I have spent time working with children and families dealing with cancer.  I love to help people!!  I  have done a bit of research and it seems social work (especially social workers with higher education) are in demand.  It looks to me like a social worker in England will get paid more than a social worker in the US.  I am currently making in the $35,000+ range in the US, but from the council web sites I have seen it looks like the demand for a graduate social worker could make in the $45,000+range.  It mainly seems like they are looking for social workers with experience in the child sector.  I have not seen one LTC SW job so far, which bums me out a bit.  I have an MSW and intensive gerontology experience and that is definitely the population I enjoy working with the most.  However who could ever bypass working with kids?  I think we all choose the population we prefer, but then would never discount the people who need us the most.  I have not signed on with any agency, but will look into doing that soon.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 01:17:43 PM by cookie70 »

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 01:57:30 AM »
Well, I see a lot of positions open for people with disabilities and some for the elderly too.  I think they need hospital social workers over there too.  The pay rate sounds better over there, but one thing that people keep telling me is that social workers do not do as much clinical work over there as they do in the States.  Oh, and  to tell a little bit more about myself.  Sorry.  I am single (no children) and young. 

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 02:09:02 AM »
I currently work in a LTC facility that is attached to a hospital. We do a lot of rehab actually.  I don't know if it is the area I am looking at (northwestern England in Lancashire) but I see mainly child sw (foster/child in crisis, etc)
I want to do LTC but am willing to work with kids.  I am 34 years old (young?) and only know social work- its all I've done since I finished school.  Currently, it seems I am a slave to paperwork- the State requires so much that I spend very little time with my residents as there is so much pw to take care of.  I'd much rather do hands on.  I am really interested in learning how much and what sort of documentation is required in the UK.  Between MDS, care plan, medicaid apps, ss rep payee apps, and regular documentation, as well as all the admission and dc pw for our rehabs, I feel like if I spend a one or two hours per week doing any sort of clincial sw I am lucky.   ???
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 02:13:48 AM by cookie70 »

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 02:26:52 AM »
YEAH! I'm so happy there are other SW here :)
I'm Belle, 25 (well, in 2 weeks) and married almost 1 year. My husband is applying to train with the Royal Horticulture Society so that is why we are coming.
I have my MSW (and BSW) I have worked in LTC and am currently working in dialysis. My area of interest is anything healthcare related but my passion is HIV/AIDS. alas, there is no work to be found in that area in the rural south :) I would love to find something in that area in London.
Crystal, I am going to check the agency you mentioned. I think it would be nice to deal with someone who had been through this before. Also, I was glad to here you had been planning this for 2 years - we are not planning on going until 2007 but I really like to know what I am getting myself into
Does anyone know of any books or other resources re: SW in England? It would be interesting to see an Intro book or something of the sort
Also, I am really curious about this - Why are SW in such high demand?

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 12:15:37 PM »
I haven't found a book, but if you do, please share!  Or maybe we should write one. ;D  Social workers are in demand everywhere, at least here in Florida.  I just know there is a UK shortage.  Something like 1 out of every 10 SW jobs is open.

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 04:32:31 PM »
I would really love to stumble across an Intro to UK SW book as well!!  I am glad to hear that we are in demand- even in Florida.  I told my fiance if there are troubles with my UK visa I am moving to Florida because I can't take another upstate NY winter.   ;)

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 08:09:57 PM »
Well, it is lovely here, high 70's and sunny.  ;D    :P  But summers here are very hot.  In our field, it seems there are jobs everywhere you go because someone always needs help and empathy.

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 08:42:40 PM »
I'm green with envy- I wish it was warm here.  I heard on the news there will be snow tomorrow (AGAIN!)
Do you happen to know the difference between: DipSW, CQSW, and CSS?  I assume it is some sort of certification levels.  I wasn't sure if that was how they license or if it was what their higher degrees are (DipSW equivalent to BSW- CQSW eqivalent to MSW, etc???)  I saw several jobs I am interested in applying for and they all said the essential qualifications were one of the above or equivalent.

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 08:47:32 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, and I could be, the DipSw is some sort of Diploma that is offered in the UK for Social Work.  The CQSW is Certified Qualified Social Worker.  I e-mailed my recruitment agency about it, but she has not responded, which is odd.  She always e-mails me back right away so I will try again.  Qualified Social Workers are social workers with the degree in Social Work (so I've been told).  Coming in April, everyone must have their degree registered through GSCC or they are not supposed to be allowed to work as a social worker. 

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2005, 11:04:34 PM »
I did see on the jobs posting something that basically stated by 1 April you can not legally call yourself a social worker unless you are registered.  Do you know much about it?  Sorry for sounding so dumb but I am just starting to look into it!  Is it an exam that you need to take or do you just send in your CV and diploma and they sign you up? 

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2005, 11:38:15 PM »
You must register your degree with the GSCC Council by April 2005 or you are not allowed to work as a social worker.  They just want everyone who is working as a social worker to have the degree that is trained and the experience.  (It is ok if you are newly qualified, but you have to have the degree.)  Aka-can't just have graduated with a Public Relations degree with no experience in social work and start working as a social worker.  It is nothing that you weren't going to be doing before, so don't worry.  All the recruitment agencies have asked anyone who is interested in working in the UK as a social worker to have their degree registered with the GSCC Council.  Here is their website:  www.gscc.org.uk

Hope this helps. 
Crystal

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2005, 12:23:38 AM »
Check out amazon.co.uk
I searched for "social work" and found lots of interesting stuff.
Also look at ebay.co.uk - they have some of the same books at better prices BUT, you have to double check that the seller will send to the US. Most say they will only ship to the UK but maybe if you asked very nicely :)
Patti,
I would go ahead and request your overseas packet from the GSCC. I requested mine even though I probably won't send it in until the end of the year but it looks like a lot of paperwork needs to be gathered. They shipped it fed-ex and it arrived in about 3 days.
we have been nice and warm here as well but I will gladly trade some of the warmth to be away from the humidity!! it's a killer sometimes :)
belle

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2005, 12:32:40 AM »
Yeah, the humidity will get you every time.  I grew up in Florida.  Belle, you live in Florida too?  What part?  Patti, the application is a pain in butt, but it really is sort of like a job application.  (so it feels to me)  Before you go, just look over it and make sure you have everything you need before you leave in March (you leave for the UK in March if I'm not mistaken?).  There are some things you will need from employers/universities.  And yes, it does get here quick!  I was shocked because of their reputation of being slow about a lot of other things. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab