Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Calling all Social Workers  (Read 118913 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: SOCIAL WORK IN THE UK
« Reply #105 on: September 14, 2005, 01:27:38 AM »
I am also being recruited by TTM.  Do you know where abouts you are living yet, or any decent places?  What area will you be working in?
Melissa A. Morrissette

• Fight'em Aggies. Whoop!
  • Location: Waco, Texas (aka We Aint Coming Out), Aggieland USA
Re: SOCIAL WORK IN THE UK
« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2005, 01:29:47 AM »
Hello,

I will be living and working in the Thornton Heath area of Croydon which from my understanding is about a 20 min. train ride to the city of London.  Kate Woods is my recruiter.  Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions and keep me posted on when you are planning on going over.
SMCJBC

Will arrive in London on January 9th!

Re: Calling all Social Workers
« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2005, 05:15:27 PM »
Hi everybody,

You people are all wonderful. I love this forum a lot, i joined a couple of weeks ago. Keep up the good work, the forum is very educative.

I am about relocating to UK through HSMP, although the application is under process but all the same i am getting ready whichever way i can before it comes through.

I am interested in changing my Career to Social Work. I have a degree in English and a Postgraduate diploma in Management. I have 13 years experience in Banking and finance sector in Nigeria. I am a Nigerian, but i love this forum because it answers so many questions i have on living in UK. Moreover everybody seems to be very friendly and nice, i can feel the friendship that exist between all when i read the posts.

The issue here is, i gathered that I've got to have a degree in Social Work before i can practice as a Social Worker. Enrolling for a degree will not be a problem, but the problem here is that i discover that i can not enroll in a University for part time degree in Social work unless it is employment based.

In ensuring that i get to work in a Social care environment after relocating i already enrolled in an on line vocational Social work course (ASET Approved), 'social Work with Children and Families' - NVQ4. I am almost through with this course, while i will soon start another diploma course in 'Child Care and Adult care' - NVQ3.

The question here is, with this certificates, will i be at an advantage when i start searching for jobs when i relocate?  At what level will i be employed when i eventually get a job.

I am relying on you and some other members who know the system well to enlighten me on this issue. Thank you.  :-* 

BUNTOSANYA
"Behold, i have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it."

• chasing my rainbow, catching it and tying it down
« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2005, 09:30:08 PM »
You will only be able to achieve "Assistant" Social Worker posts with NVQ level certification in the UK. In practise this means that you will hold a caseload, similar to a Social Worker, have all the usual supervision etc and be paid about half of what a SW will earn - however, there will probably be provision to study towards your social work qualification.

HTH
NB) "Assistant Social Worker is now known in places as "Asst Care Manager", so if you see jobs advertised as such, it means the same.
Born to shop..............forced to work

« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2005, 11:03:56 PM »
Hi New Dawn,

Thank you so much for the response.

I am happy to inform you that my HSMP Work permit has been approved. I just got the information today, so i will be processing my Entry Clearance. Will keep you posted.

"Behold, i have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it."

« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2005, 10:27:30 PM »
Hi just wondering how long did it take for your criminal check to go through and did they go to the states as well as UK check? 

« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2005, 03:14:46 AM »
It is my understanding that there are two criminal checks. The FBI is for the US and I was told it would take 4-6 weeks. The second set of prints would have to be taken in the UK... I am assuming after you relocate, but you may work as long as your US prints clear.

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2005, 08:03:09 AM »
The background check in the UK is called a CRB check and some boroughs will not let you work if the results have not come through.  But most will as long as there is a reference number.  I had a background check that was under a year because I had been working with the school system so I used that as my US background check. 

« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2005, 10:13:37 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I discussed with personnel and they think they will not go to the USA for my CRB just here in the UK.  And I have been in the job for over a month and they are just now getting around to doing it.  Odd I know but then I am not in a position where I meet clients but I do see everything on them paper wise.  The policy here is that untill you clear they will not allow you to go to clients on your own.  You have to bring another qualified SW with you. 

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2005, 10:16:03 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I discussed with personnel and they think they will not go to the USA for my CRB just here in the UK.  And I have been in the job for over a month and they are just now getting around to doing it.  Odd I know but then I am not in a position where I meet clients but I do see everything on them paper wise.  The policy here is that untill you clear they will not allow you to go to clients on your own.  You have to bring another qualified SW with you. 

Well, every Borough is different.  Some won't let you start work until it is cleared.  I worked for 2 months and saw clients on my own and did everything and my CRB still hasn't come back.  They were happy with the reference#, although I did work for a corrupt borough.  lol

« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2005, 08:46:41 PM »
AmericanFox,

lol about your borough.  Not sure about KCC but I have to say everyone I work with are wonderful.  I am happy I have the job. 

• Stupid bed!
« Reply #116 on: September 23, 2005, 05:54:30 PM »
Had my interview with Borough of Merton this past Monday in NYC. My recruiter called today to inform me that Merton is offering me a position. Don't have any details...which position and at what salary but it's a bonafide offer! London, here I come!  ;D
Forty is the old age of youth; fifty is the youth of old age
               - Victor Hugo-
Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family
.......in another city.
              -George Burns-
The leading cause of death among fashion models is falling
through street grates.
               - Dave Barry -

« Reply #117 on: September 23, 2005, 05:59:42 PM »
congrats Paula!

« Reply #118 on: September 23, 2005, 06:41:40 PM »
Hello everyone!  I am in desperate need of advice.  My girlfriend just accepted a job in Merton for a social work position for the next 2 years.  We are not traditionalist and do not plan to marry.  Nor two we have evidence of two years together for a unmarried coupld visa. Any ieads on finding a job in the UK or what visa I should get in order to look for a job while I'm over there would be great!  I am not a student.  I have a masters degree in physician assistant but they do not exisit in London.  Any thoughts? ???

« Reply #119 on: September 23, 2005, 06:50:34 PM »
Have you looked into the Highly Skilled Migrants Programme? Do a search for the HSMP on this site and you will find the links.

It is pretty involved as it considers your education and work experience, but has served many qualified people well.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab