Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Calling all Social Workers  (Read 118577 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Calling all Social Workers
« Reply #120 on: September 24, 2005, 12:44:12 AM »
Had my interview with Borough of Merton this past Monday in NYC. My recruiter called today to inform me that Merton is offering me a position. Don't have any details...which position and at what salary but it's a bonafide offer! London, here I come! ;D

Yeah, Paula!  I'm so happy for you!

« Reply #121 on: September 24, 2005, 09:19:45 AM »
Hello everyone, i will soon be relocating to UK through HSMP Work Permit. I am in the process of getting my EC, but i will like to start applying for job immediately, because i am planning to move by mid November.

I need advice on how to write my CV. I am planning a change in career from Banking and Financial sector to Social Care/ Social Work Career. I have a B.A.Ed in English and Gd in Management, a year teaching experience and 13 years experience in Banking and Financial sector.

I am undergoing studies in Social work at a College in Cornwall, UK 'Social Work with Children and Families' ASET Accredited NVQ4. I will hopefully have my final Examination in the next 2 weeks.

Could anybody please advise me on how to write my CV, seeking a job in Social Care given my work experience and background.

Every contribution will be highly appreciated   [smiley=blank.gif] 

"Behold, i have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it."

« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2005, 02:59:25 AM »
Had my interview with Borough of Merton this past Monday in NYC. My recruiter called today to inform me that Merton is offering me a position. Don't have any details...which position and at what salary but it's a bonafide offer! London, here I come!  ;D

How exciting! Congratulations!

« Reply #123 on: September 25, 2005, 07:36:40 PM »
Had my interview with Borough of Merton this past Monday in NYC. My recruiter called today to inform me that Merton is offering me a position. Don't have any details...which position and at what salary but it's a bonafide offer! London, here I come!  ;D

You must be thrilled!! [smiley=juggle.gif] Congrats, Paula!
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #124 on: September 26, 2005, 10:27:24 AM »
Hi there. It's not exactly the same, but I also have a BA in English and worked in marketing for many years and recently switched careers in a pretty big way - went back to school to study psychology and am working for a mental health charity. I'm happy to send you a copy of my CV if you pm me your email address....

Hello everyone, i will soon be relocating to UK through HSMP Work Permit. I am in the process of getting my EC, but i will like to start applying for job immediately, because i am planning to move by mid November.

I need advice on how to write my CV. I am planning a change in career from Banking and Financial sector to Social Care/ Social Work Career. I have a B.A.Ed in English and Gd in Management, a year teaching experience and 13 years experience in Banking and Financial sector.

I am undergoing studies in Social work at a College in Cornwall, UK 'Social Work with Children and Families' ASET Accredited NVQ4. I will hopefully have my final Examination in the next 2 weeks.

Could anybody please advise me on how to write my CV, seeking a job in Social Care given my work experience and background.

Every contribution will be highly appreciated   [smiley=blank.gif] 

• Friday is Hawaiian shirt day!
    • Personal Site
« Reply #125 on: September 27, 2005, 12:11:26 AM »
Hello everyone.

It has been awhile since I have been on, but i wanted to let the Social Workers in London know that I am on my way!

I had an interview on Thursday, and the told me today that i have a job.  Don't know all the details yet.

It is with the Borough of Brent.  For anyone looking to come over to the UK I wanted to let you know that an agency is not the only way to go.  I applied for this position directly through the borough, and did not use an agency.

I will be seeing y'all (I need to stop saying that, I won't be in TX for long :))
"Being president is like running a cemetery: you've got a lot of people under you and nobody's listening." –Bill Clinton

• Stupid bed!
« Reply #126 on: September 27, 2005, 01:40:22 AM »
Congrats, Joshua! Are you as excited as I am?
Forty is the old age of youth; fifty is the youth of old age
               - Victor Hugo-
Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family
.......in another city.
              -George Burns-
The leading cause of death among fashion models is falling
through street grates.
               - Dave Barry -

« Reply #127 on: September 27, 2005, 02:39:22 AM »
Hello everyone.

It has been awhile since I have been on, but i wanted to let the Social Workers in London know that I am on my way!

I had an interview on Thursday, and the told me today that i have a job.  Don't know all the details yet.

It is with the Borough of Brent.  For anyone looking to come over to the UK I wanted to let you know that an agency is not the only way to go.  I applied for this position directly through the borough, and did not use an agency.

I will be seeing y'all (I need to stop saying that, I won't be in TX for long :))

Congrats,Josh!

Were you offered any assistance with a work permit or relocation allowance? I will need a permit when I go over and have been wondering if an agency is the only way to go to get one.
If any one could give me any info on that, I would be grateful. I am also interested in what level of salary one could expect to earn with an LMSW or LISW. I know that money is a personal subject but I am trying to figure out if I could make it without a huge financial struggle. The ads I've looked at have salaries that vary widely. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure?

Thanks in advance.

Liz :)
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #128 on: September 27, 2005, 02:43:17 AM »
Congrats Joshua,

mind sharing your job hunting story?

• Stupid bed!
« Reply #129 on: September 27, 2005, 04:26:31 PM »
Congrats,Josh!

Were you offered any assistance with a work permit or relocation allowance? I will need a permit when I go over and have been wondering if an agency is the only way to go to get one.
If any one could give me any info on that, I would be grateful. I am also interested in what level of salary one could expect to earn with an LMSW or LISW. I know that money is a personal subject but I am trying to figure out if I could make it without a huge financial struggle. The ads I've looked at have salaries that vary widely. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure?

Thanks in advance.

Liz :)

Liz,

May I PM you? I don't mind sharing my information about salary, etc.
               - Victor Hugo-
.......in another city.
              -George Burns-
through street grates.
               - Dave Barry -

• Friday is Hawaiian shirt day!
    • Personal Site
« Reply #130 on: September 27, 2005, 11:14:10 PM »
Paula:  YES!!  I am.  What I am most excited about is the weather.  It is 97degrees today in Dallas, and it is Sept 27th  >:(  Won't have to worry about that in London!

Liz: From my research i think you are looking anywhere from 26 - 31 GBP a year around London.  You won't be rich (but hey, no social worker will), but you should be able to support yourself and travel some.  There is a relocation allowance and the borough is getting my work permit.

"Being president is like running a cemetery: you've got a lot of people under you and nobody's listening." –Bill Clinton

• Stupid bed!
« Reply #131 on: September 27, 2005, 11:59:42 PM »
Paula: YES!! I am. What I am most excited about is the weather. It is 97degrees today in Dallas, and it is Sept 27th >:( Won't have to worry about that in London!

I sympathize! I'm from New Orleans and left to live in a more temperate climate (NC). I'm looking forward to the weather in the UK but will miss the gorgeous fall colors we usually have here...except this year...and last year... :(
               - Victor Hugo-
.......in another city.
              -George Burns-
through street grates.
               - Dave Barry -

« Reply #132 on: September 28, 2005, 01:04:07 AM »
Liz,

May I PM you? I don't mind sharing my information about salary, etc.

Yes, Paula. Please do. Thank you.

Liz

Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #133 on: September 28, 2005, 01:06:07 AM »

Liz: From my research i think you are looking anywhere from 26 - 31 GBP a year around London.  You won't be rich (but hey, no social worker will), but you should be able to support yourself and travel some.  There is a relocation allowance and the borough is getting my work permit.

Josh, thanks for the info.

Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #134 on: September 28, 2005, 02:18:10 PM »
Paula:
I too interviewed with Merton council in NYC last week and recieved a verbal offer of employment. I was pleased to find your post. I am anxiously waiting on the formal offer; you too? I plan to start in Jan but will be going over in November for a week to get things set up. Have you heard of the Key worker living scheme - www. keyworkerliving.co.uk [nofollow] ? It can provide housing options for key workers at discounted rents. 
Have you received any responses on your request for information about Merton burrough/council? I'm interested in any information about them too.
See you soon! Sooz
"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sponsored Links