Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Calling all Social Workers  (Read 118909 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Calling all Social Workers
« Reply #840 on: November 02, 2013, 06:21:15 AM »
My husband is finding registered with the HCPC and is qualified to work as a social worker.  He is doing direct care now and looking for a social work job but hasn't had any luck so far.  Prospective employers have told him that he needs UK experience but they don't have any suggestions as to how to get experience.  I guess he can't just volunteer or job shadow.  Any suggestions? Thank you!

If you don't mind me asking what was your husbands experience with the HCPC? I'm about to go through the process.  My specialty is mental health (adults) but I was told by HCPC that the it doesn't really matter in terms of evaluation.  So I would be interested to if it was an easy process for your husband.  Thanks

• Liked: 4
« Reply #841 on: November 11, 2013, 08:35:12 PM »
I don't think the HCPC is too bad.  Paperwork, £s and then a LONG wait (15 weeks for him).  I will let him know you asked so he can respond himself. 

« Reply #842 on: November 13, 2013, 11:22:10 AM »
I don't think the HCPC is too bad.  Paperwork, £s and then a LONG wait (15 weeks for him).  I will let him know you asked so he can respond himself. 

Thanks so much.  It will help tremendously taking to someone who has gone through the process

« Reply #843 on: November 13, 2013, 12:25:42 PM »
If you don't mind me asking what was your husbands experience with the HCPC? I'm about to go through the process.  My specialty is mental health (adults) but I was told by HCPC that the it doesn't really matter in terms of evaluation.  So I would be interested to if it was an easy process for your husband.  Thanks

Hi I'm Rubydamselfly's husband in regarding the HCPC application process.  It's not too bad just very time consuming to fill out.  Completing the career center section took awhile because I have had several jobs in social care.  The other section I think which took awhile and was a little more difficult was the course information section.  I had to look at all the courses I took to get my MSW and give a brief description of what the class was about, and how much was verbal, written, and practical.  I did this just by using the information on my syllabi for the classes.  After I filled this section out I had to mail it to the University and they had to mail not email to me, because HCPC needs original forms not copies.  The other thing that took awhile is the character reference and the regular reference forms, because they had to be mailed to you and kept in sealed envelopes.  The sealed envelopes had to be sent to HCPC with the application.  The character reference has to be from a licensed professional, fortunately one of my jobs my supervisor was a LCSW so she was able to complete the form.  In order for the application to be certified you have to find someone who is licensed in the UK my wife is a registered vet so I was able to have her sign off on the forms which made it simpler.  Finally the application is a PDF form, so you can't fill out on computer unless you have a converter program, which you can download for a price from Adobe's website, I think it was $25.00 for a year, but then you can convert PDF files to word, and back to PDF from word, which was well worth it.  Points of advice, is have at least 2 copies hard and electronic, keep saving as your filling out,  don't complete in oned day, triple check your form before you send, and be patient, it takes a long time.  Hopefully this helps, if you have anymore questions let me know.  Are you in the UK now, or still in US?  Good luck! 

« Reply #844 on: November 14, 2013, 08:17:41 AM »
Hi I'm Rubydamselfly's husband in regarding the HCPC application process.  It's not too bad just very time consuming to fill out.  Completing the career center section took awhile because I have had several jobs in social care.  The other section I think which took awhile and was a little more difficult was the course information section.  I had to look at all the courses I took to get my MSW and give a brief description of what the class was about, and how much was verbal, written, and practical.  I did this just by using the information on my syllabi for the classes.  After I filled this section out I had to mail it to the University and they had to mail not email to me, because HCPC needs original forms not copies.  The other thing that took awhile is the character reference and the regular reference forms, because they had to be mailed to you and kept in sealed envelopes.  The sealed envelopes had to be sent to HCPC with the application.  The character reference has to be from a licensed professional, fortunately one of my jobs my supervisor was a LCSW so she was able to complete the form.  In order for the application to be certified you have to find someone who is licensed in the UK my wife is a registered vet so I was able to have her sign off on the forms which made it simpler.  Finally the application is a PDF form, so you can't fill out on computer unless you have a converter program, which you can download for a price from Adobe's website, I think it was $25.00 for a year, but then you can convert PDF files to word, and back to PDF from word, which was well worth it.  Points of advice, is have at least 2 copies hard and electronic, keep saving as your filling out,  don't complete in oned day, triple check your form before you send, and be patient, it takes a long time.  Hopefully this helps, if you have anymore questions let me know.  Are you in the UK now, or still in US?  Good luck! 

Thanks so much for the info.  Hope you don't mind but I have sent you a pm with some more questions and a few answers :-)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #845 on: January 10, 2014, 04:49:46 PM »
Am I correct in thinking that many UK social work positions are categorised into levels (ex. level 1, level 2, etc)?  For a position that does not have supervisory duties, is that about all there is (1 vs 2)?  Would you say that 1 is geared for new grads & 2 is for ppl with more experience?  Just trying to familiarise myself.  Thanks~
Jan 2012  >  stars aligned & we met online
Feb 2012 - May 2013  >  lots of back & forth 
May 2013  >  biometrics & fiancé application
Jun 2013  >  fiancé visa approved (5 wk process w/o priority)
Oct 2013  >  married in the Peak District
Nov 2013 > FLR(M) approved (Croydon PEO)
Apr 2016 > FLR(M) approved (Croydon PEO)

« Reply #846 on: January 17, 2014, 01:08:18 PM »
Am I correct in thinking that many UK social work positions are categorised into levels (ex. level 1, level 2, etc)?  For a position that does not have supervisory duties, is that about all there is (1 vs 2)?  Would you say that 1 is geared for new grads & 2 is for ppl with more experience?  Just trying to familiarise myself.  Thanks~

There's NQSW (new qualified social worker), social worker, and senior social worker generally, IME. Is that what you mean?

What local authorities are you looking at? Or are you finding agencies categorising roles differently?

« Reply #847 on: January 17, 2014, 04:56:12 PM »
Thx ML.  I'm just seeing job advertisements with the distinction of Social Worker Level 1 vs Social Worker Level 2.  The ads I've seen don't read like there are diff't responsibilities b/w the two, but given that Level 2 pays more I'm guessing it's for more experienced folks.  I've got 15 yrs exp (supervisory) with an MSW, but I'm happy to dial that back & have less responsibility here in England.  I haven't quite gotten to the point where I want to call & inquire, but I will do soon.

« Reply #848 on: January 18, 2014, 10:16:01 PM »
It was level 1-4 where I work up until last year when they changed it to a different grading system. When I started it was just levels 1-3.

Level one would be newly qualified, and two has more experience and can do more on their own. I came in as a level three with about 10 years experience in the US, and truthfully, I regretted it. When I started it was the closest level to management. Level 3s go to court without help. They can have students, and will do most of their work autonomously. They are expected to take a large role in mentoring and assisting the staff and filling in when management is off or too busy.  They also tend to get the hairy cases because of their level of experience.

Forgive me, I'm going to be a bit personal. Ignore it all if it doesn't apply. It wasn't the work load I regretted. I was happy to do whatever, but my prior experience was clinical, not child protection, and I had no UK experience with child protection. When they asked me if I felt capable of doing level 3 work, I told them that I didn't know what all that meant, but that I was an experienced social worker with good skills and I believed that as long as I had adequate training and supervision until I was able to learn the ropes, I should be fine.

Unfortunately, I wasn't given any training. My manager quit two weeks in, and I went through a string of managers after that or no management at all. I didn't even have a supervision session until I'd been there for about eight months. I had to guess and figure things out myself. I think I did quite well considering I was thrown into an impossible situation with really terrible management. (not to mention 3/4 of our team on long-term leave, mostly sick leave, because of distress at work). The problem was I was the next closest thing to management (although now there are a few level 4s, which are really managers with caseloads. There are only a few of those, it's a very specialized level).

When the upper management came in, they expected me to be able to run everything myself and to not have to ask questions. I really got set up. In that framework, I could be nothing but a disappointment to them. The upper manager is one of those types who once she makes up her mind, doesn't change it. She then decided I was a problem. She was paying me for near management-level work, but I was working like a regular social worker. It's a long story, but it was very difficult. I think the team struggled as well because shortly after I came, they changed the system, and you had to be promoted into existing spots instead of being promoted by qualifications, so I was keeping social workers with much more child protection experience than myself from moving up in their job, and they were the ones I'd have to go to in order to ask questions if I didn't understand something. Oh yeah, and I was part-time, and I think it's quite difficult to do a caseload of heavy CP work when you are only there a couple days a week. One crisis, and your week is gone and the whole team will have to take your load. I just really started wrong.

So long story short, I personally wish I had started as a level 2. Then I could have just proved myself and moved up rather than having to catch up and be a disappointment. I've regularly been told by colleagues now that I'm a valued part of the team with good skills, but I don't think I'll ever be seen as such by the upper management, and the experience has left me burnt out. I'm always fighting to keep my place. I'll likely be quitting after I return from maternity leave. I've heard of others doing well in management right off the bat, but I believe they had experience doing child protection work already.

« Reply #849 on: January 18, 2014, 10:46:31 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experience.  I have a hunch I will be most happy in an entry level position as I know I have a lot to learn about SW in England.  First impressions really are hard to shake, so biting off too much can be a bit of a set up (IME).  I'll get serious about the job hunt in Feb, so I'll shout back then.  Thanks again for helping to confirm my gut feeling~

« Reply #850 on: January 18, 2014, 11:11:24 PM »
I wouldn't hesitate to go for level two positions if I were you (or social worker ones). Newly qualified really tends to be straight out of school, and it's harder to get in. I think you'll find it easier to find work if you tout some experience, but you won't be considered upper levels at that point, just one of the crew.

« Reply #851 on: January 19, 2014, 03:24:20 AM »
The pit crew is just fine  ;)

« Reply #852 on: January 19, 2014, 04:36:17 AM »
Hello my name is Rose and I am a Mental Health Counsellor.  I moved from New York about 2 years ago and have no idea how to get back into my field here.  When I got married, I thought it would be straightforward, but it doesn't seem to be. 

I am currently working as a 111 operator and a receptionist, but I miss my work with patients. 

« Reply #853 on: January 25, 2014, 02:28:32 PM »
To be a counsellor, you need to contact the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy:

http://www.bacp.co.uk/crs/Training/careersincounselling.php

More career / study information here:

http://prospects.ac.uk/counsellor_job_description.htm

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/counsellor.aspx

Hope that is a start. Is it possible to raise the opportunity for you to get a trainee type position, for which your employer might pay for your qualification?

Assuming NHS, this could be useful information:
http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by-career/psychological-therapies/careers-in-psychological-therapies/counsellor/

What about volunteering with a mental health organisation?
http://www.do-it.org.uk/

Or looking for related jobs in social care in your council?
https://www.gov.uk/find-your-local-council

Or local colleges / unis for student support type services?
http://www.jobs.ac.uk/

HTH.

MLG  :)

« Reply #854 on: March 25, 2014, 03:09:40 PM »
I would love to pick the brain of any SWs who may have experience working in a NHS hospital.  I'm reading up on how the hospitals work collaboratively with LAs & CCGs re: assessments & determining what svcs will be coord for after-care needs (health vs social care).  It's getting a little jumbled in my head & a talk with a real person might help sort me.  If you have a work hx in this area, I would love to get a PM from you so I might gain a better understanding of how the pieces fit together.  Thanks~

Sponsored Links