Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Calling all Social Workers  (Read 118962 times)

• Fight'em Aggies. Whoop!
  • Liked: 0
  • Location: Waco, Texas (aka We Aint Coming Out), Aggieland USA
Re: Calling all Social Workers
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2005, 09:05:23 PM »
AF,

How is everything going so far with the new job and all?  Keep us posted.  I have 5 more months before I come over! 
SMCJBC

Will arrive in London on January 9th!

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2005, 09:10:00 PM »
Ok, well I cried last week at my job.  so, that was fun.  I hate crying at work.  but it is ok now.  I just have no idea what I am doing and I don't always understand everyone all the time and my manager is so busy that I hate asking him because he'll snap or start yelling at someone to help me and then I feel like the biggest child.  So I try to do things myself now and ask for help here and there.  But you find out quickly who to ask and who to not ask because some people can't be bothered, you know?  But it is going ok right now.  And I will let everyone know more as I get my feet a little deeper in the water.

« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2005, 09:13:02 PM »
Have you heard anything more from the recruitting company that I am going with?  I know you want to be closer to London!  Good luck, and keep your head up.
SMCJBC

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2005, 09:14:19 PM »
Yeah, they sent me something about coming in for an interview for a day and I think it was in America, and with me needing money-I couldn't take a day off right now even if it was in London.

« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2005, 07:55:50 PM »
Thank you, AF. :)

I'm sorry you've been having a rough time at work.   :(  If any field has its ups and downs, it's this one.  You're living your dream, though...right?   :D

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2005, 08:12:47 PM »
Well my dream was to live in London, but I think I am doing well here.  I have a nice home to stay in with cheap rent and a class clown as a boss-even though he can tough, he is fun to work for at times.  So, it is unexpected that I would even slightly enjoy being here-I guess blessings are always disguised.

« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2005, 03:27:08 AM »
 :) Hi, I am a recent MSW graduate possibly looking into moving to London to practice. I just wanted to get peoples take on living in London, and their adjustment to living in a new Country. I am possibly looking to live in London Borough of Merton.  Is this a decent place? Any suggestions?
Melissa A. Morrissette

« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2005, 12:11:56 PM »
Welcome to UK-Y.  You might try www.upmystreet.com to find out more about Merton.  I will soon be moving to London to work in Jan as a social worker.  You will find alot of great information here, or at least this forum has been very helpful to me.  Good luck with your endeavors and keep us posted on your journey, whatever you decide.

SMCJBC

« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2005, 12:24:26 PM »
Jennifer.

Welcome to UK-Y.  My family and I will be relocating to Croydon which is a burough of London and about a 20 minute train ride to the City of London or at least what I have been told.  Have you tried www.reed.co.uk (I think this is right) it is a job website.  I wish you the best of luck.  Have you tried TTM recruitting, this is who I am going through.  Most counsils offer a relocation package.  Good luck with your endeavors.  Keep us posted.

SMC
SMCJBC

« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2005, 12:35:45 PM »
Just a wee "heads up" for people looking for social work jobs - I'm looking for mental health jobs and so many job sites that I'm using have social work listings too and there are a million of them.... I'm in the south east and so what I've seen are generally in and around London - but probably the majority are in outer London....

Try the Guardian on Wednesdays or the Guardian website (just google Guardian, UK) - but Society Guardian comes out Wednesdays and so that's really the only useful day....

-www.charitypeople.co.uk
-www.jobsincharities.co.uk
-www.charityjob.co.uk
-www.voluntarysectorjobs.co.uk
-www.jobsgopublic.co.uk

I've also found that some sites including reed, monster, totaljobs, etc. do have public sector search options that often turn up social worker type posts....

Good luck!

« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2005, 05:42:33 PM »
Thanks AnneR and SMC,

These are great new directions to look into ;D

I've taken job hunting as my new full time position.  ;)

I will be sure to stay in touch.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 02:19:46 PM by jklm725 »

« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2005, 10:55:59 PM »
 ;DHello, I am engaged, moving over to Scotland next 18 months. I am medically retired(100%disabled) but work PT as a caregiver/companion mainly with seniors. While I have no formal education(except what I research on the net) I have had a variety of hand on experience with my "companions".  From very mobile to non mobile. I wouldlike to continue this work after marriage. Plan to do this as a volunteer, however in case the income is needed(inflation) does the UK  have agencies similat to those here stateside? Agencies here have different entry levels, depending on education and experience. All I have is the experience. Any thoughts? Thank you

• Stupid bed!
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2005, 11:41:31 PM »
Welcome, Albasrose. Here is the link for the general Social Care Council http://www.gscc.org.uk/Home/ . It is my understanding that everyone who works in the field needs to be registered, not just social workers. Their website will give you a good feel for how social care operates in the UK. Good luck!
Forty is the old age of youth; fifty is the youth of old age
               - Victor Hugo-
Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family
.......in another city.
              -George Burns-
The leading cause of death among fashion models is falling
through street grates.
               - Dave Barry -

« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2005, 11:03:05 AM »
Hi,

I know this is not social work jobs in London but Kent County Council is about to hire a number of social work positions through out Kent.  Canterbury, Swale, Children with Disabilities (Canterbury), and Thanet.  If you are looking might want to check out their web site: http://www.kent.gov.uk/working/ Canterbury and Swale are about an hour to hour and half to London.  So you could still spend weekends up there. 

Just to let you know.  Keep checking the web site if not already posted they will be soon.  I know Children with Disabilities has already posted. 

« Reply #104 on: September 14, 2005, 01:16:02 AM »

Hi Everyone. I am possibly re-locating to Uk in Jan for a SW job in Merton.  Does anyone have any experience working with TTM?  Also, any suggestions on good places to live?

Thanks for your help.
Melissa

Thanks Joshua for redirecting me to this board!!!! Hi everyone! I'm Badette, a social worker from BC Canada. I was able to get a job offer from the Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham as a social worker through TTM!!! (great recruitment company) ;) We will be relocating by the end of August.  Is anyone working for this Borough? Any info will be greatly appreciated! Please give me any idea about the location and cost of living in this area. Thanks.....
Melissa A. Morrissette

Sponsored Links