Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: sports clothes  (Read 1164 times)

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
sports clothes
« on: November 27, 2003, 09:02:53 AM »
I have been going to the gym three times a week for almost three full months. This is in preparation for going skiing this Christmas. Well, I also want to keep fit, but the catalyst was to get my confidence back in skiing. I felt off balance by five years of a completely changed diet.

Firstly, they don't make clothes for people who need to go to the gym to work out in order to lose weight. The "gym" outfit I have is actually sporty-looking, but made for everyday wear. As a result, it's not sturdy enough to keep up with the exercise demands I have.

Gripe two is that now that I am close to going on the trip, I am searching a ski outfit. I figured the selection would be better online, so I found some place that offers a larger size and ordered it. Great service, I must say. But, the outfit doesn't fit. My thighs are too big and the trousers were made for someone without a post-baby pouch. I can get them on but I can't squat. I mean I am literally held in the stand-only position.

Why is it when people of larger size actually WANT to do something active, they can't get the clothes?

I might be skiing with plastic bags bound around my legs.  :-/
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Liked: 1
Re: sports clothes
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2003, 05:28:19 PM »
Wish I could help you with a place in the  UK...but I just wanted to say that I know how you feel.  I am round (decreasing but still round) and to add to it I am short.  So...I have had in the past the problem of plus sizes being tents and typical sizes not ever fitting because they are too small. AAAAAAAH!  They are starting to make more clothes for real women, but as you have noted there is still a shortage.
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• LA to London - Woo hoo!
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 04:25:30 PM »
You might try looking at snowboard clothing.  I have found it to be more comfortable, more stylish, and looser fitting.  I definitely prefer snowboard clothing.

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2003, 10:49:51 AM »
Buster, that's a great thought, and I think I ended up with that. We have a great sports clothing shop in town, it's just that I didn't want the embarassment of showing my face, looking for something everyone would feel sorry for me about in not being able to offer.

But I went there to buy my skis and since I had to tell the guy what I weighed (*CRINGE*) I figured I might as well put him through the whole fiasco. Pair after pair being handed to me in the dressing room. I was almost in tears. Until I was handed a pair I knew wouldn't fit because the size was labelled even smaller than the previous pair I'd tried. ("What was this guy thinking?") I pulled them on and I was in heaven. Bingo. Everything in the right spot. In my excitement, I didn't bother to see if they were for snowboarding or not. I just knew I wasn't going to be wrapping bin bags around my legs and I was thrilled! I came out of the dressing room and gave a big thumbs up and I almost got cheers from everyone.

The man who was waiting outside the next dressing room where his wife was trying on clothing was oblivious to the problem. He asked "Now why is it so easy for some people to decide on what to buy when my wife has been here for hours!" My husband grinned and kept the reason to himself.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab