Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US Taxes Extension  (Read 653 times)

• Liked: 0
US Taxes Extension
« on: February 16, 2006, 05:20:03 PM »
Which form do I need to fill out to ask for an extension for my taxes in the USA?

I have been working here since October 2006 and plan to stop working March 2006.

Also, does anyone know if I can claim any taxes in the UK back that I have paid here.

Re: US Taxes Extension
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 05:51:21 PM »
You can find the info for filing an extension here....http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/article/0,,id=98155,00.html

Your state taxes will vary depending on what state you are in. The state I am from (Oregon) only requires you to send a form for an extension in if you owe taxes.

Even if you do file an extension, that only gives you and extension to file, not to pay. If you owe taxes, you still need to pay when taxes are due. The IRS website should have calculators to help you estimate taxes owed if you think you may owe. If you are due a refund, you have 2 years to file your return.

I'm not a tax expert but went through this last year.

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 07:47:28 PM »
I am from Florida... I thought I was able to file an extension even if I owed money....

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 07:58:27 PM »
My husband tells me that when you are in the UK you are still liable for US Federal/state taxes (unless you have cut all ties with US and don't intend ever to return to reside) He went onto say that tax paid in the UK is credited against the Federal tax due in the US. Is anyone able to confirm/deny this? Thanks

• Death and taxes: I'd rather pay tax than be dead.
    • British American Tax
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 12:15:27 AM »
USAway,

You file for an extension, but it is not an extension of time to pay, just to file.  You have to include an estimate of the total tax you think you'll owe with the extension. 

Kate2112,

If you are a US citizen or greencard holder, you must formally give up your citizenship or greencard if you want to stop paying US tax; and even then, if you're rich, you'll still be subject to special US tax rules for another ten years.

If you are not a US citizen or a greencard holder, once you are no longer US resident you only have to file and/or pay US tax if you have US source income. 

Yes, taxes paid in the UK are credited against US tax, but there are certain exceptions. 
Liz Z i t z o w, EA
British American Tax

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 06:53:44 AM »
The IRS website says that you automatically get a two-month extension for being a foreign resident. You just have to attach an explanatory statement to your return.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=96768,00.html

Sponsored Links