Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK Taxes  (Read 829 times)

UK Taxes
« on: February 16, 2006, 08:18:52 PM »
So Dale is filing his taxes this year,and it asks for his spouses name along with an NIN. I don't have an NIN so what do we put down? Also, on the tax form he is filling out working credit and child credit. Is this classified as a benefit? If it is,will it come back on me as well since my name is being put on the application as a spouse?

Re: UK Taxes
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 08:43:37 PM »
why's he doing self-assessment?

Isnt he a Railtrack employee?

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 10:40:34 PM »
whats self-assestment?
Yeah,he works at Network Rail..
Am I missing something? ??? :P

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 07:46:44 AM »
If he is an employee (ie, not self-employed) then he doesnt need to do taxes... he will be on PAYE (pay as you earn).
Has he ever done this before in the past?

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 08:45:06 AM »
or has he done anything differently this year as opposed to last year?  for the first two years here I was on PAYE.  However, since i sold a bunch of stocks and transferred money to the US, I have been asked to do self-assessment.

there are other reasons why you may be asked to do self-assessment (on top of the PAYE your employer takes out).  does he have any rental income, sold shares, had any capital gains issues, etc???
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 12:34:54 PM »
hes never done his taxes before. He is doing them this year because his paychecks are taking out too much taxes,hes still being taxed as a single person with no kids.

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 12:38:54 PM »
I paid "emergency tax" in my last job because I started it before I had my NIN so they took far too much tax out of my cheques.... I got a notice from Inland Revenue saying that they were aware that it had happened and requesting a bunch of information and a copy of my P70 (70? Can't remember what the form is called now.) About a month later I got a very heavy cheque.  ;D

Could your dh contact them for a similar form and so not have to go through the whole self-assessment thing?

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 07:10:04 PM »
I'm still confused as to why he is doing self-assessment.  I thought if you were PAYE that was it.  I had to do self-assessment this year b/c my side job doesn't take taxes out.  But not for my main job.

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 07:49:50 PM »
hes never done his taxes before. He is doing them this year because his paychecks are taking out too much taxes,hes still being taxed as a single person with no kids.

No such thing, EY.
If you are PAYE, you pay the same tax, no matter how many kids you have or whether or not you are single or married.
I assume there are some sort of tax credits you can claim if you have kids, and there used to be a Married Couples Allowance, but that was done away with several years ago.

He doesnt need to 'do' his taxes!

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 09:57:55 PM »
Ahhh now I understand. I guess I got confused because a workmate of Dales told Dale this,and Dale told me. I guess somewhere between them talking about it and him telling me,things got left out and misunderstood! lol. Thanks everyone!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab