Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Socks and Shoes  (Read 1322 times)

• Liked: 24
Socks and Shoes
« on: November 28, 2003, 04:40:46 PM »
There's a running debate in our house between hubby and I regarding girls socks with school uniforms. This is Elementary/Infant age group, and many if not most of the girls I see at school, and on tv for that matter, are wearing white socks. Hubby says that doesn't make it right, and speaks of a book called "Dress for Success", etc, etc. Am I mad? Has anyone tried buying dark socks for a little girl? Very difficult to find, I haven't found any in our little shopping areas. White, white, white. So most of the time, she's wearing some of my dark socks when she wears trousers, or her brother's. ::)

Shoes. Hubby again, mr fussbag. No shoes with hearts or flowers. Where do we find plain back shoes with no decoration on for little girls??? AAHHHHGGGGHHHH!  [smiley=bomb.gif]

School shopping is a nightmare for me.  I had to return two pairs of trousers that weren't "acceptable" and the replacing two weren't good enough either. Didn't take them back though, otherwise she'd only have skirts/dresses to wear. :P

Re: Socks and Shoes
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003, 05:45:35 PM »
WHAT!!!???  You have got to take a stand on this one.  ALL little girls EVERYWHERE in the ENTIRE country of Great Britain wear white socks.  Unless they are in their civvies and then they wear fun socks.  And in the winter they wear dark tights-black or navy.  They do not at any time wear dark socks.  They are not little business men.  And if there is one thing you do not want to do in infant or primary school, it is to make your child stand out. This is coming from experience of putting three girls through the education system-the key to sucess is conformity.  Otherwise you are setting your child up for bullying.  Little girls need to wear white socks and pretty shoes-you can find ones with understated hearts and flowers, but it is essential for them to fit in.  

Er, edited to say in my opinion of course.   ;)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 05:46:29 PM by 12yearsandcounting »

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2003, 10:26:53 PM »
Oh, thank you Mindy.  I didn't want to say anything in case I was wrong and they are forced to wear dark socks, but I think skirts with dark socks and shoes are horrible looking.   White socks, please!!  Or socks with lace or embroidery even, if it's allowed!

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2003, 10:23:21 AM »
Leah, your hubby truly is a head scratching enigma sometimes.  I'd say if it's so important to him that his children dress a certain way then leave the shopping to him and wash your hands of it or take a stand.  I've never heard of such a thing as forcing a little girl to wear dark socks and not allowing shoes with no hearts or flowers on them.   :-/

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2003, 11:49:56 AM »
I have to agree with the majority here. Especially like Elle’s suggestion - let him do the shopping [smiley=wink3.gif]

• Liked: 24
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2003, 12:57:11 PM »
Thank you Mindy, I thought I was right but wasn't terribly sure, and I don't make waves unless I'm sure I'm right. ;)

Leah, your hubby truly is a head scratching enigma sometimes.  

rofl, very true. I can't wait to call him that though, "love, you're a head scratching enigma you are" lol

He does have his good points, honestly! ;) Just a very stubborn mindset.

I'd say if it's so important to him that his children dress a certain way then leave the shopping to him and wash your hands of it or take a stand.  I've never heard of such a thing as forcing a little girl to wear dark socks and not allowing shoes with no hearts or flowers on them.   :-/

I did leave the shoe shopping to him, and months later now, undone. Next week I'm going to get some shoes and if he doesn't like them, he knows where to stick them. ;)

*giggles* "head scratching enigma"
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 01:01:31 PM by admin »

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2003, 01:11:05 PM »
Sorry if I came across too forcefully.   ::)  You know what I'm like.   ;)

• Liked: 4
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2003, 07:41:42 PM »
having two girls.....i have to get this right, LOL.  

the answer is .....definiltey white socks.  

as far as the shoes, the school policy does say black shoes, but I'm with you on this ....no plain black shoes to find.  they all seem to have some type of deco on them.  the school hasnt complained about the girls shoes and I looked around the playground today and it appears all the girls have some type of deco on their black shoes.   so whats a girl to do  ;)  
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 07:42:16 PM by ItsBcoz »
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab