Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Books shmooks -Pick the Next One Please!  (Read 3318 times)

• Liked: 1
Books shmooks -Pick the Next One Please!
« on: December 04, 2003, 02:02:32 AM »
Here we go....hope it does not get killed for being too long.  All reviews are from amazon.com so there I cited it so we can't get sued. :P

Okay here are my choices.  As you can see they are a bit of everything since that is my taste.  ;D I have read some and some I want to read!

Three Junes by Julia Glass

This one is a National Book Winner and looks good.  

In June of 1989 Paul McLeod, a newspaper publisher and recent widower, travels to Greece, where he falls for a young American artist and reflects on the complicated truth about his marriage. . ..Six years later, again in June, Paul’s death draws his three grown sons and their families back to their ancestral home. Fenno, the eldest, a wry, introspective gay man, narrates the events of this unforeseen reunion. Far from his straitlaced expatriate life as a bookseller in Greenwich Village, Fenno is stunned by a series of revelations that threaten his carefully crafted defenses. . .. Four years farther on, in yet another June, a chance meeting on the Long Island shore brings Fenno together with Fern Olitsky, the artist who once captivated his father. Now pregnant, Fern must weigh her guilt about the past against her wishes for the future and decide what family means to her. In prose rich with compassion and wit, Three Junes paints a haunting portrait of love’s redemptive powers.

The b*tch in the House -Cathi Hanauer ed.

Okay…very girl book, but I have read this and the essays are great a good read for every woman and the men that love them.  Very diverse and open read.

This book was born out of anger," begins Cathi Hanauer, which seems appropriate considering the book's title: The b*tch in the House. What could have been a collective gripe about the day-to-day routine of holding a family or relationship together is instead a witty, and sometimes bitchy, read. These postfeminist mothers, lovers, wives, and independent women candidly put forward their anger in the taffy-pull world of household responsibility. Jill Bialosky puts it most succinctly, "I had wanted to get married, but I realized now that I had never wanted to be a 'wife'." There are essays written by those who willfully, and often playfully, seek a life independent from domesticated routine, and others who have aged past the concerns of being a self-fulfilled and responsible mother. Author and poet Ellen Gilchrist, who is also a mother and a grandmother, sets this lasting tone of contentment, "Family and work. Family and work. I can let them be at war, with guilt as their nuclear weapon and mutually assured destruction as their aim, or I can let them nourish each other."
Not entirely angry, it is ultimately a satisfying read. There are no intended messages on how women can improve their relationships with their husbands, partners, and children. That is the beauty of the book. They have instead revealed modern motherhood, and solitude, as it is, and may have been all along.

The Pillars of the Earth –Ken Follett

Bought it…have not read it, but am told it is great!

A radical departure from Follett's novels of international suspense and intrigue, this chronicles the vicissitudes of a prior, his master builder, and their community as they struggle to build a cathedral and protect themselves during the tumultuous 12th century, when the empress Maud and Stephen are fighting for the crown of England after the death of Henry I. The plot is less tightly controlled than those in Follett's contemporary works, and despite the wealth of historical detail, especially concerning architecture and construction, much of the language as well as the psychology of the characters and their relationships remains firmly rooted in the 20th century. This will appeal more to lovers of exciting adventure stories than true devotees of historical fiction. Literary Guild dual main selection.

Dude Where is My Country? –Micheal Moore

I just had to put this in here….I like Micheal Moore despite the foot in mouth symdrome.

The writings of the reenergized Left kicked into overdrive with Moore's Stupid White Men (2002). Always given to ranting, Moore at times gets dangerously close to Ann Coulter territory with this one. Like her, he's angry (for the opposite reasons, of course); he has some big ideas (perhaps the Saudis were behind 9/11); and he doesn't always get his facts completely straight (there are Poles stationed in Iraq). Unlike Coulter, however, Moore can be quite funny while pushing his agenda. In an opening salvo, he "asks" the president seven questions, including several about the relationship between the Bushes and the bin Laden family; he goes on to question the reasons for the war in Iraq, show how corporate malfeasance can be as devastating to the country as terror (he invites readers to his Web site to help him spend his tax cut), makes a strong case for America being more liberal than it seems, and begs Oprah to run for president. (If she declines, he suggests voting for Wesley Clark.) Least funny is the chapter where Moore adopts the voice of God. He makes his strongest points when he explains how incessant warnings about terror ruin lives, not save them. As is the case with Coulter, the fans will make this a best-seller, and those on the other side will enjoy attacking both book and author.

The Davinci Code –Dan Brown

What is the hype about?  I want to know…so it’s here. Number one best seller

With The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown masterfully concocts an intelligent and lucid thriller that marries the gusto of an international murder mystery with a collection of fascinating esoteria culled from 2,000 years of Western history.
A murder in the silent after-hour halls of the Louvre museum reveals a sinister plot to uncover a secret that has been protected by a clandestine society since the days of Christ. The victim is a high-ranking agent of this ancient society who, in the moments before his death, manages to leave gruesome clues at the scene that only his granddaughter, noted cryptographer Sophie Neveu, and Robert Langdon, a famed symbologist, can untangle. The duo become both suspects and detectives searching for not only Neveu's father's murderer but also the stunning secret of the ages he was charged to protect. Mere steps ahead of the authorities and the deadly competition, the mystery leads Neveu and Langdon on a breathless flight through France, England, and history itself. Brown (Angels and Demons) has created a page-turning thriller that also provides an amazing interpretation of Western history. Brown's hero and heroine embark on a lofty and intriguing exploration of some of Western culture's greatest mysteries--from the nature of the Mona Lisa's smile to the secret of the Holy Grail. Though some will quibble with the veracity of Brown's conjectures, therein lies the fun. The Da Vinci Code is an enthralling read that provides rich food for thought.

The Time Traveler’s Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

Due to be published in the UK on January 1st, 2004 …For you fantasy types out there.  Seems really cool..sci-fi type fantasy with history thrown in and a hint of romance.

This highly original first novel won the largest advance San Francisco-based MacAdam/Cage had ever paid, and it was money well spent. Niffenegger has written a soaring love story illuminated by dozens of finely observed details and scenes, and one that skates nimbly around a huge conundrum at the heart of the book: Henry De Tamble, a rather dashing librarian at the famous Newberry Library in Chicago, finds himself unavoidably whisked around in time. He disappears from a scene in, say, 1998 to find himself suddenly, usually without his clothes, which mysteriously disappear in transit, at an entirely different place 10 years earlier-or later. During one of these migrations, he drops in on beautiful teenage Clare Abshire, an heiress in a large house on the nearby Michigan peninsula, and a lifelong passion is born. The problem is that while Henry's age darts back and forth according to his location in time, Clare's moves forward in the normal manner, so the pair are often out of sync. But such is the author's tenderness with the characters, and the determinedly ungimmicky way in which she writes of their predicament (only once do they make use of Henry's foreknowledge of events to make money, and then it seems to Clare like cheating) that the book is much more love story than fantasy. It also has a splendidly drawn cast, from Henry's violinist father, ruined by the loss of his wife in an accident from which Henry time-traveled as a child, to Clare's odd family and a multitude of Chicago bohemian friends. The couple's daughter, Alba, inherits her father's strange abilities, but this is again handled with a light touch; there's no Disney cuteness here. Henry's foreordained end is agonizing, but Niffenegger has another card up her sleeve, and plays it with poignant grace. It is a fair tribute to her skill and sensibility to say that the book leaves a reader with an impression of life's riches and strangeness rather than of easy thrills.

Chaos - James Gleick

Hee hee...I am actually re-reading this for my paper but figured some other person might want to read it with me.

This book brings together different work in the new field of physics called the chaos theory, an extension of classical mechanics, in which simple and complex causes are seen to interact. Mathematics may only be able to solve simple linear equations which experiment has pushed nature into obeying in a limited way, but now that computers can map the whole plane of solutions of non-linear equations a new vision of nature is revealed. The implications are staggeringly universal in all areas of scientific work and philosophical thought.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 02:07:04 AM by vnicepeeps »
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

Re: Books shmooks -Pick the Next One Please!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 02:11:54 AM »
It would not fit!  One more!!

Blow Fly -Patricia Cornwall

I just like these books.  Sort of like watching TV not too much stress and easy to get through.

Dr Kay Scarpetta has left Virginia in quest of peace but instead finds herself drawn into baffling, horrific murders in Florida, where she becomes entangled in an international conspiracy that confronts her with the shock of her life. 'All of Cornwell's books run on high octane fuel, a cocktail of adrenalin and fear . such is her grip on her audience and such is her ability to suck you into her hermetic, claustrophobic world that Scarpetta's tension becomes the reader's. Her fear is contagious, her adrenaline levels boost your own.
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 05:03:39 PM »
I plan to read Blow Fly, because I've read all the Scarpetta books, but want to wait until it's out in paperback if I can...so I voted for The Pillars of the Earth, cuz I love medieval history.

Yay, so fun to have more book club stuff!

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003, 12:01:44 AM »
I went for the Da Vinci code, I was torn between that and the time travellers wife.  Which I think I'll read at my leisure. :)  They both look like they're really good.  As for Chaos, I'll definitley be reading that at some point too.

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2003, 02:01:14 AM »
I read Pillars of the Earth about 12 years ago and loved it.  I recently purchased it again and re-read the book.  It's still an excellent read.  BTW, Pillars is #33 in the BBC's Big Read.

Side note for SAF:
The first time I read the book, I really liked the writer and his style.  The second time I read it (recently), I found it a bit flat after being spoiled by historical writers such as Sharon Kay Penman and Ellis Peters.  I think this is mainly because women writers tend to tell stories in a different manner to men.  I'm having the same problem with the Harlequin series by Bernard Cornwell ... finding the characters a bit two-dimensional.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 02:04:35 AM by Caitlinn »
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2003, 03:44:08 PM »
I just wanted to add that I think it best to keep up the poll until December 22nd and then how about a month to read the book?

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2003, 04:26:23 PM »
Sounds good!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2003, 09:35:26 PM »
I've been looking for the da vinci code for a while.  But waiting p a t i e n t l y for it to come out in paperback.  So I'll start with that one.  I have seen the time travelers wife in stores already and was intrigued but wondered how confusing it would be with him coming and going.  I think I will read it too though.  Great selections.  
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2003, 04:35:06 PM »
So far the Davinci Code is winning! Only three days left!!!

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2003, 10:32:51 PM »
oooh....it's tied now...
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2003, 11:05:54 PM »
ok so its the 22nd.  What is the final verdict?  I'm in suspense here.  What do we read?! Anyone?
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2003, 12:57:39 AM »
Well it's a tie.  So...until 7pm EST/ Midnight for you UK folks Tuesday December 23rd!!!! Vote for one of the two!!!

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2003, 12:01:18 PM »
According to my poll, I've already voted and there's no votes cast!  Not sure if it's my computer or the voting system?....anyhow, I'm gonna be formatting my computer today so I may be offline for about 24 hours and I don't know how quick you want to get this vote out the way.  So, I'm voting for "The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown" ;)

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2003, 12:03:44 PM »
- additional.....

Well I took my old vote off, and submitted a new one (even though there were no votes showing) and it worked, so all you have to do to vote is withdraw your last vote and vote for one of the new two in the tie-breaker. ;) my vote is cast!

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2003, 03:04:24 PM »
Thanks for the info Nef  :-*...not sure what impact it would have when I changed the poll and did not make a new one.  

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab