Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US tax accountant  (Read 1571 times)

• Liked: 1
Re: US tax accountant
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006, 12:08:31 PM »
it really is amazing how complicated it all is......

i do have to say, due to my crazy travel schedule it really was worth it for me to hire an accountant.  All of this stuff just blows my mind!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2006, 11:17:55 PM »
Hello,

I have a question for any of you. I haven't filed for my taxes since I came to this country 6 years ago :-[ as I truly didn't realize I still needed to file.
Does anyone know where I can go to get help filling in my forms or if you all might know of anyone I could contact. I have the forms required for me to file but it's like a monkey staring at a math problem to me as to how these things are filled in and what if anything needs deducting etc.  :-\\\\ ......any info relating to this would be MOST grateful.   :)

Thankyou,
Molly

• Liked: 102
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2006, 11:27:40 PM »
Molly - the very first thing to say is that it is probably not that bad, you are not unusual, lots of folks are in your boat.

In fact if you earned below the $80,000 limit each year there will be no tax to pay; that doesn't mean to say that you shouldn't seek expert advice too, so do feel free to say what concerns you the most... ;)

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2006, 09:43:11 PM »
I rang the IRS in Philadelphia and the woman I spoke to was telling me the different salary ranges I needed to be under in order for me not to file for taxes for each of the years I have worked here. They ranged from $2900.00 for the year 2000 to $3200.00 for 2006.

She was also saying what type of forms I needed, I believe it was 1040-A and form 2555. I am filing as married but separately. If any of this rings any bells again info would be appreciated. 

So I am a little confused about this not having to file if I have not earned more than $80,000 thing. I am sorry if I seem a little thick about all of this it just completely baffles me. My poor husband is trying keep me calm and not too stress too much about all of this.

I truly hope it is not as bad as I am making it out too be. I just have awful visions of owing and paying penalties for not filing when I was supposed to. Silly I realize but cant help it.  :-\\\\

Does anyone know of anyone I could possibly contact here in the UK for advice or should I just ring the American Embassy?

• Death and taxes: I'd rather pay tax than be dead.
    • British American Tax
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2006, 01:01:52 PM »
Your Philly IRS agent is wrong.  You need 1040 and 2555EZ.  These are available on the internet, or you can buy older versions of TurboTax (and other tax software) on EBay.

You say you're confused about not having to file.  Earning under $80,000 but over the various limits ($2900 - 3200) means that you pay no tax, BUT you still have to file.  I'm not sure how much simpler the concept can get:  You have to file, but no tax is due. 

When you owe no tax, you only have to file the past three years, not the past six.  The past three years would be 2005, 2004, and 2003.

Good luck!
Liz Z i t z o w, EA
British American Tax

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2006, 03:58:36 PM »

Thank you for your help.  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab