Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UPDATE-- HSMP Visa  (Read 1344 times)

• Liked: 0
UPDATE-- HSMP Visa
« on: March 06, 2006, 09:07:02 PM »
Has anyone out there applied for the HSMP Visa as a married couple?  I'm seeing lots of threads about singles and under 28 y.o. applying, but I haven't seen many over 28's and married application stories.  Can anyone share their story with me?  I'm so nervous about the whole thing.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 07:47:26 PM by Hedda »

Re: HSMP Visa
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 09:20:12 PM »
what exactly are your concerns?

ps, my auntie's name is Hedda :)

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 09:39:56 PM »
Combined we have 95 points (I think).  I know it it says that 65 points is the minimum, but is 95 enough?  We are using a company that has a "no win, no fee" policy so that makes me feel confident (since they took our case), but I just don't see many stories on these boards about people getting an HSMP visa.

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 10:54:40 PM »
As long as one of you can rack up 65 points on your own (including the points added in for spouse's experience/qualifications) you will be fine!
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 05:14:46 AM »
Hedda,
   I am going through the HSMP process now... I filed Under 28, but from what I know, the only difference is that the Over 28 does not get the 5 points for age.  Please do not take this as professional advice, but from my experience, this is what I've learned so far.  You have to acquire 65 points to qualify, but more importantly you have to have evidence that backs up those 65 points.  Now because you are married you can claim your partners achievements, however the HSMP will be issued to whoever filed for it (there is not a "joint" application).  You can both file and get your own HSMP, but ~$1000 is a bit expensive if you ask me.  So if you decide to only file for one HSMP, Entry Clearance becomes important because you then have to prove that you are married or have been in a relationship akin to marriage for 2 or more years (which should be easy with a marriage certificate).  If you and your partner get through Entry Clearance, then you can both live and work under the HSMP, but the non-HSMP holder becomes your dependent (you leave, they leave).
--
Back to the HSMP application.  You stated between you and your partner, you have 95 points.  That definitely will qualify you.  However, evidence is key.  It is better to claim only 65 points and have solid evidence to back it up than to claim 95 with hopes that your evidence will be good enough to get you at least 65 points.   Keep it simple.  Only claim that which you can provide solid, original evidence as outlined in the guidance... do not try to "stretch it."
--
For example, my situation:  I did not go through a service... I claimed 65 point exactly (age, work experience, income).  I could have tried to claim additional points for partner achievement or my own achievement, but I was not confident with the evidence that I could provide.  Claiming anything for a partner requires you establish that you really are partners with at least 4 pieces of evidence.  If they do not like one of the pieces of evidence, the partner achievement points will not be counted.  I made sure that for any points I claimed I could provide solid, original evidence... My application was approved.  :)  I'm not married, but I have a girlfriend of over two years who will be coming with me.  So for Entry Clearance, we will both file separate applications, hers being a dependent of a HSMP holder.  We will provide lease agreements, insurance, and other mail to the same address as well as bank statements.  If all goes well, we will prove that we have been in a relationship akin to marriage for over 2 years (and have significant funds) and they will let us both in (fingers crossed... we still are in the process of Entry Clearance).
--
Sorry if this doesn't settle your nerves, but overall, so far, I found the HSMP process to be a pleasant experience.  My only real advice is to keep it simple, only claim the points you know for sure you can back up with undisputed, original evidence as outlined in the guidance.  Enjoy.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 03:11:22 PM by jola »

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 12:36:50 PM »
My professional opinion is that I agree with everything Jola has said!

If you definitely meetthe points criteria then the only reason for refusal is that there is not enough documentation to back it up, and a surprising amount of applications are refused on this.  Most people who use my company for their HSMP application do so because the evidence is not exactly what the Home Office require, or because they are unsure, or because their experience is borderline between graduate level and senior level.  If you really meet 95 points (as has been said, this would not be a 'combined' total but the total for one of you plus the partner bonus) and you have all the original documents, you should be fine to do it on your own.

Victoria

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 01:28:26 PM »
Thanks Everyone!   
Jola, I actually looked at your others posts when you applied for the HSMP visa and subsequently when you were approved -- congratulations to you.  It looks like the turn around time on your application was quite short.  I am hoping the process will go as smooth and quickly for my husbands application.  We are very confident in 85 of the points and have sent off all the documentation to support it (A little scary if you ask me -- had to send the marriage license and degrees, etc.)  I'm hoping the Home Office will have everything by the end of this week or the early part of next.  I keep reading that there is a way to check which month's applications the Home Office is processing currently.  Can anyone post the URL so I can check this out?

• Banned

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 01:41:35 PM »

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 07:11:36 PM »
I was surprised by the turn around time (3 days total) on my application because the www.workingintheuk.gov.uk site states that it can take from 2-14 weeks for a decision to be made.  I can speculate that because I only needed to submit a total of four pieces of evidence (copy of passport, W2, 12 months payslips, employee reference letter) the evaluation was pretty easy for them.  The only evidence that could have been questioned/pondered over was the employee reference letter, however in my cover letter, I stated that if they needed any additional clarification on my work experience/employee reference letter, that they should feel free to contact my employer directly as they knew of the application and my intentions (from what I know they did not contact them).

I imagine that questionable evidence will prolong the decision time.  Especially evidence such as degrees and professional certifications because they will have to be verified by NARIC.

Sorry for all the wordiness... All in all, I think the turnaround time will depend on how easy the evidence is to verify.  I really hope all goes well for you and that you receive a decision in a timely manner... I know how nerve racking it can be to wait, put all your plans on hold, and have no control over the situation once the application is sent in...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 07:15:35 PM by jola »

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 09:21:37 PM »
Well, it looks like I might have a wait ahead of me.  Our contact with the agency we are using to get all this stuff together told my husband today that it is currently about a four week processing time for HSMP Visas.  I feel like our application is pretty straightforward, but I guess you never know.

We've been wanting and dreaming about doing this for so long that I guess another months wait isn't going to kill me, but I just want to know!  Also, I am an elementary teacher (first grade) and need to start looking ahead for next year -- whether that be here in the states or possibly teaching in London. 

This is going to be agonizing.

• Banned

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 10:58:24 AM »
We advise our clients that it is taking about 4 weeks, but most of them come in in around 10 days if they are clear cut.

Good luck.

Victoria

APPROVED!!!! HSMP VISA
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 07:15:09 PM »
Just wanted to update that we found out today my husband's HSMP application has been APPROVED.  He claimed 95 points and we got them all.  I guess we are now on to EC.  I have no idea what we need to do for that, but I'm sure I can look around here and find out what I need. 
Thanks to everyone for all your helpful advice.

P.S.  I can't believe how quickly it came back to us.  He only applied last Thursday!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 07:46:42 PM by Hedda »

• Does my bum look big in this?
Re: APPROVED!!!! HSMP Visa
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 07:17:11 PM »
Congrats!  :)
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

Re: UPDATE-- HSMP Visa
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 03:27:45 PM »
Your dependant can add weight to your application if you can show proof of living together for 2 years. But I wouldn't worry too much if you can't, so long as you satisfy the 65 points requirement.

Cases take a few weeks, the good ones slightly less depending on the payment method made in the application (cheques take a while to clear).

newcomer link: http://www.internationalworkpermits.com [nonactive]

Re: APPROVED!!!! HSMP VISA
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2006, 05:41:39 PM »
Just wanted to update that we found out today my husband's HSMP application has been APPROVED.  He claimed 95 points and we got them all.  I guess we are now on to EC.  I have no idea what we need to do for that, but I'm sure I can look around here and find out what I need. 
Thanks to everyone for all your helpful advice.

P.S.  I can't believe how quickly it came back to us.  He only applied last Thursday!

Good news!!

Sponsored Links