Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Do I need to pay UK and US taxes?  (Read 1241 times)

• Liked: 0
Do I need to pay UK and US taxes?
« on: December 09, 2003, 12:10:25 PM »
I am preparing for a trip back to the States for the Holidays.  During my visit, I am scheduled to meet with a former employer to discuss an opportunity to work for them while I am in England. They do not have an office in the UK and have no intention of opening one.  I would be strictly telecommuting.  

From a tax perspective I am not sure if I would be better working for them as an Independent or as an employee?  Since they are a US company would I be paying both US and UK taxes?  I am trying to understand the rules/regulations a little better so that I know how to negotiate and explain any liabilities they might have regarding UK taxes.  They are a small company and may not be able to take on the issue of paying UK taxes.

Thanks
Laura
Would you not like to be
Sitting on top of the world with
Your legs hanging free

Dave Matthew Band  from Crash

Re: Do I need to pay UK and US taxes?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003, 08:53:47 PM »
Are you a US Citizen?
How long have you been in the UK?
How long do you intend to remain in the UK?
Will you be going on business trips to the US with this employment?
HT TAX (US & UK Tax Services)
e-mail:h.tanhaie@ntlworld.com

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 10:12:27 PM »
Yes I am a US citizen.
I have been here since August 2003.
We plan on being here a minimum of 2 year, max of 4 (this is based on my husbands contract).
Travel will be minimal. Maybe a couple of times a year (2-3).

Would you not like to be
Sitting on top of the world with
Your legs hanging free

Dave Matthew Band  from Crash

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 02:40:56 PM »
Ok. As a US Citizen you will have ongoing US filing requirement anyway.  However as you will be resident of the UK and will perform the services for your employer in the UK, you will have to pay tax on your earning in the UK first of all and then claim a credit for it on your US return when you file them.

Whether you should be self employed (sole trader I assume) or employee you will be taxed the same rate in the UK and US as it will be ordinary income.  What will be different is social security tax payments and pension contributions.  If you want to continue to pay US FICA and Medicare (as you will be retiring in the US I assume), and continue to contribute to your 401K plan, the best way to do this is to remain an employee of the US company.  You can get paid from the US payroll , but instead of Federal withholding, your employer needs to withhold UK taxes and operate shadow payroll in the UK.

If you are not concerned about continuing with the US Social security tax system, then you can either be an employee and get paid from the UK payroll, or become a sole trader and file your tax returns as a self-employed individual in the US and UK. Note that the UK National insurance contributions are different if you an employee or self -employed.

I hope I have answered your questions.
Helen
HT TAX (US & UK Tax Services)
e-mail:h.tanhaie@ntlworld.com

Sponsored Links