Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Visa and housing  (Read 1233 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Visa and housing
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2006, 05:19:20 PM »
We stayed in a hotel on Kensington High Street near Olympia... I would have to say that area is way out of our range. I'm looking hard for a job while I'm still in the U.S. We will move there, job or not, at the end of May. The ideal situation would be to have a job prior to arriving, but I'm not too confident that will happen.

What areas did you find that you liked?  Kensington is really not what I'm looking for, although it is very nice. 

I hear you about the job thing.  We thought my husband's company had a job for him over there and now it looks like it isn't what he thought it was so he may look elsewhere.  Obviously I'd prefer we go with a job, but I guess we'll go either way.  We are hoping to be there by June 1st.

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2006, 06:17:55 PM »
The way we went about our search was based on the tube lines (because we don't plan on having a car):  The tubes are broken into Zones, Zone 1 being the city center and Zone 5/6 being quite a bit further out.  Area's in Zone 1 (including Kensington) tended to be pretty expensive, so we eliminated those.  We found as you go further out of Zone 1 the areas got cheaper (with some exceptions).  We also wanted to be close to the city so our commutes would not be too long therefor we decided on looking at places in Zone 2 and 3.  I cannot confirm this, but I do believe if you live outside of Zone 3 and travel into Zone 3-1 the tube ride gets more expensive.  To make a long story short, here are our top 3/4 areas (based off tube stops):
Greenwich (Borders Zone 2-3) - We both really loved this area.
Islington (Zone 2 Angel Station)
Highbury (Zone 2)
Arsenal/Finsbury Park (Zone 2)

There were a few more and some we really did not like, but I can't remember them off hand.  These are all based off first impressions and might turn out to be really bad places to live.  We ended up deciding that employment will drive where we will end up living since just about every place we saw had it's goods/bads.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 06:19:48 PM by jola »

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2006, 09:35:57 AM »
You've spotted some great areas...but do be aware of living in Highbury if you like a quiet life...it can get a bit noisy around there on match days!

Victoria

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2006, 11:13:34 AM »
Also be aware that something Estate Agents won't have properties that will be available several months ahead.  This summer when we began a search, we were told we had to wait until at the least 2 months before our move due to the fact that there are so few properties who will either wait for you to rent them several months later (thus you'd have to pay for them while not living here) or they just won't be on the books.  So don't come too early!

Have you also checked out (zone 2), West Hampstead, Hampstead, St Johns Wood, or (zone 1) Marylebone?  They are all quite nice locations with good living spaces and easy access to many work places via tube.

• Banned

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2006, 11:21:09 AM »
Can I put in a bid for beautiful Battersea!

Great transport, zone 2, near the river, and with a big park and two commons nearby, as well as great pubs and restaraunts...and really low council tax!

Victoria

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2006, 04:02:39 PM »
Actually, I was really happy that my girlfriend liked Highbury (as a huge football fan knowing what it would be like on match days)... I didn't mention that to her though.  I just said "Yeah, looks like a nice place to live" while trying to keep my grin to a minimum ;D.

BTW: Do you think it would be a good answer in an interview if they ask why the U.K. and I yell "FOOTBALL" ;)... probably not.

You've spotted some great areas...but do be aware of living in Highbury if you like a quiet life...it can get a bit noisy around there on match days!

Victoria
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 04:04:48 PM by jola »

• Banned

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2006, 04:46:01 PM »
I think it is a wicked idea!  I bet the ECO would just love it, seriously!

If you do move there, I promise that the noise on matchdays isn't *just* me!!!

;D

Victoria

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2006, 12:54:34 PM »
Can I put in a bid for beautiful Battersea!  Great transport, zone 2, near the river, and with a big park and two commons nearby, as well as great pubs and restaraunts...and really low council tax!

Victoria

I've been hearing really good things about Battersea.  Can you tell me more?  I've been reading some of these guide books, but that isn't really giving me a good idea of what it would be like to live in an area.

There are some other places too . . . but it is kind of early on a Friday morning for me to recall the names . . .

• Banned

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2006, 01:36:48 PM »
Some bits are quite genteel, other bits are very funky, transport links are fantasic (espcially night buses), I've lived there for 4 years now and just love it.  It can be as quiet or as bustling as you want, depending where abouts you live.

Any more questions, just ask.

Victoria

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2006, 02:57:47 PM »
We want a fun area where there is stuff to do but where you can still get a good nights sleep.
We'll have to check Battersea out when we get there.

A friend of my husbands recommended we look around N1, EC1.  I've been looking at a map and I guess that is Islington/Angel and Farringdon. Any thoughts about that?

• Banned

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2006, 03:19:27 PM »
I love Islington too, but have never lived there.  Wouldn't mind it though...a walk to football, and great bars on Upper Street.  Quite trendy in parts.

Victoria

Sponsored Links