Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: National Insurance Number?  (Read 2404 times)

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
  • Liked: 0
National Insurance Number?
« on: December 09, 2003, 06:07:05 PM »
I am confused as the difference between the National Insurance Number vs. the number you get from NHS when you sign up.  What is NIN for?

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: National Insurance Number?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003, 06:18:07 PM »
National Insurance Number is like your US Social Security Number - it's how the money for National Health or anything else taken from your pay is kept track of, as well as any benefits, like Child Tax Credit.

The number you get on your NHS card is like your Insurance Card you would get through your insurance provider in the US and only has to do with medical treatment/issues.

Does that help?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 07:04:13 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.  I notice on here that people get nervous about an interview needed for NIN--can a person be turned down?

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2003, 08:32:24 PM »
I don't know if they can be turned down or not (I suppose, in *theory* they can - but I've never heard of it) - the reason people get nervous about it is because sometimes the interview for the National Insurance Number is way longer & more detailed than a visa interview! It certainly was for me. They just wanted every stinking little detail about every time I had ever come in & out of the country and things like that. It wasn't really *scary*, just annoying as boogers. :)
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2003, 09:37:43 PM »
Thanks, you've been a big help.

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2003, 09:05:59 PM »
Oops, I haven't done this yet!  I notice on my paystubs that there is a NIN on it but it may be a dummy number.  Where does one go to do this?

Thanks,
Sandy
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2004, 05:08:57 PM »
i have been working on trying to find out how to get my NIN for the past few days.  what a pain in the... ::)

anyway, i have found that most of the Job Centres around the area have absolutely NO CLUE as to what is going on.  i have been given so many numbers to call that are either dead end numbers, numbers to places that no longer have the particular dept. that i need, numbers to places that no one answers the telephones, or numbers that connect to even more people that have no clue and give me more numbers to call.   *sigh*  :\\\'(

i called the Derby Job Centre, and finally spoke to someone that knows what's going on.

here is the deal...

i have an employer that is interested in hiring me.  (*takes a bow*)  this will (hopefully) be my first job in the UK.   the employer needs to give me a letter, like a job offer, saying they want to hire me to start on whatever day, working however many hours at £___  pay per hour, etc.

once i have that, i can phone the Derby Job Centre at: (01332) 243 754 to make an appointment for an interview to get my NI Number.   appointments are usually made within the week that you call, and it takes about 3-6 weeks to get your number.  Meanwhile, i guess they will give me a temporary number to use (for the employers' bookkeeping records, etc).

then i guess i will be ready for work!

i was also told by the DWP (Dept. of Work and Pensions) that i have up to 1 year to work without a NI Number, but i really just want to get this sorted as soon as possible.

you DO NOT make your own tax credit temporary reference number, they said.  they would give it to you.   this temporary reference is NOT a NI #.  they will use the number to process your claim, but it does not mean that they will be able to pay tax credits.   the temp # will be an 8 digit number beginning with the letters OO, and it may appear on letters you or your employer recieve about your tax credit claim.  this temp. reference will only be used by the Tax Credit Office, not any other part of the Inland Revenue, Dept for Work and Pensions, or any other govt dept.

i hope this info may be helpful...  :)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 02:48:12 PM »
I'm currently applying for jobs - many of which are with the county council. They ask for an NIN on their application forms. My question is this - do you have to have an employment offer in order to apply for a number or can you apply while you're job hunting? Do you think a potential employer would hold it against me for not already having one?

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 03:15:34 PM »
I'm currently applying for jobs - many of which are with the county council. They ask for an NIN on their application forms. My question is this - do you have to have an employment offer in order to apply for a number or can you apply while you're job hunting? Do you think a potential employer would hold it against me for not already having one?

According to "the rules", one does NOT have to currently be working or have a job offer in order to apply for a NIN.  The rules say you are welcome to apply for a number if you are currently looking for work, but I was asked specifically if I was CURRENTLY working or had been OFFERED a job when I called to apply for my NIN.  It seems that the experience varies from place to place.

I was worried that employers would wonder why I didn't have a NIN and wouldn't interview me, but I didn't have a bad experience.  It's really just paperwork and a waiting game (two things Brits love, apparently!  ;) ), so I can't see why an employer wouldn't offer you a position based solely on the fact that you don't have your NIN yet.

Good luck! 

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2004, 03:41:26 PM »

According to "the rules", one does NOT have to currently be working or have a job offer in order to apply for a NIN.  The rules say you are welcome to apply for a number if you are currently looking for work, but I was asked specifically if I was CURRENTLY working or had been OFFERED a job when I called to apply for my NIN.  It seems that the experience varies from place to place.

I was worried that employers would wonder why I didn't have a NIN and wouldn't interview me, but I didn't have a bad experience.  It's really just paperwork and a waiting game (two things Brits love, apparently!  ;) ), so I can't see why an employer wouldn't offer you a position based solely on the fact that you don't have your NIN yet.

Good luck! 

I was told at my NI number interview that (in my area here in Medway, Kent) that there had been stories of employers not giving applicants a second glance because they didn't already have an NI number.  It is a possibility you can be discriminated against for not having one.

But it is your right, as lola said, to apply for one if you are actively looking for work even though you haven't secured employment yet.  So push for it!

- Benjamin Franklin

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2004, 08:46:19 PM »
I just had to show I was actively job hunting when I interviewed for the NI number. Their office gave me a letter confirming that I had applied for one which I didn't need to show when I was job interviewing but, could have if someone had fussed.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2004, 09:10:08 AM »
I just had to show I was actively job hunting when I interviewed for the NI number. Their office gave me a letter confirming that I had applied for one which I didn't need to show when I was job interviewing but, could have if someone had fussed.

Yeah, I was told to keep my letter handy so I could show I'd applied for a number, too.  Never had to.  Don't even know where my fancy little embossed card is right now, either... :P

- Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab