Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Need Help filling out Spousal Visa Application  (Read 676 times)

• blog about life abroad
  • Liked: 0
Need Help filling out Spousal Visa Application
« on: March 12, 2006, 09:05:19 PM »
I am marrying a Brit in May and will be moving to the UK after the wedding. I am applying for a Spousal visa and I am just going through the application. I will then submit the application online (pay the money) and wait to get an appointment to go in person to the British Consulate.

The application asks if I am applying as the spouse or the fiancee. Well, when I have my appointment at the British Consulate in NYC, I will be his spouse and I want a spousal visa. But right now I am just the fiancee.

It then asks what my current marital status is. Again, I will be married when I go to the offices but I'm not yet.

On the second page, it asks if I've been married before. This question makes me think they mean have I been married before this time...but I am getting so confused. I've never been married before.

Do I fill this out with the details of who I will be AFTER the wedding (which is when we'll be officially applying) or do I fill in the details of who I am now?

Sorry this is so confusing. It's just a lot to think about...

Re: Need Help filling out Spousal Visa Application
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 11:26:45 PM »
No idea what to tell you, but I'm in the same boat as you and had the same exact questions when I was looking over the application!

It seems so simple, but then you're like "...hmm wait a minute!" and get all confused. (At least I did anyway!)

• Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 08:52:36 AM »
You fill the form out according to your status at the time of the application.  If you're applying for a spousal visa, you'll be a spouse when you apply, otherwise you wouldn't qualify.

• Conservative for the moral good of mankind
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 06:27:01 PM »
yeah fill out the application for what is relevant at the time of the application.  I don't know where you are located but if you can I reccommend handing it in in person. I travelled 5 hours away and stayed in a hotel the night before. I had to go to chicago to do mine but it was all worth it in the in.  Just make sure you have ALL the relevant documents as well as extras.  I put mine all together nicely in a folder and they were quite impressed with it.  I handed in my forms and passport (which I had changed and expediated right back to me for a fee of $100 so I could get  it to the consulate's office with my new name on my new passport) and was told to come back in 4 hours.  4 hours later, I had my spousal visa!
"Be completely humble and patient, bearing with one another in love"  Ephesians 4:2

"All that is necessary for evil to win the world is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 08:54:36 PM »
I am collecting everything together I have no idea how we are going to carry all the info the only thing left is bank statements up till we leave at the end of April to get married, can I ask with bills did you put up to date stuff in I have covered a period of a year with different bills to show how long I have lived at my address.
I have put in last years council tax bill and this years when I receive it, I have put in all of the last 6 months bank statements to date for my 3 bank accounts, anything that shows I am working for myself just waiting on bank statements for the account to come, inland revenue paper work to show I have reg with them, my copy of my deeds for the house I got them the end of Feb will I need ones more up to date and a letter from the bank stating my mortgage etc again will I need this dated for April? I have read about the consulate being funny about dates and paper work not being dated close enought to the time of applying for the visa we will be applying we hope May 3rd?

I have set up a folder and put in individual clear pockets but just put all the bills in one all finacial stuff in another etc and listed it all would it be better to put each piece of documentation in seperate pockets?.

Thanks

Sonya and Chris

• Conservative for the moral good of mankind
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 10:20:03 PM »

Hi, we used a folder with the individual clear pockets as well.  We actually separated each type of bill in different pockets just in case we needed quick access we wouldn't have to sort through all the papers. i.e. elecrtical bills in one, council tax in one, tv license in one, and so on.  With bills we put the last 3 months up to the time to hand it in as well as a couple from previous months as well just to safe. They won't want a whole year's worth but it is always better to have more than you need as long as you know exactly where it is located in the folder for quick access. If you have the last 3 months worth as well as perhaps 2 from the beginning when you acquired the bills.  But importantly make sure you have originals and not copies. Or copies that have been notorized. Have everything ready to go and just update the paperwork if you acquire anymore closer to the date of the actual applying.  Hope that helps.  It should all go smoothly as long as you have what they ask for!  Good luck!
"Be completely humble and patient, bearing with one another in love"  Ephesians 4:2

"All that is necessary for evil to win the world is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 10:36:59 PM »
Thank you that is pretty much what I have done but I keep finding more proof to put in LoL I figured since I am going to be in the USA from April I need to take to much as if it is needed I will not be able to get them once I am there, I may even put some in a seperate folder a Just in case folder LoL.

I was wondering also with bank statements if I could print off any from my account once I am there the day before just to make sure we have them as up to date as they want but I read somewhere that they do not accept these errrrrrrrrrrrrr.

We are putting a photo album together not a big one we have over 4000 pics in total I love to take photos and have over 5000 of all of us as a family and with friends we figured maybe 20 or 30 I know its way to many but they can not say we are not a couple or a family with all of those an in an album they can just flick through the first few or the lot.

I have read so much on here I think I am almost prepared for any climate LOL.

Thank you so much for your help.

Sonya and Chris.

• taking over birmingham one by one...
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 04:38:27 AM »
we just filled out the application on wednesday.

sent it in via fastrack & paid.

i ticked "single," as we are not yet married, but we will be once i am able to make the appointment. since the application is dated 14 march, and the wedding is not until 6 may, i figured it would be falsifying to tick "married."

because it's a VAF2, spousal visa application, i assumed they would accept our marriage certificate as proof.

did i just royally screw up?

:-\\\\
it's not where you're born, it's where you belong

-U2, 'summer rain'

Sponsored Links