Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Sticky Situation  (Read 670 times)

• Liked: 0
Sticky Situation
« on: March 15, 2006, 12:03:15 PM »
I recently moved to the UK (Oxford) to base my travels as i am an athlete traveling around the world, I am not working or earning money in the UK and all my earnings abroad go through my account in America. I am self employed so i cannot have anyone sponsor a work permit...i am having troubles in Customs every time in enter the UK now and was hoping someone on here could point me in the right direction. I have contacted an immigration lawyer but she has not returned my emails/phone call lately and im getting frustrated. I lived in Austria the past few years and never had any problems, i only registered with the local goverment and it was great.

Can anyone help? any past experiences?

Thanks!

Colin

• Liked: 8
Re: Sticky Situation
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 12:05:44 PM »
If you've moved here, you're settled here, and you must have the appropriate settlement visa (which you must leave the UK in order to obtain). 

Looking here (http://www.britainusa.com/visas/other_show.asp?SarticleType=25&Other_ID=1499), I don't see anything specific to athletes, but you may qualify for the HSMP or find another type of work permit that would work in your situation.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 12:10:19 PM by Lola »

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 12:45:59 PM »
The information you have given is not really enough to see what visa you need.  It may be that what you are doing can be done on a visit visa, but it sounds as though this may not be the case if you are being paid.  There is information on www.workingintheuk.gov.uk specific to sportspeople, you should have a look there.

I think a visit visa would be appropriate if you have ameteur status and are only getting board and lodging and reasonable expenses, provided you meet the other criteria for visits.

Have you looked to see if you qualify for the HSMP?  If you wish to earn money in the UK this could be a good option.

Victoria

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 04:06:29 PM »
...i am having troubles in Customs every time in enter the UK now and was hoping someone on here could point me in the right direction.

What kind of trouble are you having?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab