Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Visiting for 12 mos - what visa do we need?  (Read 596 times)

• Liked: 0
Visiting for 12 mos - what visa do we need?
« on: March 15, 2006, 09:13:51 PM »
My family wants to spend a year in Scotland and my husband's company has an office there. They will let him work from that office, but continue to pay him from the US. Can we go on a visit visa for 6 months and come home for xmas and go back? Should we try for a HSMP (we did a quick check and it looks like he has 90 points). Or should we try and get them to do a work permit (they aren't asking hime to go, so I don't think they want to pay for this)?

Also, someone said we may have to pay taxes in BOTH countries? YIKES! Is this true?

• Liked: 2
Re: Visiting for 12 mos - what visa do we need?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 09:16:45 PM »
Your husband's company should sponsor him for a work permit and then you can go as his spouse.  He can't work in the UK as a visitor.

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 11:01:11 PM »
There is a tax treaty between the US and the UK but only up to $80,000.  The IRS calls it a Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.  Income above that amount and you'll have to pay US tax as well.

I really don't know why they have this threshold or how they came up with the amount.  Anyone know?
And the world first spoke to me in Sensurround

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 10:31:02 AM »
your husband's company needs to apply for a work permit for him.  as it would be intra-company transfer pretty straight forward (my company applied on my behalf 3 years ago).  the work permit holder's spouse & children will been dependent visas to come as well.
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

Sponsored Links