Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: PETS help!  (Read 898 times)

• afflicted with wanderlust
  • Liked: 0
PETS help!
« on: March 19, 2006, 01:53:46 AM »
Hello all,

I am still new to the site, so bear with me!

My husband and I might be moving to the UK, and since I can't bear to be separated from our furball any longer than need be, we wanted to start the process just in case. 

We printed out the "how to checklist" off the DEFRA site and took it to our vet today.  They installed the microchip, and gave the rabies vaccine.  We got a printout from the vet and they included the date, batch number, producer of the vaccine, and they did check the chip before and after insertion.

Our question... we're unsure at this point as to if there is a given form we're supposed to be filling out as we go through this.  Are our vets notes, scrawled on the health certificate they printed out for us going to suffice?  We're so worried about not doing something right here that it's really scary!

The PETS scheme says to record all of this on the vaccination certificate, but we've not been keeping up an official record.  That's why I'm wondering if there's an official form I can get, or if the certificate she printed out today will work.  (It's not an official notarized certificate - just a computer printout).

If you've done this, how did you record these first few (but ultimately crucial!) steps?
Thanks,
Sonja
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 01:56:14 AM by Hep_Cat »

Re: PETS help!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 08:27:48 AM »
You need a third country vet certificate and here, there are a few links posted. 

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=20940.0

You need to follow the check list to the letter.  If you are unsure, then contact DEFRA.  They are great and so helpful.  There is a ton of advice in this forum so take a few hours and read through it all.  It is such a confusing process, but when you look back on it after you have your fur ball in your arms, you think "that wasn't so bad". 

Get to know the Defra website intimately.  Further back in this forum, I posted links to the most important things.  There is a fact sheet (importing cats and dogs from non-EU countries) that is the most important source of information and it tells you EVERYTHING you need to do. 
Riding the rollercoaster of life without a seat belt!

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 09:40:43 AM »
I had my certificates completed when I went in for the tick/worm treatment, two days before we flew out.  Once the 3rd party vet cert is filled out its only good for 4 months.  Its basically a waiting game until the six months is up, then you have the cert. completed.

• Conservative for the moral good of mankind
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 03:34:57 PM »
Hello all,

I am still new to the site, so bear with me!

My husband and I might be moving to the UK, and since I can't bear to be separated from our furball any longer than need be, we wanted to start the process just in case. 

We printed out the "how to checklist" off the DEFRA site and took it to our vet today.  They installed the microchip, and gave the rabies vaccine.  We got a printout from the vet and they included the date, batch number, producer of the vaccine, and they did check the chip before and after insertion.

I went through this and if you follow it to the tee it will be quite simple. I still have all my paperwork which includes the following below. Keep every single piece of documentation and make sure you have

*"Pet Travel Scheme: Entry or Re entry of Pet Cat or Dog to the United Kindgom" paperwork notorized. That is very important.   

*Health Cerficate from the Vet with name, owner's name, vaccines given, and date they were given, as well as the vets official signature. 

*Request for FAVN-OIE Rabies Antibody test paper.
This is the paper from the authorized lab where the rabies test is done with the lab techs signature and all the info includes micrchip number and the details of the animal

*The Pet Travel Scheme Declaration Form (should be carbon copied) You can list 2 pets on it.  This is vital as well.  Its a simple form that wants the microchip number as well as the owners name.

*Then you will need to get a cerficate of Acclimation for cold weather (depending on when you are traveling) but still best to get a certificate or acclimation from the airline you will be flying on and have your vet sign it to say they can fly.

I also kept a copy of all receipts from the vet every time i went in to have something done pertaining to this procedure. It all helps in the end!

As several mentioned before, DEFRA is a good website to read up on. 

Good luck!

Our question... we're unsure at this point as to if there is a given form we're supposed to be filling out as we go through this.  Are our vets notes, scrawled on the health certificate they printed out for us going to suffice?  We're so worried about not doing something right here that it's really scary!

The PETS scheme says to record all of this on the vaccination certificate, but we've not been keeping up an official record.  That's why I'm wondering if there's an official form I can get, or if the certificate she printed out today will work.  (It's not an official notarized certificate - just a computer printout).

If you've done this, how did you record these first few (but ultimately crucial!) steps?
Thanks,
Sonja
"Be completely humble and patient, bearing with one another in love"  Ephesians 4:2

"All that is necessary for evil to win the world is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

• Conservative for the moral good of mankind
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 03:36:56 PM »
I don't know what happened below. I must of screwed up somehow but my email is thrown in amidst the previous post. I am copying it again to make more sense! sorry!

I went through this and if you follow it to the tee it will be quite simple. I still have all my paperwork which includes the following below. Keep every single piece of documentation and make sure you have

*"Pet Travel Scheme: Entry or Re entry of Pet Cat or Dog to the United Kindgom" paperwork notorized. That is very important.   

*Health Cerficate from the Vet with name, owner's name, vaccines given, and date they were given, as well as the vets official signature. 

*Request for FAVN-OIE Rabies Antibody test paper.
This is the paper from the authorized lab where the rabies test is done with the lab techs signature and all the info includes micrchip number and the details of the animal

*The Pet Travel Scheme Declaration Form (should be carbon copied) You can list 2 pets on it.  This is vital as well.  Its a simple form that wants the microchip number as well as the owners name.

*Then you will need to get a cerficate of Acclimation for cold weather (depending on when you are traveling) but still best to get a certificate or acclimation from the airline you will be flying on and have your vet sign it to say they can fly.

I also kept a copy of all receipts from the vet every time i went in to have something done pertaining to this procedure. It all helps in the end!

As several mentioned before, DEFRA is a good website to read up on. 

Good luck!
"Be completely humble and patient, bearing with one another in love"  Ephesians 4:2

"All that is necessary for evil to win the world is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab