Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK citizenship  (Read 1391 times)

• Life is like a tire swing.
  • Liked: 0
Re: UK citizenship
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 04:39:05 PM »
Oh, wow! tam2, I seem to be in the same boat as you. I am just as surprised as you are too!
Thanks, Victoria also from me!!! ;D
MOMMA ALWAYS SAID:  "There an awful lot you can tell 'bout a person by their shoes" --- "Where they goin' , Where they been"
"I've worn lots of shoes"   Forrest Gump

"I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floatin' around accidental-like on a breeze. But I, I think maybe it's both."     Forrest Gump

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2006, 07:01:57 PM »
The rules state that the applicant must have been physically present in the UK three years before the date of application, it does not state that they must have had residency at this time.

And just to add that the date of the application is the date they stamp it in their mail room, not the date you post it.  And they fix the start date three years to the day earlier than the date of the application, so you need to have been in the UK on that exact day or the application will bounce.

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2006, 07:16:04 PM »
I never knew that either!  Not that I'm planning on applying for British citizenship, but it's a good point of fact to be aware of :)
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2006, 08:12:20 PM »
Anyone know exactly how much it's costing these days?  Start to finish - including passport?

I've been here as a spouse for nigh on 4 years now.  Really need to get saving for this, it's long overdue. 

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 08:22:40 PM »
And just to add that the date of the application is the date they stamp it in their mail room, not the date you post it.  And they fix the start date three years to the day earlier than the date of the application, so you need to have been in the UK on that exact day or the application will bounce.

Wow...a good technicality to know about...thanks for that!

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2006, 09:07:39 PM »
I believe you can apply after 2 years and 9 months as they expect applications to take at least 3 months.  Is that right?  I went to Brent Town Hall and had them certify everything through the fast-track method and I don't think it took 3 months but then again, I didn't apply at 2 years and 9 months.

I know the passport costs £42, I can't remember the filing fees.  I think it was a fair bit over £100.
And the world first spoke to me in Sensurround

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2006, 11:20:59 PM »
Just received a follow-up letter from my immigration lawyer, regarding my ILR and possible future citizenship.  In it he tells me one has to be lawfully resident in the UK for 5 years, at least one of which is on ILR status, before one can apply for citizenship.  It would be sooner if my partner and I enter into a Civil Partnership. 

I'm posting this to clarify things a bit, in case anyone else out there in an unmarried relationship thinks they can apply after 3 years, as I thought after reading what was posted earlier in the thread.  That's not the case.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2006, 11:27:13 PM »

If you are applying for citizenship through marriage you have to have been here for 3 years.  If you are applying through HSMP/work permit/ancestry, then it is 5 years with one year having been on ILR, so really 6 years now.

Just realised that I am not sure when it comes to unmarried partners, so will check on Monday.

Victoria

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2006, 12:09:28 AM »
Victoria, my situation is that of an unmarried partner.  According to my lawyer, I won't be able to apply for citizenship until June 28, 2008--exactly 5 years from the time I arrived here.  If my partner and I decide to do the Civil Partnership route, I would be able to apply sooner...

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2006, 09:23:14 PM »
I just paid 268 pounds for the application and 34 for the life in the UK test..the passport is going to cost 51 pounds plus the cost of photos...sent my application in late february..i received confirmation of receipt of the application about a week later but havent heard anything yet
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2006, 01:02:03 PM »
Just double checked.  The residence requirement for Unmarried Partners is 5 years, with one full year on ILR.  For Civil Partners it is three years, and you must have ILR but it does not have to be for a clear year, the same as married couples.

Victoria

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab