Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Uh oh, problem?  (Read 1544 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Uh oh, problem?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2006, 09:13:56 PM »
If you go to the UK Visas website and try a combination of UK Ancestry visa with a nationality of United States you get this message:
Nationals of United States are not eligible for entry to the United Kingdom under the UK Ancestry scheme. What amarylis and others have said in regards to this visa option is correct. If it was an option for US citizens, plenty of people would have used it to come over to the UK.

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2006, 09:15:13 PM »
There is a list giving you different options it does not say that if you are from the USA you can not applie.

I think Victoria or Garry really need to step in here and confirm what information is correct as when we looked into it there are several sites that my fiance looked into and it was ok if he was from the USA on them.

I would hate for someone to be dissappointed and give up or waste money if the wrong info where given to them.

It's pretty black and white...there is a specific list of countries (http://www.thecommonwealth.org) that are eligible for the Ancestry visa (and the Working Holiday visa, for that matter).  The US isn't on that list.  Therefore, US citizens cannot apply for this visa.  There's nothing ambigious or confusing about it.  End of story.

edit: what tanis said. :)
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• Phwoar.
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2006, 09:16:24 PM »
There is a list giving you different options it does not say that if you are from the USA you can not applie.

You posted the criteria for obtaining an Ancestry visa, one of which is the applicant must be a Commonwealth citizen.  The US is not a Commonwealth country.

Therefore, if a person only has US citizenship they are not eligible for the Ancestry visa.

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2006, 09:18:50 PM »
http://www.immigration4uk.co.uk/ancestry.html

To qualify for a UK ancestry visa you must be able to prove that one of your grandparents was born in the UK before 31st March 1922. You must be able to show the line of descent from the grandparent to yourself. We can deal with your application and advise you on the evidence that needs to be included.

Chances of success are improved if you are able to show that you will not need to claim any public funds and you intend to work in the UK. A UK job offer is an advantage.

Visas can be given for up to four years, after this we may be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK. If you have a visa for less than four years, we may be able to get it extended

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2006, 09:25:49 PM »
*sigh*....I give up.  I can't really explain it more clearly than I already have.

edit: sorry to hijack your thread, HD!
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2006, 09:29:37 PM »
http://www.immigration4uk.co.uk/ancestry.html

To qualify for a UK ancestry visa you must be able to prove that one of your grandparents was born in the UK before 31st March 1922. You must be able to show the line of descent from the grandparent to yourself. We can deal with your application and advise you on the evidence that needs to be included.

Chances of success are improved if you are able to show that you will not need to claim any public funds and you intend to work in the UK. A UK job offer is an advantage.

Visas can be given for up to four years, after this we may be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK. If you have a visa for less than four years, we may be able to get it extended

this is NOT an option for people who only hold US citizenship, unfortunately.  both tanis and amarylis are correct in that respect. 

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2006, 09:35:05 PM »
Hi hope this helps it does  not state on this list you can not be from the USA to claim it,

you are a Commonwealth citizen
you are aged 17 or over
you have a grandparent who was born in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man (see note below)
you have a grandparent who was born in what is now the Republic of Ireland before 31 March 1922 (see note below)
you are able to work and intend to do so in the UK, and
you can support yourself and any dependants, and live without needing any help from public funds.

Note: if you or your parent (who you are claiming ancestry through) are adopted, you can still apply for entry under this category. You must show evidence of the legal adoption with your application form.

Hi, sonya & chris - it's awfully nice of you to make such an effort to give HopelesslyDevoted as much information as possible. Unfortunately, in this  case, the person applying must meet ALL the above criteria. So they must be a member of a commonwealth, they must be over 18, they must be able to prove ancestry, and so on and so on.
I know I'm late - where's the booze?

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2006, 09:36:04 PM »
Sonya, that link you posted is from a for-profit that is giving out bad information. This is from the Immigration and Nationality Directorate: http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en/home/laws___policy/immigration_rules/part_5/section_3.html

PERSONS WITH UNITED KINGDOM ANCESTRY
Requirements for leave to enter on the grounds of United Kingdom ancestry
186. The requirements to be met by a person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom on the grounds of his United Kingdom ancestry are that he:
(i) is a Commonwealth citizen; and
(ii) is aged 17 or over; and
(iii) is able to provide proof that one of his grandparents was born in the United Kingdom and Islands and that any such grandparent is the applicant's blood grandparent or grandparent by reason of an adoption recognised by the laws of the United Kingdom relating to adoption; and
(iv) is able to work and intends to take or seek employment in the United Kingdom; and
(v) will be able to maintain and accommodate himself and any dependants adequately without recourse to public funds; and
(vi) holds a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity.

I don't trust anything about immigration that isn't backed up from a government source. If you still want to say the Home Office is incorrect, that's your call.

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2006, 09:45:37 PM »
Yes that maybe so as it states on most of the sites you can visit  you can not have any sort of public funding they forget to mention that it is OK for the citizen of the UK to have it as long as the person they are sponsoring does not claim it as do the other sites I may well be incorrect but it does not state that you do have to be it is as with the other info open to interpretation and I would think that just to be 100% that anyone looking into this type of visa calls the relevant department to confirm exactly what information may or may not apply to them as none of us are experts on this subject we can only go on what is written and how we each of us interpret it.

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2006, 09:50:38 PM »
Errrrrrrrm I find this very interesting but I do not remember saying the home office was incorrect or correct to be honest as I have stated before I am not an expert obviously there are a few people who are on here.

So if I where the person or persons inquiring I would really as I have said before call the relevant department and clarify, nothing like the real thing sometimes this is obviously one of those case's.

Good luck both of you

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2006, 10:28:52 PM »
Black and white, absolute fact, you cannot apply for an ancestry visa if you are not a Commonwealth national.  End of.  This means that Americans cannot.  If this is wrong, report me to the OISC and spank my bottom.

Now, HopelesslyDevoted, I think this thread has got off track.  You need to start with the basics.  Have a look through www.ukvisas.gov.uk and seeif there are any visa categories which you think may be useful to you.  You can then come back here with specific questions, and we will do all we can to help you.

Victoria

Sponsored Links