Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: This is so overwhelming.  (Read 1686 times)

• Hi, I'm Laura.
  • Liked: 0
This is so overwhelming.
« on: March 23, 2006, 04:04:46 PM »
I want to live in the UK, but I haven't got any idea of even where to START this whole visa/citizenship process. I understand it's a very long and difficult journey, but I haven't got a single clue of even where to begin, or if I could even qualify to become a citizen or live there. I know all of you know a lot of specific things and are very experienced so I hope I'm not bothering you all, because I really don't know anything.

I've done my research on the actual UK, what life would be like, etc. That part I'm okay on. What I don't understand is this entire becoming a citizen process. Could anybody please explain where I can begin, or try to?

Re: This is so overwhelming.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 04:09:21 PM »
for better or worse you can't just pick up your US self and move over to the UK permantly lickidy split.  you can come here as a visitor for 6 months but you can't work etc....

do you have any ties to the UK that would help you?  are you engaged to the UK person?  married to a UK or EU person?  recently graduated from a US university?  unusual work skills?  independently wealthy and going to retire?  working for a US company that has a UK branch?  coming to the UK to start up a business with lots of investment? 

don't feel like you're bothering us... we've all been there at one point in our individual journeys.
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 04:10:14 PM »
Plenty of newbies here; I'm just starting the process, myself.

What's your situation? I mean, do you just like the UK and want to move there? Or do you have someone over there? That will affect how you get there.

• Hi, I'm Laura.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 04:11:34 PM »
Ahh. Well, most of my family lives in the UK, though I'm not engaged to any of them.

• Does my bum look big in this?
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 04:16:03 PM »
Ahh. Well, most of my family lives in the UK, though I'm not engaged to any of them.

How close are these relatives?  Were either of your parents born in the UK?
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

• Hi, I'm Laura.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 05:02:19 PM »
How close are these relatives?  Were either of your parents born in the UK?

Unfortunately not. The only people who are UK citizens are my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 05:03:44 PM »
your grandparents.  which set?  did one of your parents live in the UK for a period of time?  were they born in the UK?  do they have a british passport or are they entitled to a british passport?

• Hi, I'm Laura.
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 05:06:08 PM »
It's my father's parents who were born and lived in the UK for most of their lives. My parents were both born in the US, though I believe now my grandma is moving back to the UK (she has dual citizenship). Neither of my parents ever lived in the UK and I don't believe they have a British passport. The only one with a British passport that I know of are my grandparents, because I traveled to the UK with them last year.

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 06:51:01 PM »
hmmm... from what i know your FATHER would be eligable for a UK passport.  but i'm not sure about you being entitled to a UK passport.  i'd start my search by looking at the ancestery visa section of the home office website....

www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 08:21:07 PM »
Chris looked into this and you can come and live in the UK if your grandparents where born here it is ancestry visa. Your grandparents have to have been born in the UK and sometimes even  your greatgrandparents can be used to get an ancestry visa but  you need to check the full details of this on the site.

It is all explained in the immigration site.

Good luck

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 09:57:18 PM »
I thought you could apply for a UK Ancestry visa only if you're a citizen of a Commonwealth nation.  http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1018721067684#Q1
Bored

• Hi, I'm Laura.
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 10:10:21 PM »
Both of my grandparents were born in the UK...but ugh, I'm not a member of a Commonwealth nation. Wow, this really sucks.

• It's 4:20 somewhere!
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 11:02:32 PM »
Sorry to hear that YG2, pity there is a no such thing as a country swap. Lord knows there are a few here that want to be there. I really hate this idea of borders, I mean aren't we citizens of earth?

Not to be nosey, but can't you and him marry or did I miss a post somewhere. That sounds like the only option or university but that is temp.

Still tired of coteries and bans. But hanging about anyway.

• Hi, I'm Laura.
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 11:57:13 PM »
You're not being nosey! :) He and I could get married, but I think we're a long way off from that. I do want to be with him, but neither of us is ready for marriage yet.

• It's 4:20 somewhere!
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 12:03:20 AM »
Could you come over for 6 months, then get engaged for 6 months? Don't know if they allow that but I do know that the fiance visa is good for 6 months. Just a thought. Maybe that's too short of time frame.
Still tired of coteries and bans. But hanging about anyway.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab