Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Television tax - should you pay  (Read 3711 times)

Re: Television tax - should you pay
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2006, 12:00:23 PM »
they'll send you a bill.  if you don't stump up, then they'll start sending threatening letters.

they have vans that can detect if you are using the TV. 

you WILL have to pay for a TV license if you are using the TV to watch programming.  tt doesn't matter if it's just 'terrestrial'. 

to avoid trouble, i suggest finding out if/when this person paid hte tax.  don't assume others have paid it for the year.  it's likely the former tenant paid by the month and cancelled it or transferred it when he/she moved.

it's right up there w/council tax for not being able to snake out of - and they do go after people who try to eek out of paying. 

if you're watching programming, make sure you tune into the next series of 'Bailiffs' on BBC1.  A lot of their . . . erm, customers are TV licensee avoidees.

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2006, 12:09:31 PM »
if you're watching programming, make sure you tune into the next series of 'Bailiffs' on BBC1.  A lot of their . . . erm, customers are TV licensee avoidees.

OMG that show completely stresses me out! I pay the TV license the day the bill comes and council tax is on direct debit because of that show! LOL.

I actually don't have any big issues with the tv license except that I agree it should be integrated with the Sky charges as it does seem as though you're paying for the BBC stuff twice. But I do love my commercial free BBC....

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2006, 12:15:02 PM »
OMG that show completely stresses me out! I pay the TV license the day the bill comes and council tax is on direct debit because of that show! LOL.

I actually don't have any big issues with the tv license except that I agree it should be integrated with the Sky charges as it does seem as though you're paying for the BBC stuff twice. But I do love my commercial free BBC....

totally agree Anne!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2006, 12:44:14 PM »
i live in a rented flat where I assume the previous tenant (the owner) paid the tax for the year... I just get terrestrial tv - no sat, no cable.

so... do they send snoopers around to see if your tv is on? if you're caught without paying, do they fine you right away, or send a bill? I've never received anything from them. Perhaps an ignorant American waiver?

and is there a toaster tax? or a dishwasher tax? or a blender tax?

:^)

the previous occupant will most likely have had the license transferred to their new address ...

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2006, 07:04:34 PM »
i live in a rented flat where I assume the previous tenant (the owner) paid the tax for the year... I just get terrestrial tv - no sat, no cable. 

Your TV licence moves when you  move.  The previous owner took his licence with his TV.  Licences aren't for a property, they are for the people living in them.
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2006, 07:14:49 PM »

I'd like to agree with this, too! I love the BBC and think television would be pretty poor without it. I also listen to Radio 4 and Radio 2 all the time, and the BBC website is one of the best out there! To me, it's a bargain.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Got my UK DL! Wife says Lord help us ...
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2006, 07:31:35 PM »
Yep. The TV Gestapo will come to your house in a high-tech detector van (which you also finance) or some creep with a handheld will hang around your place to catch you, and fine you for using a TV without a license. How dare you even think about watching TV for free. Whaddaya think this is, the US? Where TV networks have to compete for viewers with interesting, informative or entertaining programming. Where they also sell time to businesses for commercials. Sure you get loads of commercials, sometimes, but I'd much rather the BBC have to cut into EastEnders with a couple adverts to pay its own way than dun me for £130+ every year!
And they recently got another 10 years to continue doing the same. Britains are apparently quite content to continue financing this rubbish.
TV tax? no I say TV PENALTY!
At the SONIC: Large Cherry Limeade please ...

• Snaps
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2006, 07:37:50 PM »
Whaddaya think this is, the US? Where TV networks have to compete for viewers with interesting, informative or entertaining programming.

Ah, yes. The nation that brought us Jerry Springer. ;)

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2006, 07:41:35 PM »
Ah, yes. The nation that brought us Jerry Springer. ;)

Indeed yes, the good with the bad, but it's about CHOICE

• Snaps
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2006, 07:45:53 PM »
Indeed yes, the good with the bad, but it's about CHOICE

Where's the choice? In the US, I had no choice but to watch commercial television. A lot of it sucked, but that's all there was. Yes, I could have had HBO or Showtime or something else, but you have to pay for that. There was PBS, but half the time there was no programming because they were busy begging for donations. I'd much rather have paid an annual fee and had good year-round programming.

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2006, 07:47:56 PM »
I don't watch BBC cause most of it sucks...IMO...I can't tell you the last time I watched any BBC program

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2006, 07:48:43 PM »
I'd much rather have paid an annual fee and had good year-round programming.

Well then, welcome to Taxland!

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2006, 07:50:57 PM »
The TV Detector van detects nothing. It is a scare tactic to get people to pay up. The TV Licensing Authority prints a list, divides it and issues it locally. It employs or sub contracts people to knock on doors requesting sight of your license. They randomly select an address either side of an address that DOESN'T have a license. It is the home without a license that they are trying to check. If the people at this address do not answer they are sent a notice telling them that a signal was detected blah de blah. This is untrue.

As much as I enjoy BBC TV et al I resented paying a license fee simply because it was a taxation I couldn't avoid paying, very much like the congestion charge in London, but you have to pay both or face prosecution so I just did it as many law abiding people do. However resentfully I might feel paying it, it does at least provide some decent programming which is more than can be said for 99% of the shite on US TV. That includes PBS which sadly provides the Shi**iest of BBC comedy over and over.

• Snaps
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2006, 07:54:57 PM »

If by "Taxland" you mean the UK, I am very happy to live here and have no complaints! If I didn't like it, I'd live somewhere else. :D

I don't watch BBC cause most of it sucks...IMO...I can't tell you the last time I watched any BBC program

Sorry, MeShell, but that's really sad. And also a little surprising.

• It's 4:20 somewhere!
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2006, 08:46:35 PM »

And who do you think funds VOA (Voice of America)? The American taxpayer and you have no choice. At least you can forgo the UK TV License if you abide by the applicable rules. VOA you fund regardless. For Fiscal Year 2006, the U.S. Congress appropriated $166 million! 

I bet you never see or hear of any VOA program criticising the US Government yet the BBC. At least the BBC is independent of the UK gov, relatively speaking.
Still tired of coteries and bans. But hanging about anyway.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab