Hello

Sponsored Links

Poll

How much did your wedding cost?  (in dollars)

Less than $100
10 (10.5%)
Less than $500
14 (14.7%)
Less than $1000
7 (7.4%)
Less than $5000
23 (24.2%)
Less than $10,000
14 (14.7%)
Less than $15, 000
8 (8.4%)
Lesss than $20,000
4 (4.2%)
Less than $30,000
5 (5.3%)
Less than $40,000
2 (2.1%)
Less than $50,000
2 (2.1%)
More than all of those!
6 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Topic: How much did your wedding cost? And poll!  (Read 5528 times)

How much did your wedding cost? And poll!
« on: April 02, 2006, 11:15:46 AM »
Another post got me thinking.  I had no idea how much weddings could cost.  Mine cost fifty bucks.   :)

• Liked: 2
Re: How much did your wedding cost? And poll!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 11:18:54 AM »
we spent £250 and that included the honeymoon, but not the rings. The rings were £300.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 11:19:38 AM »
$50, that's how much my mom said she'd give me for mine.  ;) because that's what her mother gave her! I think there should be inflation costs calculated in there somehow.  ;)

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 11:21:33 AM »
Another post got me thinking.  I had no idea how much weddings could cost.  Mine cost fifty bucks.   :)

Wow, don't tell my parents  ;)

• Damn you vile woman!
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 11:24:07 AM »
$50..  wish that is all mine is costing! At the moment it is under £2000 which people keep telling me is cheap for a wedding, my biggest expense has been for my dress, although I haven't added the cost of flights for him mum to fly over yet.  That should help my price tag go up!
Money talks, but chocolate sings!

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 11:24:22 AM »
My first wedding - about $3000, including finger-food buffet for 300 people.
My 2nd wedding- about $200
My 3rd wedding-  about £500

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 11:32:16 AM »
Well, since it's my wedding woes that spawn the post, I'll give you a run down of what it is and what it costs.

The big cost, at $17,000 is the hall.  That's for less than 100 people at $150 a head (a nice, conservative, middle-of-the-road price for the NYC area) which includes cocktail hour, tableside choice of three entrees, seconds if the guests want them, open bar (not the premium one, that was more expensive), cake, and coffee.  At approximately 95 people, with 15% gratuity and 6% sales tax...$17,370 total.

My dress was $1200.  The alterations, approximately $300.  My shoes, $8 from eBay.  Veil, $10 from eBay.  Tiara, $20 from eBay.  Hair appointment, manicure, pedicure, facial, make-up application, $200 (mostly a gift from a friend)

Flowers for bride, three bridesmaids, two mom corsages, four buttonieres, flower petals....$450 from the local grocery store.  (A steal when you consider at the small ceremony I paid $110 for my small bouqet alone).

Photographer, $1600.  Again, a steal for the area.  She's a friend from work.

DJ, $1000.  Includes cocktail hour coverage and total reception coverage.  Playing the Macarena will instantly result in my tearing up the check for him.  This is understood.  *Bridezilla rawr*

Save the dates: $20.  We printed them ourselves.  Invites, $75, also printed ourselves.

Rehersal dinner: $200 at local pizza parlor.  We eat a lot of pizza.

Random and sundry accessories which have yet to be purchased: guest register and pen, champaigne flutes, cake server set, cake topper, pew bows, aisle runner, hotel night for me and DH, flower girl accessories, bubbles, favors, bridesmaid & groomsman gifts.  I'm sure there's more I've forgotten that I haven't done yet.  

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 11:36:01 AM »
Sorry, I wasn't having a go or asking for justification.  I was just interested in what the norm is. 

• Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 11:40:02 AM »
It's definitely easy to spend a lot of money on a wedding and I have noticed florists in particular whack up the price of a bouquet when you put the word "bridal" in front of it.  In fact put "bridal" in front of anything and the price goes up.  I think the trick is to decide beforehand how much you are going to spend and stick to it even if it means you have to chop the guest list a bit or have a smaller cake or whatever.

• It's an adventure now.
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 11:40:22 AM »
Oh no, I didn't think you were having a go at me!   :)  I was just laying it out, becuase $20,000 is more than even *I* expected to spend on a wedding!  I belong to a LOT of wedding communities on LiveJournal and this kind of question is a constantly asked one, and the consensus is always that it varies by region.  We're having a small-ish wedding at a fairly middle-of-the-road but still nice place in the NYC area, so it's bound to be more expensive than someone having a similar event in, say, central Iowa.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 01:20:52 PM »
It's definitely easy to spend a lot of money on a wedding and I have noticed florists in particular whack up the price of a bouquet when you put the word "bridal" in front of it.  In fact put "bridal" in front of anything and the price goes up. 

there is a funny bit on this show called Man Stroke Woman where a couple is getting married and they are going to various places to find out how much the stuff that they want is going to cost.  they go into a florist, tell them that they want 10 dozen roses nice arranged in their own vases.  the florist shows the couple a nice arrangement and tells them it will be £50 each.  then the florist casually asks what the occasion is and the woman blurts out "We are getting married!!".  then the florist says, "in that case, you'll want our wedding arrangement which is £100 each." but it's the same exact arrangment, in the same exact vase and everything.  then the groom makes a big stink on how they look identical but are twice the price.  then the florist says "um...no sir...this is our wedding arrangement."  then there are a few more skits with them going to look at wedding cakes, halls, bands, etc.  and all the same thing...once they find out it's for a wedding, the price it doubled.

it doesn't sound like it's that funny when i type it all out...but it really is amusing if you watch the show.

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 01:23:41 PM »
forgot to mention how much mine cost:

£100 for my dress
£10 for my shoes
£120 for DH's suit
£95 to get married

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 01:25:43 PM »
WHOA....i wanna know who selected "more that all of those" in the poll!!  more than $50,000 for a wedding....it had to have been a gala affair!! 

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 01:26:19 PM »
WHOA....i wanna know who selected "more that all of those" in the poll!!  more than $50,000 for a wedding....it had to have been a gala affair!! 

i think i pressed a wrong button here...didn't mean to post this again.  sorry guys.

• It's an adventure now.
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 01:30:43 PM »
Out in the NY area I have friends whose families have spent anywhere from $125,000 to $250,000 on their weddings.  Lavish affairs they were, with caviar and designer gowns and twenty person bridal parties, string quartets for the ceremony and full bands for the reception.  They make my little $20,000 production seem like Grandma's backyard barbeque (which is actually what I would have preferred, but my mother nixed the idea).  One couple I know flew their rabbi in from Israel to perform the ceremony.  This would be the couple whose parents included "pre-wedding plastic surgery" in the budget. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab