Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Early withdrawal penalty on retirement funds  (Read 586 times)

• Liked: 0
Early withdrawal penalty on retirement funds
« on: April 05, 2006, 05:42:35 PM »
I'm asking this more in hope than expectation, but haven't found anything that specifically answers this....

After working in the US from 2002-4, I received an early distribution from my defined contribution retirement plan (the plan description mentions 401(a) if that means anything) in 2005. No tax was witheld and I've received a 1042-S but no 1099-R. My question is whether as a non-resident I am subject to the 10% early withdrawal penalty.

Other, possibly relevant info:
- Income from which my contributions were taken was exempt from US income tax under article 20 of the US-UK treaty
- The distribution was used to pay off a US credit card, so was not remitted to the UK....I think that means no tax here
- I can choose to file jointly as a resident with my US citizen wife which would easily wipe out any regular income tax on the distribution

Thanks in advance.....

• Death and taxes: I'd rather pay tax than be dead.
    • British American Tax
Re: Early withdrawal penalty on retirement funds
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 07:23:58 PM »
You'll need to mention (a) which country you're a citizen of and (b) which country you are resident in at the time you took out the distribution.

The 10% withdrawal penalty is a penalty, not a tax; so as far as I'm aware, it's due no matter where you live.  Guya, have you seen anything to the contrary on this?
Liz Z i t z o w, EA
British American Tax

Re: Early withdrawal penalty on retirement funds
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 05:24:49 PM »
You'll need to mention (a) which country you're a citizen of and (b) which country you are resident in at the time you took out the distribution.

The UK on both points.

Sponsored Links