Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US vs Uk products  (Read 4458 times)

• Liked: 0
US vs Uk products
« on: September 06, 2002, 11:33:51 PM »
Does anyone know of a site or have some kind of list of US products like  shampoo, deodorant, etc.. that are available in the UK or are comparable to US products? I dont want to fill my suitcases with this kinda stuff unless i know i have to. Thanks   :)
"I've always wanted to be somebody, but I see now I should have been more specific."
-Lily Tomlin

Re: US vs Uk products
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2002, 08:17:56 AM »
Does anyone know of a site or have some kind of list of US products like  shampoo, deodorant, etc.. that are available in the UK or are comparable to US products? I dont want to fill my suitcases with this kinda stuff unless i know i have to. Thanks   :)

I'm not sure about a web site but perhaps if you list things that you might want to bring with you and then maybe someone will be able to say whether there is anything similar, (or better?) available in the UK.
Richard

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2002, 10:09:26 AM »
well making a list for me could get kinda dangerous, i could go on forever but heres a few basic things:

-Clean and Clear
-Secret Deodorant
-Biore Face Stuff
-Any american brand shampoos( i know i saw Pantene last time I was there)
-Mentandent
etc......i know most likely i will find most of the stuff im looking for, but if not, if anyone one knows anything comparable or "better" ;)
"I've always wanted to be somebody, but I see now I should have been more specific."
-Lily Tomlin

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2002, 11:16:38 AM »
I just wanted to say that I'm not having a go at you personally, but this has come up a few times before and I feel the need to comment.  Life is going to get very expensive and very inconvenient if you can't see yourself using anything but American products.  Yes, some products are the same or similar,  there will be some you've never seen before.  Some you'll like, some you won't.  But the fact is that, you're moving to a foriegn country, the foriegn country's not moving to you.  If there are products you can't live without, then stock up.  But toothpaste and shampoo is all pretty much the same :).  
Probably alot of this is nerves about the unfamiliar, and by reading some of this forum it may sound like we spend all our time pining for American products.  But the truth is, we don't.  We may fill our suitcases when we go home but by and large we shop for things here without much thought.  As a matter of fact my mom spends as much in the Bodyshop and Boots when she comes to visit me as I do when I go home.   :)

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2002, 03:01:48 AM »
well this is also nothing personal, but i already realize that im not going to find everything i use there, hence the question. i have no problems with using other products. I am fully aware that i am moving to a foreign country and i have spent enough time there to realize that things are going to be different and my question has nothing to do with nerves about moving. i appreciate your response, but i understand what im getting into, my question was just out of simple curiosity about random products that i use.
-Lily Tomlin

• When in doubt, pinky out.
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2002, 07:36:02 AM »
Hi Hibernaut,
Try Boots online at:

http://www.wellbeing.com/index.jsp

Moving to a foreign country is such a huge life changing event.  Sometimes it's wonderful, sometimes it's difficult.  Starting out with a supply of familiar things does make it a lot easier.  I say bring some stuff with you, then as you run out you have the time to find new alternatives.  I personally brought 6lbs of coffee beans with me LOL (from Seattle, we mainline the stuff).  Not that I didn't think they had coffee in England, just that I wanted something familiar and the time to find a new brand that I liked.  I also brought Aussie shampoo & conditioner, and when I ran out, I went to Boots and got -> Aussie shampoo & conditioner.  You'll also find many products are the same thing, same packaging, different name.  Anyhoo, check out the site, what they don't have bring with you.  And don't forget the measuring cups!

Jana :)

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2002, 05:32:20 AM »
The time I stood in front of Virgin checkin moving half the contents of one bag to another because all my American grocery goods made the one bag too heavy...I will never forget my embarassment. Equally I will never forget how mundane this was for the clerk, and I realized they go through this all the time. And, as time went on, I gradually moved across to using things sold here (though there are a few I will NEVVAH give up). Mindy's right, there's great stuff here. And Jana's right, coming across with your comfort things makes the transition smoother. It's not being dumped on a totally different planet all at once.

Boots is a good site to check out; you may also look through what Tesco has to offer with their online shopping.

Since I am older and infinitely wiser...okay, I am older and like to give a lot of advice...I would suggest you come across without all those products. Get a few you can't do without until your first venture to the store, like shampoo and toothpaste. Maybe even some skin products you just can't live without. Save room in your baggage for the important, non-replaceable stuff, and then go nuts in the shops here, trying out all the new stuff. I've come across some incredibly wonderful surprises. (I have sensitive skin, for instance, and was at first nervous I'd have to live with constant rashes, until I discovered the products here are much better for my skin.)

Two things I don't use UK-style are deodorant and tampons. Everything else I prefer here. Personal choice.

As for what you listed...

Clean and Clear - Got an extensive range:
Clean & Clear Cleansing Lotion 200ml      £2.39
Clean & Clear Cleansing Lotion Sensitive 200ml      £2.39
Clean & Clear Cleansing Cream Washing 150ml      £2.75
Clean & Clear Dual Action Moisturiser 100ml      £3.45
Clean & Clear Exfoliating Daily Washing 150ml      £2.49
Clean & Clear Deep Cleansing Facial Wipes 25      £2.48
Clean & Clear Fresh Foam Washing 150ml      £3.39
Clean & Clear Cleansing Lotion 150ml      £3.49

Secret Deodorant - I was sure I'd seen this somewhere on the shelves here, but the only things I see listed in my grocery aisle are: Mum, Sure, Dove, Nivea, Sanex, Soft & Gentle, Natrel Plus.

Biore Face Stuff - Dunno what it is, but you can bet there's something same or even better here. I use Dermologica stuff.

American shampoos - Loads of shampoos you're used to seeing down American aisles, including L'Oreal, Alberto Balsam, Organics, Dove, Neutrogena, Johnsons, Elvive, Herbal Essence, Head and Shoulders, VO5, Pantene, just to scratch the surface. You will also find the salons have the popular salon shampoos as well.

Mentadent - Yes:
Mentadent Original Toothpaste 100ml £1.00
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2002, 03:21:12 AM »
Thank you so much for the response Jana, I am actually looking forward to getting all different stuff, its just when you have used the same deodorant since you were sixteen, its comforting that you can be eased into using something else...I asked my fiance about the measuring cups, this came up a while ago, and he insists that its not a problem to find, but i am going to pack some just incase, i think his local cooks for him more then himself so i will trust you with that one..:)
And a big hug LisaE your list was more then a help. Thank you so much..I am just going to take the essentials, as far as personal stuff is concerned and wing it with the rest, but it is very nice to know some of the things i like are easy to find..:)
-Lily Tomlin

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2002, 12:53:30 AM »

I've just had another thought as a result of reading the posts above.  

Why not have a look on the bottles, tubes and packets of toiletries etc that you use in the US and you should be able to find that most manufacturers have a web site.  Then you should be able to find whether they sell the products in the UK, and if they use a different brand or trade-name for basicially the same product.

For starters anything made by Unilever or Procter & Gamble should be available in the UK.
Richard

• Liked: 24
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2002, 02:37:53 PM »
I use Secret, everything else I've tried is crap, honestly. I did not find it at Boots the last time though, which worries me, got Mitchum instead (doesn't work, don't bother), so I'm checking Superdrug this afternoon. It better be there.  [smiley=beadyeyes.gif]

Overall, in the toiletries department, you'll find most of your American products here, cosmetics as well. :)

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2002, 10:44:31 PM »
Hey Leah, hate to be the bearer of bad news.....A Superdrug just opened up across the river from me.  No Secret.  I did find it once at Boots months ago and never found it again.  So that is one of the products I do stock up on when I come home (along with Aveeno lotion and playtex tampons) because B.O. is just something I don't have a stomach for and probably overly paranoid about smells...  Glen always comments on how much perfume I put on along with the matching lotion, powder, etc.  Hey I'd rather smell like a perfume factory than have B.O. especially when central A.C. is a rare commodity..

For the most part I've found most of the products I've used at home also in London.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

• Liked: 24
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2002, 05:15:22 PM »
Ah yes, I asked the staff what happened to Secret. Discontinued. Ugh.  :o  I picked out some Arrid XX and threw out the Mitchum, it's working at least. ::)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2002, 01:34:50 AM »
I've seen assorted Biore products in all sorts of chemists, from the small neighbourhood ones to chains like Boots and groceries like Sainsbury's.  You just kind of have to scout around, because it seems that not every branch of a chain carries the same things, or even complete lines of stuff.

I'm kind of backwards on this situation; I've been having Phil send/bring me Garnier "Pure" line face products (astringent, moisturiser, and face wash) since June of 2001 as I've found it works better for my oily skin than anything I'd tried Stateside!

Anyone know where I can find Noxema products, though?  They've really worked the best for my 14-year-old son's face, and I can't locate it anywhere.  I can have my mother send some over if necessary, but I'd rather find it here.  He really isn't patient enough to go trying product after product...!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2002, 05:45:37 AM »
The search for Noxema has given me a can't-sleep-and-it's-2am mission. Noxema is a tough one. Any site by the manufacturers say "US and Canada only" even when writing about enquiries, so I doubt they even try to sell it here.

Proctor & Gamble don't even list the UK as having a website for their products:
http://www.pg.com/common/global_splash.jhtml

You might want to phone or write their UK office to personally ask "what gives?"

Procter & Gamble UK
Woking Hollywood House, 4th Floor
Church Street East
Woking Surrey, GU21 1 HJ
United Kingdom

Phone: 44-1-48-377-4700
(Gads, even the phone number is listed as calling from the US! Ehem, YOU would dial it as: 01483 774 700.)

We might have to head off to Paris for a weekend...you for Noxema and me for OB.

I did find B2B online ordering out of Birmingham; they do ask for "trade only", but they also provide a "contact us" so if you bat your eyes and ask sweetly maybe ...

http://www.afroshack.co.uk/acatalog/Afroshack_Noxema_739.html
lists:

• Noxema - Pump Plus 10.5oz        £3.75       
  • Noxema - Cream 14oz        £5.49       
  • Noxema - Cream 10.5oz        £4.15       
  • Noxema - Cleansing Lotion Original 310ml        £3.89       

Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2002, 10:31:51 AM »
I've never seen Noxema here, and I've looked.  But for a teen's face I can reccomend some of the tea-tree based products.  Boots has an extensive range.  They're effective, yet also gentle and soothing.  Poor kids.  

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab