Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Great battles for the Brits?  (Read 6396 times)

Great battles for the Brits?
« on: April 08, 2006, 11:21:26 PM »
OK, I really, really hate when people ask other people to do their research for them, but I'm fairly stumped because I don't know where to begin.

What I'm  looking for is an example of great British military tactics and planning in wartime--something along the lines of Agincourt, but preferably somewhere in the 18th-19th centuries.  I looked at Waterloo, but it seems (and forgive me if I'm wrong, I'm just going by what I recall from school and what I saw online) that was more Napoleon's mistake than Wellington's great planning.

I don't need a lot of info on it, just if anyone can give me some names?  Or even some websites that might have the info?  I'd really appreciate it.

• Liked: 0
Re: Great battles for the Brits?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 01:10:47 PM »
What about the Battle of Trafalgar?  Or does it need to be a battle on land?
Bored

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 11:57:58 AM »
This looks quite useful:

http://www.britishbattles.com/

The Battle of Blenheim, won by the Duke of Marlborough was 1704 - is that too early?
There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 05:34:47 PM »
Thanks loads!  Very helpful!

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 07:59:17 PM »
OK, I really, really hate when people ask other people to do their research for them, but I'm fairly stumped because I don't know where to begin.

What I'm  looking for is an example of great British military tactics and planning in wartime--something along the lines of Agincourt, but preferably somewhere in the 18th-19th centuries.  I looked at Waterloo, but it seems (and forgive me if I'm wrong, I'm just going by what I recall from school and what I saw online) that was more Napoleon's mistake than Wellington's great planning.

I don't need a lot of info on it, just if anyone can give me some names?  Or even some websites that might have the info?  I'd really appreciate it.

I think saying that Waterloo was lost rather than won is in no way giving Wellington his just dues it was not Napoleans finest hour and a large part of that was because he lost.  The British troops were greatly outnumbered and Wellington used his "Thin red line" tactics once again to great effect as he had done through Spain.  His Stubborness not to give up the high ground leaving the French left having to take the fight uphill across a quagmire to him.  Withdrawing his troops behind the rise of the hill during the canon bombardment and the quick movement of his troops into squares when the french cavalry commander did make his mistake.  All through his commands Wellington used the tactic of training his army to be as good as they could be by placing new recruits with seasoned soldiers and having so many Irish and Scottish soldiers (probably with the ghurkas the best fighting men in the world).  Tactics are not just played on the day but often built upon over years.

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 05:21:29 AM »
Technically Blenheim wasn't a British victory since the act of Union wasn't until 1707. It's an important distinction if you are concerned with British battles rather than battles fought by one of the Home Nations prior to the relevant nation becoming part of the United Kingdom.

Trafalgar is certainly one of the greatest British victories in history (and some may argue the greatest).  There is also the Battle at Rorke's Drift, where 139 British troops held out against several thousand Zulu warriors. The Battle of Balaclava, even though it was a strategic defeat, was the scene of the famous 'Charge of the Light Brigade', and may interest you.

EDIT: I just saw that this topic is rather old. That's what I get for not checking first. :P

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 05:06:53 PM »
Some would say that the Battle at Rorke's Drift was a Welsh victory  ;)

Vicky

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 01:38:54 AM »
British military history! 

Well, Rorke's Drift was dramatic and goes down in history as an inspiring example of cussedness and glorious defiance, evoking emotions rather like the Alamo does, but not much really for tactics and strategy. 

BUT for my own view, this amateur historian votes for the 1st Anglo-Sikh War, and specifically for the three main battles around the Sutlej River.  Vastly outnumbered, outgunned, out everything, and they used tactics and maneuvers to gain the upper hand.  Three battles, and three days of total absolute military genius.  Had they dug in like at Rorke's Drift, it would have been over in a few hours.  Quite astonishing to read the diary accounts of the veterans.

During the peace negotiations, Queen Victoria was gifted the Koh-i-Noor Mountain of Light diamond.  Arguably the largest diamond of its kind in the world.  She wore it for a while in her crown, but ultimately decided it looked too gaudy - it is obscenely big.  Today this diamond is in the Tower of London.

If you're visiting the Tower of London, it's one thing you'll not want to miss...

I saw the wiki has an article  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Anglo-Sikh_War

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab