Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Why is it?.....  (Read 593 times)

• Liked: 0
Why is it?.....
« on: April 09, 2006, 12:10:35 PM »
.....That you hire a qualified tax accountant to do your taxes, and then when it comes to tax time he gets another "tax preparer" to do it. Heck, I hired him to do it! How do I know this other person is qualified? Aagh! >:(

• Liked: 102
Re: Why is it?.....
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 02:31:20 PM »
I am a little puzzled now.  I had thought you could not file yet (because you did not qualify as yet to claim the foreign earned income exclusion), but still wanted to pay taxes you owed by April 15th??

In any case you need a dual qualified US/UK tax adviser.  Which one are using?  If I knew that, I am sure I could recommend an adviser familiar with your kind of tax position who would prepare and sign your tax returns as you desire!!

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 02:56:58 PM »
Hi Guya

I cannot file my returns yet as I do not qualify for the foreign income exlcusion; however, I have to have someone file the extensions for me by April 15th. By filing my extensions and paying the amount due by April 15th I will avoid any interest.

Is it normal to have a tax accountant and for them to get someone else to do it?

• Liked: 102
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 04:28:40 PM »
The answer is "perhaps".  What does the engagement letter say that you will have signed when you engaged the adviser?  What qualifications does the adviser have (eg who regulates him/her)?

• Death and taxes: I'd rather pay tax than be dead.
    • British American Tax
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 09:56:35 AM »
I usually have junior staff "file" the extensions at my company (though this year I'm doing it).  I run the computations, create a list of who needs what, the junior fills in the forms, I review and make sure all forms are correct, the junior writes the cover letters, I review and make sure (a) all extensions that need doing have been done and (b) all the extensions are on the cover letter.

It's fairly standard business practice.  The computation is usually done by someone knowledgeable, but the dinky little forms and the cover letters are done in batches.  It's how the juniors become seniors, by being given "easy" work and proving their mettle. 

Another fairly common business practice is to hire in extra help during the busy season.  This may be what your accountant has done.
Liz Z i t z o w, EA
British American Tax

Sponsored Links