Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Bacon Sandwiches  (Read 4080 times)

• Liked: 1
Re: Bacon Sandwiches
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2004, 01:47:54 AM »
I do not mind the lamb...but kidney?  Hmmmm.... can I come over and eat it before trying to cook it? ;D
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2004, 05:56:06 AM »
Okay, you got the correct answer on the bacon v bacon thing (=Canadian bacon) though...Canadian bacon seems to be the "heart" of what I see sold as bacon here. Not a good term to use...um, they tend to first cut of the little "tail" piece so the bacon...okay, let me start over.

Take a piece of UK bacon in one hand and a round, plain cookie cutter in the other. press the two together. The resulting round bit of meat is Canadian bacon. For good measure they may put a false, thin reddish rind around the end. Okay, so Canadian bacon comes wrapped in a long thick sausgage-like tube and it's then sliced. Maybe 10 cm in diameter. Gads I really have to stop overexplaining stuff. I lose myself sometimes.

Next, the baked bean question. I suspect over the years the recipe has evolved with a little more flavoring be put into the US sauce. And I also personally feel the beans themselves are slightly harder in the UK tins. So, if you prefer, it sounds to me like the US baked beans might be baked just a little while longer than the UK ones. But this is just a gut reaction. No proof.

In the US, I recall outdoor BBQs where we'd mix some BBQ sauce and some molasses in with the baked beans and cook over a slow heat. Thick and smokey!
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Rhia's hubby -  the new start in life for me
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2004, 06:08:51 AM »
  Yuk and Yuk once again beanz meanz heinz.   A million housewives every day open up a tin of beans and says, one for you and one for me, one for you - etc etc etc.    As for fresh lamb with mint sauce (yum yum)  - the cost of lamb if you can get it in the states is more than the cost of top grade beef.

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2004, 02:33:40 PM »
"A million housewives every day open up a tin of beans and says, one for you and one for me, one for you - etc etc etc."    

Do they?Well dang I havent seen any  ;D ;D :P heehehehe
 "the cost of lamb if you can get it in the states is more than the cost of top grade beef."

It is very expensive here thats for sure.

• Banned

• English, living in Lewes, East Sussex
    • Pagination Associates
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2004, 06:13:38 PM »
Lancashire Hotpot:  Yes it is a lamb dish, Caitlinn, I'm afraid.  I didn't realize lamb was not your cup-of-tea (if you see what I mean!).

In my recipe you don't have to put kidneys in, Vnice.  Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.  Depends on whom I'm making it for:  I know that some people are not "offally" keen (sorreeeee!!!) on kidneys.  Some people put oysters in (=££££$$$$$ nowadays, but they were a poor person's food once, in the days when you could get blind drunk on gin for £0/0/2d).

It never occurred to me that lamb might be pricey in the States.  Here, hotpot is very much a budget meal, or it wouldn't have been so popular in poverty-stricken Lancashire.

It'll take me a couple of days to post the recipe.  I tend to make it by eye, so will have to figure out approximate measurements etc. - not that it is all that necessary to use exact quantities.  Then I'll post it to a new thread appropriately titled.  I realize I've been getting wildly off-topic here! and I apologize, alzbabybird.

Howard
Deo gratias Anglia redde pro victoria

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2004, 06:32:41 PM »
Howard....that was indeed very "punny"...

as for the off topic bit...well Bacon and Lamb -they are both meat and good to eat! Gee now..feeling all poetic I am! ;D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 07:26:29 PM by vnicepeeps »
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Banned

• Pagination Associates
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2004, 07:01:52 PM »
Right, back to beans: Thanks for that info, Lisa.  You may have lost yourself in the middle there, but you certainly didn't lose me!

You live in a county famous for its bacon (and its beauty) - you are so lucky!

I thought maybe the difference in bean tenderness might be due to different species being used in the two nations, but then I discovered navy beans = haricots.  So it might just be that the beans are sourced differently, or more likely, as you say, ours are cooked for a shorter time.

There's a review of Heinz versus Tesco Value beans at

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/food_and_beverages/food/tesco_value_baked_beans/_review/428904/

Again, thanks.
Howard

• Banned

• Pagination Associates
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2004, 07:14:40 PM »
Now c'mon!  Spill the beans about meatloaf, my American cousins!

(Yes, that is my second sort-of mixed metaphor today, and a very poor attempt to disguise the fact that I'm off topic again!)

And as for you Vnice:
   The standard of your verse is such,
   That I am thrilled! (But not that much!)
                                  Howard ©2004.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 07:15:50 PM by howard »

• Banned

• Pagination Associates
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2004, 07:25:12 PM »
disguise the fact that I'm off topic again!

Though, of course, the topic is Bacon Sandwiches, *not* Baked Beans.  I had forgotten.  Silly me!

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2004, 07:38:45 PM »
*cries, missing mom's meatloaf!*

QUIT MAKING ME CRAVE THINGS, HOWARD!!!
;D
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2004, 07:47:10 PM »
Okay here it is...the loaf du meat!

1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 medium carrot, cut into 1/8-inch dice (or you can use red/green peppers or nothing)
3/4 lb cremini mushrooms, trimmed and very finely chopped in a food processor (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (I sometimes add a splash of soy sauce too)
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon ketchup
1 cup fine fresh bread crumbs (from 2 slices firm white sandwich bread or whole wheat or just use crackers)
1/3 cup 1% milk (I sometimes leave this out too and just decrease the amount of bread ..you can even use oatmeal but not the steel cut kind.....it should be sticky but not sloppy if that makes sense.)
1 whole large egg, lightly beaten
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1 1/4 lb lean ground beef (or turkey mix of dark and light meat or lamb or whatever mix makes you happy)

Accompaniment: tomato sauce or ketchup
Special equipment: a meat thermometer or an instant-read thermometer

Preheat oven to 400°F.

Cook onion and garlic in oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until onion is softened, about 2 minutes. Add carrot and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated and they are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, parsley, and 3 tablespoons ketchup, then transfer vegetables to a large bowl and cool.

Stir together bread crumbs and milk in a small bowl and let stand 5 minutes. Stir in egg and egg white, then add to vegetables. Add turkey and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to vegetable mixture and mix well with your hands. (Mixture will be very moist.)

Form into a 9- by 5-inch oval loaf in a lightly oiled 13- by 9- by 2-inch metal baking pan and brush meatloaf evenly with remaining 2 tablespoons ketchup. Bake in middle of oven until thermometer inserted into meatloaf registers 170°F, 50 to 55 minutes.

Let meatloaf stand 5 minutes before serving.

Some people like lots of sauce with it.  You can use any good tomato sauce (marinera style) or leave off the ketchup and do a brown gravy type (though this is not traditional.

Sorry most things I cook are a bit at the moment and what I have on hand....never the same twice.  This is a good basic recipe.

• Banned

• Pagination Associates
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2004, 08:11:24 PM »
That's marvelous Vnice!  Many thanks!  (Hope you won't get locked up for too long for divulging state secrets!!)
Howard.

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2004, 09:47:51 PM »
 Ta Pam for the recipie!  :D ;D ;DI love meatloaf even if my two picky sweeties are so well picky hehehehe

• Rhia's hubby -  the new start in life for me
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2004, 02:34:17 AM »
Hey you cant eat Meatloaf howard, hes a very good singer lol................ ;D

• Banned

• Pagination Associates
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2004, 03:07:05 AM »
Hey you cant eat Meatloaf howard, hes a very good singer lol