Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Northern VA (DC AREA) to Hampshire  (Read 570 times)

• Can't wait to move! :-)
  • Liked: 0
Northern VA (DC AREA) to Hampshire
« on: January 07, 2004, 07:42:05 PM »
Hello all! My name is Doreen and I am moving to Hampshire (or near the Hampshire, Sussex, Berkshire borders depending on where I get work), possibly near Farnborough. I am in the process of getting a divorce, and luckily my ex is a nice guy even though we didn't do well as a couple. I will be re-marrying a Brit named Kevin   [smiley=love.gif] who lives in Cove near Farnborough. 2003 was  an interesting year - pending divorce, planning a move to England, re-marriage, my best friend telling me her cancer has returned,  [smiley=sad2.gif] getting laid off and looking for a job, only to find one....needless to say, I am feeling overwhelmed.  [smiley=worried.gif] The only solice I have is that Kevin and I can afford to see each other every 4-6 weeks. Without that, I don't know what I would do.  [smiley=worried2.gif]

Anyway, I hope to participate and make new friends on the board. My move date should be Sept. - Nov. 2004. Less than a year now...

I long to let our love run free,
Yet here I am a victim of geography.
-Billy Bragg

• I fell in love to be let down...
    • My Road to Recovery
Re: Northern VA (DC AREA) to Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 07:55:37 PM »
From a fellow Metro D.C. resident, I wish you only the best of luck  :)  Looks like you're having a heck of a year  ;)
The search for my future ex-wife marches on...

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 08:38:55 PM »
Hi Doreen! Welcome! Goodness, you have experienced a lot in 2003! Here's to wishing you a wonderful 2004!!
Melissa  ;D

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 09:20:27 PM »

Hiya Doreen,and welcome to UKY  :)

So glad that you found us here.There will plenty of (((Hugs))) to go around when you need them ;D

Rhia

• Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 03:34:46 AM »
Welcome on board.  Travelling every month or so must be tiring but love makes it worth it I am sure!  

I know if I had had the chance I would have done that as well. ;D

We managed to see each other every few months until DH moved here to the USA.  

We are not sure when we are going back, but I wanted to wish you the best on your endevours.

Hope to see more posts soon!

The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2004, 02:48:48 PM »
Welcome Doreen,  another fellow DC area expat here...  I just moved here in November to be with my hubby/fiance from the annapolis area to the northern outback of England...

I wish you much luck in your anticipated moved and wait... anything I can help you with, just holler...  and big hugs for all you have endured this past year...  I do understand the turmoil of being overwhelmed with it all.

Shel
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

• Can't wait to move! :-)
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2004, 05:12:06 PM »
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.  :)  I am learning my way around the boards and checking things out here. I see many posts that are helpful or that I can relate to!!!! I have so many things to think about in the next nine months and I am sure I will have many questions.

Yes, the traveling back and forth does get old (UGH) but Kevin does it more than I do as he gets 5 weeks leave and a week off for Christmas. We were able to spend almost 3 weeks together recently which was heaven.  :) We generally get 5-9 days at a time, which is better than nothing!

I am still overwhelmed, though, so I will need the support of friends. Thanks to all who replied.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 05:12:37 PM by Doreen »
I long to let our love run free,
Yet here I am a victim of geography.
-Billy Bragg

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2004, 04:38:24 PM »
Hi Doreen - sorry for being so late in my welcome.  I just got back from seeing my fiance.  So I know how you feel.  Chris and I were just separated for 9 months.  I hope you have a much better 2004.  Best of luck with your move and everything.
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2004, 06:51:47 AM »
My mother and sister live in the DC area, so that's where, as it turns out, we often spend our Easters. It makes a good meet-up point/time with my son, who lives in Florida. We normally stay in the Tysons area since that's near Dulles and has good shopping for those must-have US items to bring back.

I love the Metro and Rosslyn is a family tradition. (We get off, go up the escalator, then back down and catch the next train to continue our journey.) And no trip can be made without a dinner at Sweetwaters.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab