Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Where can I get American food in London and the UK  (Read 208188 times)

• Liked: 0
Where can I get American food in London and the UK
« on: November 15, 2004, 10:13:22 AM »
Hi there,
Apologies for reposting this question but I couldn't find the original thread.

Can anyone give me tips on getting American [brand] food in London? I'm looking for stuff like Cool Whip, Saltines, Velveeta -- - - that sorta thing. Are there stores or online shipping options that you know of?

Thanks so much!
Mimsy2000
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 10:25:26 AM by vnicepeeps »

• Liked: 1
Re: Where can I get American food in London and the UK
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 10:26:49 AM »
I think this is a great topic worthy of being talked about again.  I have expanded the topic to include the UK so I hope you don't mind.

So guys help us out.  Give adresses and websites of places you know of to shop and buy US products!
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Mellowing with age.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 10:37:35 AM »
Costco for saltines..  I've never seen Cool Whip or Velveeta here though. 
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 10:40:10 AM »
WEll, you'll never get Cool Whip. You need to accept the pain now! Nothing refrigerated or frozen is going to be found....at least none that I've seen.

I'm not sure if Made in America foods is still in business. I've just had a google and found nothing...I could drive over there and check as its not too far from me...
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 10:48:43 AM »
Cybercandy (www.cybercandy.co.uk) -- a shop in Covent Garden -- mostly candy, sodas, snack cakes, cereal

Patridges in Sloane Sq - some cereal, Welchs grape jelly, assorted odds & sods

Tesco has a brand of crackers that are similar to saltines.  A bit harder, but pretty darn close.  See http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=1984.msg19842#msg19842 for more details

Sainsburys has Skippy peanut butter and has recently started selling Oscar Meyer bacon.  You can also find Oscar Meyer bacon at Harvey Nicks in London.

Tesco and Sainsburys have Bisquick and Sun Maid raisins.

And of course, Krispy Kreme locate in Harrods: http://www.krispykreme.com/storelocatoruk.html
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 10:52:15 AM »
Hi Mimsy,

Depending where you are in London there is a small chain of convieniece stores called Partriges they are in Sloane square and Gloucester road. They do carry saltines not Velveeta. Velveeta can be sent in a care package because it doesnt need to be refrigerated. They also have a quite a few other american items. I have never seen coolwhip here.I doubt you can get it here unless you have access to a military PX.
If you have a car and you join Costco, they have more U.S goods.

There is a few online options but they are bit pricey.

http://www.skyco.uk.com/

Good luck

jc

• Smiley Gifts World
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 10:54:17 AM »
http://www.skyco.uk.com/aboutus.asp

There are a variety of american products available on this site - delivery is free if you order £50 or more!

Helena

oops I really should read posts better..this was obviously mentioned right above me!! sorry!

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 11:26:08 AM »
This should be made a sticky topic! Try the Rosslyn Deli in Hampstead, this is their website but they have other stuff instore that isn't on there:

http://www.delirosslyn.co.uk/

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 11:34:28 AM »
thanks for the links everyone - i'll start investigating them today.

[i agree that this would be a great collection of links to have readily available like the 'list of hotels in london' posting]

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004, 11:41:45 AM »
It has been stickied already! ;D
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Banned

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2004, 02:28:18 PM »
There is a shop in Virginia Water (high street I think) that sells American foods. It is a butchers with a lot of other stuff.

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2004, 04:03:58 PM »
There is also a good place next to Richmond station.  It sells loads of imports, but they don't consistently stock anything. 
"It doesn't matter what you do in the bedroom as long as you don't do it in the street and frighten the horses."   Mrs Patrick Campbell (1865-1940) English Actress

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2004, 04:08:42 PM »
It has been stickied already! ;D

oops! thanks Pam  [smiley=daisy.gif]

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2004, 04:19:54 PM »
St Johns Wood (nw8) has Panzer's Food Store near the High Street which specializes in American food (we have many in the area)...about 1 block from the tube station...

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2004, 06:47:55 PM »
Selfridges has corn syrup and Hershey's syrup and a couple of other things.  And Secret's Farm Shop in Surrey has Arm&Hammer Baking Soda, Betty Crocker Cake mixes and frosting, and seasonal candy and some crisps and stuff. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab