Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Where can I get American food in London and the UK  (Read 208321 times)

• Liked: 585
Re: Where can I get American food in London and the UK
« Reply #795 on: December 23, 2013, 07:19:30 PM »

I get annoyed when reading ingredients on labels and it says "vegetable oil" which I suspect means palm oil (bad for cholesterol).

Did you read the ingredients list of the vegetable oil?  I have a litre of plain old Asda vegetable oil and the ingredient is 'rapeseed oil'.  It was like £1.59 or something close to that.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #796 on: December 23, 2013, 07:53:44 PM »
Did you read the ingredients list of the vegetable oil?  I have a litre of plain old Asda vegetable oil and the ingredient is 'rapeseed oil'.  It was like £1.59 or something close to that.

Yeah, I just looked at the label that fell off our dwindling bottle of Morrisons brand vegetable oil & it also says for ingredients 'rapeseed oil'.

BD, are you looking specifically at the cold-pressed rapeseed oil? Perhaps that is what is expensive?
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Liked: 12
« Reply #797 on: December 24, 2013, 04:31:23 PM »
Yeah, I just picked up a bottle of Sainsbury's own "Vegetable" oil and, sure enough, it says "Rapeseed"!!  I guess they must be trying to disguise the "rape" connection or something.   :o 
I'll go for that next time.  I guess I was thrown by the yellow color of the the oil too.  The canola oil is nearly white.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #798 on: December 24, 2013, 04:41:03 PM »
Yeah, I just picked up a bottle of Sainsbury's own "Vegetable" oil and, sure enough, it says "Rapeseed"!! 

I checked mine too and it's rapeseed. :)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 3
« Reply #799 on: December 28, 2013, 03:00:10 PM »
I didn't even realise that rapeseed oil was particularly expensive.
I think the reason it's often just called vegetable oil is people know more what that is than rapeseed oil.
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

• A Yank in Blighty
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #800 on: December 28, 2013, 03:27:11 PM »
I know Tesco's American section has been discussed ad nauseam...but in case anyone is in the area I was quite pleased to discover yesterday that the Tesco in Haverhill's American section was just as good as the huge Tesco Extra in Wembley!

« Reply #801 on: December 30, 2013, 05:43:25 PM »
This place is great! Good variety, and they didn't have something in stock so they called me to suggest an alternative. Also delivered very quickly!

« Reply #802 on: January 15, 2014, 12:42:42 PM »
On the topic of oil, I've been giving peanut oil a go recently when cooking stirfrys at home. Taste is a bit different but works well when wok cooking. I wouldn't recomend using it in curries though. For that I either use olive oil or regular vegetable.

• A Yank in Blighty
« Reply #803 on: January 16, 2014, 10:00:57 PM »
Popped into Fenwick's today at Brent Cross and they had a bit of an American selection

There was another shelf like this. Not everything was American (or hard to find) and some of it was a bit ridiculously priced (the tiny pumpkin pie spice was like £12 or something outrageous, thankfully I had just made my own!)...but some was pretty fair!

Bought these s'more flavored Goldfish for only £2.50 which I didn't feel bad about paying at all!

After this I'm excited to try the one at Bond Street to see if it's the same or better. I know they have a couple locations in other cities too, so might be worth checking out if you're nearby :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #804 on: January 27, 2014, 07:00:17 PM »
I went to Asda today and was surprised to see Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies for £1.50.  Just had one and they are as good as I remember.   ;D

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #805 on: January 27, 2014, 07:02:23 PM »
I went to Asda today and was surprised to see Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies for £1.50.  Just had one and they are as good as I remember.   ;D

I bought some in Tesco last week but they weren't as good as I remembered.  :(
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #806 on: March 05, 2014, 06:12:55 PM »
Howdy All

I'm from Kansas City originally and my wife owns the "Chuckwagon" here in Stratford upon Avon...we serve proper pancakes with Canadian Maple Syrup, the best Cheesesteak you'll find on this side of the pond, BBQ Pulled Pork (cooked 4hours) and Brisket (cooked 6hours) and Steak & Eggs.

The Pork is Saddleback free range and Steak/Brisket is Limousin from a local Midlands farm, burger is 8oz from the local butcher w/ Monterey Jack, breads all fresh from local bakeries -- and we serve some cracking British favourites, too! 

I make a Chili from time to time that won't blow your head off and we even rustle up omlettes (free range eggs) and peanut butter&jelly.

The Chuckwagon is located at 26/27 Western Road (ironically) in Stratford upon Avon CV37 0AH and the number is 07596 102922.  Hours are 07:30 to 14:30 Monday - Saturday -- and we open in the Summertime on Sundays from 10:30 to 13:30 (but we're looking at extending our hours since the place is becoming very popular.)

Plenty of parking and there is room for 20 people to sit and enjoy the good food when the weather permits. 

Always great to see folks from the place of my birth -- so pop by and enjoy some QUALITY American food.

Kevin Cordray

« Reply #807 on: April 17, 2014, 04:46:45 PM »
I'm not over there quite yet but from visiting I can tell you a restaurant chain that does american style food.  In Scotland there is a chain called the Filling Station.  It's yummy and it reminds me of places here like Applebee's, Friday's, etc.  Plus if you go on their site and register you get a coupon for a free appetizer.  They also have their own free wi fi. 

For those who are missing cool whip I just found this link to make your own:
http://www.somethingswanky.com/homemade-cool-whip/ [nofollow]

Good luck!!!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #808 on: April 17, 2014, 05:34:46 PM »
I'm not over there quite yet but from visiting I can tell you a restaurant chain that does american style food.  In Scotland there is a chain called the Filling Station.  It's yummy and it reminds me of places here like Applebee's, Friday's, etc.  Plus if you go on their site and register you get a coupon for a free appetizer.  They also have their own free wi fi. 

I personally think the Filling Station is absolutely vile. But then again, I think Applebees, Fridays, etc are really vile too.     To each their own!  If it makes you happy, go for it.
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #809 on: February 19, 2015, 10:33:04 AM »
It's USA week at Lidl:

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab