Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The company car package experience  (Read 713 times)

• Banned

• Liked: 0
The company car package experience
« on: May 14, 2006, 06:07:34 AM »
Does any have any experience with "Employee Car Ownership Programme"  or "company car package "  specially with 80% travelling in UK ?
Does your company pay for the fuel  and  insurance ...etc?

kal

• Conservative for the moral good of mankind
Re: The company car package experience
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 09:55:12 AM »
My dh husband gets a company car with all fuel and insurance paid for but on the flip side he is heavily taxed for it because it is seen as a benefit. It's only really worth while though if you get a lot of business mileage.
"Be completely humble and patient, bearing with one another in love"  Ephesians 4:2

"All that is necessary for evil to win the world is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 04:16:07 PM »
i have a company car here.  I also have private fuel benefit.  this means that the company pays for all my fuel, not just the fuel i use to do their bidding.

both are taxed as a benefit in kind.  so a percentage of the car's value, and a percentage of the fuel i use is added onto my salary.  then i pay tax on that amount.  (make sense?)

the interesting bit is that the percentage of the car and the percentage of the fuel depends on how clean or dirty it is.  For example, my old car was a VW beetle.  my percentage was something like 23%.  I now have a electric/petrol hybrid Toyoto.  that percentage is only 11%. 

It's worth it to do a bit of homework b/f you blindly accept a company car in the UK.  any more specific questions- just give me a shout (i even have a nifty spreadsheet i made up to figure out my own car tax).
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

• Liked: 102
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 08:28:40 PM »
meggles does broadly have this right.  You pay both UK tax and National Insurance on the benefit.

In addition, and using IRS annual lease value tables, you pay US taxes on the value to you...

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 11:36:26 AM »
thanks guya- i didn't realize I paid NI on the benefits in kind.  no wonder my spreadsheets get it basically right- but not quite.
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab