Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How long is the process for obtaining British Citizenship?  (Read 1248 times)

For those of you that have recently applied for British citizenship, how long did it take from the point of submitting your application to actually getting it?

Can anyone provide their timeline? I know it varies but it would be nice to know.  Thanks!

• Liked: 0
Re: How long is the process for obtaining British Citizenship?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 12:43:39 PM »
we are both americans, and applied late october 2005.  we received a request for certification that we speak english in jan, final notice of citizenship in late feb.  we had to wait until mid may for a swearing in ceremony.  an american friend who is married to a brit applied at the same time, and actually got through her ceremony in late january.

• Liked: 14
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 05:50:34 PM »
Hiya Jules..
I applied end of Sept 05.. and had my swearing in ceremony in March 06..
Kaylesh

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 06:10:57 PM »

Thanks ncny and Kaylesh for your replies! I see you both got in before the "Life in the UK test". I took mine today (and passed, it was nice and easy) and plan to apply in mid June. I will keep everyone posted on my timeline.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 01:22:30 PM »
Hi Jules,

I'm sending my app in this week. I've been told by friends that Oct applications (pre-test) are still being processed! Are you sending yours off or are you doing the Nationality Checking Service? I had planned to do the checking, but they've no appointments for 4-6 weeks! Guess it's a popular service!

I'm struggling a bit with my app as I'm applying on the basis of 5 yr residency from a work permit (got ILR a year ago), but I'm also newly married to a Brit. Some sections can be skipped if you are married to a Brit, which I am, but I'm not applying on that basis! Not sure what to do so I thought I'd go the checking service route...

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 06:08:54 PM »
Hi Elizabeth,

Congrats on your recent marriage!

Regarding the Nationality Checking Service, I don't know about that, never heard of it?  I am not sure about the bits of the app you need help on because I am applying as a spouse of a Brit. Garry or Victoria may be able to assist you with your questions.

Goodness, Oct pre-test apps are still being processed? Yikes! Well from Kaylesh and ncny, they were both pre-test and got through pretty quickly given the glut of apps prior to having to take the Life in the UK test.  I hope the wait isn't unbearably long for us!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 06:10:48 PM by Jules »

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 08:13:21 AM »
Hi Jules,
Here is the link:
http://www.uknationality.gov.uk/ind/en/home/applying/british_nationality/nationality_checking.html

The checking service was started in some councils so that applicants could get their paperwork checked and a copy taken of their passport, and it was more efficient than sending everything to the HO. However, from what I've heard now it is taking just as long. One friend applied in early Oct and got approval in 2 weeks! Another applied then and is still waiting....no idea what's going on. I read though that in Oct they had 4times the usual number of applicants, as so many people applied before the test became a requirement and they are still clearing the backlog.

Are you sending in your passport or are you sending in a copy? I've decided to do the certified copy as I can't be without my passport for such a long time!

As for the paperwork, I will do my best and hope that it meets their requirements!

Thanks for the congrats! Came here for work and fell in love :) I used to pop on this site quite often but haven't been here for ages...need to nose around and see what's happening!

The question that I had on the app is there is, for example, a box which asks 'where you intend to make your home' and it doesn't have to be answered by spouses. Do I answer it? I am a spouse of a Brit, but I'm not applying on that basis. There is a small chance that we may get transferred back to the US so I am hesitant to lie on the form, but also I don't want to cause an issue if it turns out to be nothing...

« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 08:15:27 AM by elizabeth »

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 06:04:24 PM »

Elizabeth,

Thanks for the link...that is very useful, I think I will definitely spend the money to use that service!

Regarding your questions, it may be best to PM Garry or Victoria since they may not look at this thread.

As for the small chance that you may sometime in the future get transferred back to the states, I wouldn't mention that because "you never know". I was only going to be here for a little over a year for my job (even though I came over married to a Brit), it was with an American company (I transfered over for a project) and I am still here! Never in a million years early on did I think we would still be here.  I really don't think not mentioning it is lying...things change, you could take on a new position with your current company (as I did) or move to another company, there are so many variables. Fill out the application with the information you know now.

Best of luck with everything!  ;)

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 06:13:56 PM »
I'm reading this thread, but I can't answer the question.  I can't advise anyone to lie, although putting yes isn't necessarily a lie if you are not sure...I would just say to do what you feel is best.

You could always apply as a spouse - that would solve the problem, and the application will go through just as quickly.

Vicky

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 06:20:20 PM »

Good point, I had the "spousal track" application on my mind when I wrote what I did. Still if Elizabeth doesn't know at this point whether she is ever moving back to the states it sounds safe not to say that. Why would you when you don't really know at the time of application. Anyway, I hope all goes well! Keep us posted on your progress!

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 06:54:53 PM »
Hi there, thanks for the feedback.

I can't apply as a spouse as we've only been married for a few months, not the 3 years...although I've been here for 5.5 with ILR for 1. This is why it's so confusing....but I don't want them thinking I am applying as a spouse and then realising we've not been married for 3 years!

As you say...you just never know what will happen so I'll apply based on the info that I have as of now, and if things change than so be it. When I moved here for work I never thought I'd last 5 years :) And, I'm not sure if I/we would say yes to a transfer back...tough decision!

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 06:58:25 PM »

As you say...you just never know what will happen so I'll apply based on the info that I have as of now, and if things change than so be it. When I moved here for work I never thought I'd last 5 years :) And, I'm not sure if I/we would say yes to a transfer back...tough decision!

Exactly, you like me would never lie....its truly a matter of not knowing where life will take you.  Both of us are settled for here now...whether we go back in the future....you never know!  :)

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 08:22:59 AM »
I'm not sure that you have to have been married to the UK national for three years...but just have to be married to a UK national, have ILR and have been here for three years...

Garry, any thoughts?

Vicky

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 09:03:58 AM »
I'm not sure that you have to have been married to the UK national for three years...but just have to be married to a UK national, have ILR and have been here for three years...

Garry, any thoughts?

Vicky

Three years residence, ILR, and a marriage certificate.  You can get married the day before, and if you have the other two then you're good to go.

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 09:16:27 AM »
Thanks for that! Very good news and now I've nothing to worry about.

Another quick question (sorry!): I see that a solicitor certified copy of a passport (all pages & showing ILR stamp) is acceptable documentation if one needs to travel within 12 weeks (which I do). This little bit of info made my v happy as I don't like to be without my p-port. Tomorrow I'm off to the solicitor to get the certified copy and the app goes in the post on Saturday  :)

Are certified copies of the other documents--marriage license, hubby's passport, my birth certif allowed or must they be originals? As we're off to the solicitor tomorrow I'd thought I'd have him copy and certify the whole lot, as I've realised that I'm down to my last 'official' birth certif.

The note about p-port copy is on the HO website, not within the notes...the inclusion of the other documents is in the notes.

Sponsored Links